Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Thanks for the polite comments PsyKotiC RydeR :)

By the way, as for getting the bolts off, you can break them off with an impact if you can get one....literally break the bolt heads off if you can.
Then slide the calipers off the remaining studs, then grab a hold of that portion and remove them, then replace with new bolts :)
Otherwise, get a good f*ckin grip on them with a 6-point wrench. A 12-point will round those fackers up :(

· SupraCop
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I brought it to my guy in the center of town. he torched it for a few sec took a gun to it and it was done. they also broke the bolts hold the stock exhaust stuff so i can go bpu this week.
blkturbo i ended up painting it myself bc i need to get the car done and inspected. well i kicked my self in the ass bc i went to bleed the breaks the morning i needed to take it for inspection and i could not get the peddle all the way back. If i knew i would have gone with you.

Any way now i have speed bleeder that should be at my door on tuesdays so i am going
for a wednesday inspection.

I am in long valley. (the name says it all, yes its long and it also happens to be a valley) it is morris county.

· Registered
11,717 Posts
PsyKotiC RydeR, where did you get those decals with the striping underneath? I have only saw just the ones with the Supra script. Nice job BTW!!!!

Jason

· Registered
125 Posts
I painted my calipers this weekend (with great tips from Sean, "blkturbo!, Thanks man!), and I used the stencils from hardpipes.com. I was able to use chrome paint to get the results from the chrome decals. Looks pretty good IMO!

· Registered
3,578 Posts
You're welcome! :) Everything went pretty smooth or what? Any pics?

· Registered
125 Posts
I'll get some pics up. I still have my TT stockers (didn't have a camera while doing the job). I guess it went pretty smooth. I gave up on the fronts with the wire wheel after a while (didn't see much difference). You were right about the rears being real simple to smooth down.

For an amature painter, I'm pretty impressed with myself. I didn't have any clear coat, and I'm wondering if an application will help with the resistance of brake dust build-up, because there is already some sign of dirt on the front passenger caliper.

I had to try bleeding the brakes on my own. I used the method of running a hose from the bleeder valve to an empty water bottle and pumping them till the fluid ran out (and the bottle started to fill up). Didn't work the best. However, I only ran through each brake line once (meaning I didn't repeat the process). Peddle pressure is definitely not where it should be, but it's not my daily driver :) so I'll get someone to run through it with me later.

Thanks for your help again Sean. I'll post pics when I have some time to get around to it. Maybe this weekend, unless I find some more time to screw around with the car ;)

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Gotta click on the reputation icon under that person's avatar....

Xenon - I had some lame tool give me a negative rep for telling toyobeastly that I liked his painted headlights :rolleyes:

Reactions: nj94supratt

· Registered
3,578 Posts
The brake dust will build up on the clear just as without it.....it gets stuck/built up in the grooves. When I feel like it, I just get in the grooves with a toothbrush and car soap.

You're welcome Psykotic :)

· Registered
125 Posts
Should I even bother then? I'm not picky about the finish (flat finish currently). It's not wiping off too easily however. Let me know what you think. Thanks again buddy.

· Registered
3,578 Posts
xskaboomx said:
Should I even bother then? I'm not picky about the finish (flat finish currently). It's not wiping off too easily however. Let me know what you think. Thanks again buddy.

Oh, so you're having trouble cleaning them all over?.....not just from in the creases?/ okay, I thought cleaning issues were a little too early for you. The build up I was talking about is simply the build up that you will naturally get in creases, over a period of time/mileage.

If you're having trouble just cleaning them in general....already.....then yeah, its pretty much because you used a spray paint (didnt you?), which is not a slick as flowed-out, professional-grade thickness that you'll get with auto paints (like on your car).
And generally speaking, yes, clearcoat (mainly the professional type, not spray can) will "flow-coat" the surface and make it easier for wiping down/cleaning.

I'd say a spray paint clear (2-4 coats) should help with this, but I cant promise how much....I'm just following the logic that it'll help more than it won't (as with your brakes the way they are now).

· Registered
125 Posts
You're right on the dot. The build up I'm having isn't yet in the creases. The smooth flat surface gets dirt and the flat spray I used makes it hard to wipe off. For a guy like myself who doesn't have immediate body shop access, would a can of clear (2-3 coats as you suggested) be relatively adequate for "cleaning purposes". If not, are my only other options are to take the car in to have the calipers cleared?

I may be doing a RMM lip and Seibon TS hood so a body shop may be in my near future. I just don't want all of my work to go to waste once the dust build up is there and I can't easily fix the dirt problem without a quick fresh coat of new paint. Ughh...what a PITA! ;)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.