Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions in making the stock fan shroud better looking. I saw one about 6 months ago that looked very nice and shiney (Black) I couldnt get a response from the guy how how he did it. Mine is brand new and dull/ugly.

Paint? Buff? Anyone done this before? Pictures?
Stu

·
---
2,768 Posts
Plastic primer and a paint of your choice will work, or krylon fusion. IMO the dual AAP electric fans look better than any stock shroud ever could though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I know i painted mine shiney black a couple of months ago, and posted some pics in someone elses thread at the time, but i'm pretty sure i was never contacted about it by you :(

I basically took mine out, sanded it down (al the visible parts, didn't repaint what you can't see anyway). I then used Duplicolor Engine Enamel spraycan (semi-gloss-black) 500 degrees resistable paint on it. (about three layers, + ofcourse a very thin layer of primer after sanding). It turned out great and while i was doing this, i also repainted about everthing else under the hood. (valve-cover, fuse-boxes, radiator itself, horn, battery holddown, cruise-control-cap, big plastic under the wipers, the wipers)

Anywho, on to the pics

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
luke94------thank youvery much. That is what I wanted to know. Wasnt sure if the rattle can approach was going to work well.

Of course I would have loved to have kept my AAp fans and ditch the shroud, but it just plain doesnt cut it on the road course.

Stu

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
i chromed mine, will have to get a pic
along w/ the fuse box cover

have the machine that does spray on chrome plating, whats used for all plastic chromed parts!

forsale by the way!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Stu,

I've seen a painting process that looks just like carbon fiber. Someone here might have it..not sure. Looks great!!

·
Stock Twins King
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stu,

I've seen a painting process that looks just like carbon fiber. Someone here might have it..not sure. Looks great!!
Wow, now that would be cool. Hopefully the mystery person will chime in.

I think chrome is a bit much imo/

Stu

My next project is to find who makes those spark plug cover is polished aluminum. Saw a guy selling his for $100, but I was too late.

·
19x10 +21 F 19x12 +28 R
2,186 Posts
blackwell got the carbon fiber fan shroud piece on sale ..its a really nice piece Stu!

BTW. thanks for ur PDFs on ur website. VERY USEFUL!

·
Registered
942 Posts
^^^ Let me answer by saying that i personally have had no problems at all with my paint, since i (like i said) used a high temp resistant engine paint. :)

·
MK4 of Them
1,173 Posts

have the machine that does spray on chrome plating, whats used for all plastic chromed parts!

forsale by the way!

xbworkz, im still waiting to get my shroud chromed by you:) anyone else interested in that?

·
Old School
4,065 Posts
Stu,

Jim Edwards, screen name XCLR8.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts

forsale by the way!
off topic: damn! where were you when I was looking to re-chrome the rings on my headlights!?

on topic: pics of the shroud yet?

off topic again: how much you selling that machine for?

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
Wow, now that would be cool. Hopefully the mystery person will chime in.

I think chrome is a bit much imo/

Stu

My next project is to find who makes those spark plug cover is polished aluminum. Saw a guy selling his for $100, but I was too late.
Stu, do you still want the polished/chromed spark plug cover? I have a few I will be selling.

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
i didn't forget about you blackcherry!

trying to sell it to a buddy of mine then you would be set!

and supratico pm me and i'll go into detail

·
Inline for the win
4,746 Posts
I painted mine HOK triple black when my car was painted. It really cleans up the engine bay.

DP

1 - 20 of 22 Posts