Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I looked thru searches ...I found a lot of what ppl want but I cant find how its done and the tools involved...

to clean your headlights. www.mkiv.com has a good tech section that illustrates how this is done ... but the stuff you need ... mite as well pya someone to do it .. but i like to do things to my baby myself so ill prolly be doing it myself...

But painting the headlights black as like the 97-98 model... using flat black... does anyone have recommendations as to what kind of paints to use for this? Cos there will be high temps and stuff... so any experts know what to use? also, any tips how to do this? steps?

Painting Rims as well... I have fake Racing Hart C5s and want to polish the lip and paint the inner black ... What kind of paint do you use for this? I dont want some super glossy appearance... basic like gunmetal but darker ... I read you sand the rim and coat it with clear after you paint? or use caliper paint to paint on the rim? no ideas but i would like to learn.. any help is appreciated!

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
Not sure about the headlights, but the wheels the best thing to do is go to a paintshop and have them powder coat the wheels, "home painting" ends up looking ghetto like you drift or somthing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.. any idea how much powder coating costs?

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
PM Jesse (spunyluv) about painting and cleaning headlights.

Don't touch your wheels.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I am going to have my stock rims powder coated black since i wont have my aftermarket wheels until april. I was getting qoutes from $30 to $45 a rim including sand-blasting. Where did you get your knock offs? Want to post some pics?

·
HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
3,149 Posts
yea i heard of it being around 50 per rim but be careful if you have any type of lip because my friend got his repowder coated and they did not do avery good job and the the sand balsting fucked his lip all up

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeh ill post some up this evening .... they came with the car when i bought it from some guy in Cali .... dunno where he got them from .. but ill look online and see if i can find them ... may be trying to sell mine too if anyone is interested...

·
Chillen at the Holidae In
254 Posts
Stock Rims look sick with the center powdercoated black. I would like to see some with a crome lip. Anyone got some?

steve

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
like this?

its hard to see the lip in this one, but you can kinda get the idea

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoa..! didnt know those stocks can look o so good... is that urs? how much was all that? are those the NA rims or TT ?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The stock rims does look nice! Toyobeastly, did you painted the black molding on the bottom also?

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
toysupra98 - yes the black trim along the bottom was painted, i think it looks much better that way, but its all preferance

chuboy - yes thats mine

the wheels were powder coated a "graphite" type of color, they look alot better in person.....i am pretty sure the lip was taped off or something with they sprayed the rims

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here are a couple pics of my euro headlights that I painted black. I just used a high temp flat black that I got from autozone, not sure what the brand was but any should be fine. Once you get the lens off painting is easy, just make sure you spray on enough coats so that the chrome doesn't show through. Hope this helps

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did u pretty much use the procedure as in mkiv.com? and was it messy using the silicone to put it back together?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah essentially. The hard part was getting the lens off. You have to heat up the silicon enough so you can pry the lens off, but you can't heat it up to the point where you end up melting your headlight. After that its pretty easy. I bought extra black silicon to seal the headlight back up afterwards, but I found that I didn't really need to use it since there was plenty of silicon left after i removed the lens.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cool.. thnx for the info

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i have been thinking about painting the lights the same as the car, But leaving the chrome rings. Not sure how it would look though. The car will be black.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thas same as a 97-98 black supra .. cos those yrs had black housing

·
Registered
399 Posts
KERR: Go for it, it makes a pretty big difference looks wise especially if you mask off the chrome rings. It was sort of a PITA but well worth it, i've seen some other people that painted theirs all black including the chrome rings and it just doesn't look right.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts