Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
searched but no specific answer to my question.

What are most guys doing when painting the lower black moldings. there is a small rubber strip attached to the moldings between the body of the car and the molding itself. paint this? or remove it? how much of a gap is there if i just remove it?

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obviously, you did not read the post you linked to me! It does not answer the question I'm asking about the small rubber strip. But none the less, thx for the bump!!

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts
You obviously did not look at the pics posted in that thread. Otherwise, you would know that your question was answered about how guys treat that strip.

Ken.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,478 Posts
2jz's, Ken hit the nail on the head.

Also, you'll find links to Ken's car in the link he attached. It's a stunning example for those looking for those curious how painting the moldings can change the feel of the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes MDSUPERSTAR you are correct. Ken has an outstanding car. this has nothing to do with respect or disrespect "hgonzalez". its a simple question. I can see the small black strips ARE painted and ARE still on the moldings, BUT are these painted while still stuck on the moldings or taken off, painted, and resinstalled to the molding?? thats all im asking.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,478 Posts
yes MDSUPERSTAR you are correct. Ken has an outstanding car. this has nothing to do with respect or disrespect "hgonzalez". its a simple question. I can see the small black strips ARE painted and ARE still on the moldings, BUT are these painted while still stuck on the moldings or taken off, painted, and resinstalled to the molding?? thats all im asking.
The rear moldings are attached via several screws and a bolt I believe.

The side skirts are multiple pieces, 3 to be exact. The piece that meets the fender is one piece, the part under the door is another, and the vent piece is the last piece. This vent piece is the only piece that comes with body color paint on it from the factory; the top part is body color and the bottom is satin black to match the rest of the plastic molding pieces.

These three are all black plastic from the factory:

Below the line low line is black to match the rest of the moldings, above is painted body color. The piece is a single piece with the two different colors. Picture taken from member exvelocity:

The pieces are typically all taken off the car to be painted, and that's the right way to go about this. Typically the piece that is already painted body color is completely repainted at the same time, or at least blended and recleared.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
so, you're asking if it's better to remove a trim piece before painting?

really? :wtf:

just so you have another perspective as a data point, your response to Ken DOES come off with an air of indignation and a lack of respect whether you intended it to or not. and welcome to SF's btw... we tend to value the input of the guys who have forged the mkIV supra into the legend it is today (Ken is one of these guys btw, in case you didn't know).

craig

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MDSUPERSTAR, I already have all the moldings taken off the car!! Thx for your post but that's not what I was asking.

Craig, no, I'm not asking if I should remove the trim piece before painting. Not trying to be an ass, but have you ever taken these moldings off before? I'm sure you have. There is a small strip of rubber that is attached to these moldings, it's about a 1/4 inch wide that runs the length of the molding. This is what I'm asking about.

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,478 Posts
MDSUPERSTAR, I already have all the moldings taken off the car!! Thx for your post but that's not what I was asking.

Craig, no, I'm not asking if I should remove the trim piece before painting. Not trying to be an ass, but have you ever taken these moldings off before? I'm sure you have. There is a small strip of rubber that is attached to these moldings, it's about a 1/4 inch wide that runs the length of the molding. This is what I'm asking about.
I've pretty familiar with the MKIV body, and these moldings specifically, and I'm unsure what you are speaking of. The only weatherstipping that matches that description that comes to mind it the molding on the cowl where it meets the windshield.

Post up a photo.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
lol, I know what newbie is asking. And to answer his question, it's up to the owner or painter, it can be done either way, that seal can be removed and painted along with the plastic trim pieces and then glued back on, the only problem is securing the seals while painting.This is why I would leave the seals on the trim ,good scrub with Scuff Stuff or Ajax and use adhesion promoter is a must as well as a good quality flixible primer before painting. IMO the seal has to be same color as the trim, otherwise it just doesn't look right, I've seen it and do not like it.

Mike, I didn't forget about you, I should have 3 sets of the cowl seals coming from Toyota on Wednesday ,I'll post pics when I get them

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL exvelocity!! you see what i got when i tried to ask a question. I may be a newbie but i know how to use the SEARCH button. thats one reason why my post count is low. Usually any question i have had i was able to find in a previous post with a search. i was not able to find an exact answer to my question, so thats why i posted this thread. Then i get told that i did'nt search good enough and the thread goes to shit, when in reality my question was never answered until your post. thanks again for your reply. if i have any other questions i'll just PM you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree, I've read many post by ken, and respect his knowledge and opinions, but he pretty much stated that I didn't search/search well enough, which was not the case. As far as I'm concerned is done. I know there's alot of other NEWBIES out there that don't search before they ask a question, and I'm not one of them, nor will I be made out to be.

2jz's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.