Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sorry im not familiar with the terminology but is it possible to paint over (safely) the stripe that goes along the sides and rear of the supra? thanks for any help

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but the thing is i dont want the stripe to appear but to still be there. like just for the stripe to be the same color as my car to kinda blend in

R

·
0 Posts
You can take them off, sand them down, then sand again with really fine paper. Prime them, paint them, sand again, then laquer them.

But for the effect i think you're after, where they blend in, you'd have to fill them in with some body filler, and then paint.
Not sure if you can fill them in though, cos the dents (where the mouldings are) are probably not deep enough.

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
Do not fill them with bondo, they will crack and look very subpar.
Take them off and paint them your body color, like I just did, and many others have.

Chris D.
Boise

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
I am kinda confused on what the guy wants to do... but I have a question

I am gettin my car prepped for paint right now, and am definatley going to get the side trim (body mouldings) painted the same color as the rest of the car.

Imagine if you took a piece of trim (89+) and cut it from top to bottem, then were looking at the side. The filled in area with black would be filler, so basically the trim would now be flush, instead of that lower line that bulges out even more than the rest of the trim. But would this cause cracking?Because I really think doing this would make the trim look cleaner. I made this pic real quick, shitty but to the point :)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
fatboy--it would probably be easier to just get pre-89 mouldings. They don't have the lip.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
my car was repainted (shit job) and had moldings painted.. i like the look.. and when get it painted will have em paint them.. gives it a cleaner look imo.. but didn't like shaved moldings (becauseicans car) its a far away picture but in the sig u can see.. compared to others it just looks cleaner imo

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
paddlenbike said:
fatboy--it would probably be easier to just get pre-89 mouldings. They don't have the lip.
They do however, have those two ridges top and bottom... which catch all kinds of dried wax (mine are painted) and are generally just a pain in the ass.

Fatboy, your plan to smooth the mouldings will be fine, the only concern would be that if the mouldings get hit (their job) the body filler will probably crack.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
paddlenbike said:
I know what you mean, I was thinking the same thing, but after looking at the pre 89 mouldings, and 89+ mouldings in person, they are still different than just that white line, look at the picture to see the difference. Overall, if cracking is not an issue, I think that filling in the 89+ mouldings would look the cleanest. Like you can see in the pics, the pre 89 has more bulges (if you were to fill in the 89 like I want to). But if it doesn't work I will just have them paint over it all, or if I came across a full set of pre 89 mouldings..maybe :)

edit: hawkeye just explained it :)

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
I guess it could be cleaner with the older trim, but I like how the late all plastic trim looks painted. I think it looks clean. Here's mine after re-installing it.

Chris D.
Boise

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea thats pic is exactly what i want to do to mine (except i prefer some sort of gunmetal grey or quicksulver)
when you do that do u just paint over it without applying some sort of primer/sanding?
do i have to take them off when i paint them or can i leave it on?

·
2,279 Posts
sand them or the paint wont have anything to "stick" to realy. Sanding give the paint grip.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Are the molding the same for both eras (86.5-88 and 89-92)? I know that they don't Look the same as far as the actual visible molding, but do pre-89 have all the same screws and pop in places as the 89+?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts