Supra Forums banner

Painting the engine bay:

2K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Raretoy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I am glad I got it done! The motor was out anyway, I wanted to rip out the ABS system since I hadn't had a fuse in that anyway for years. Had to remove all the brake lines while pulling ABS, so I figured this is about as cleaned out as she's gonna get. I had Lots of scratches from all the times I pulle the turbos or changed turbos. The difference now that its painted is huge.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

See less See more
#4 ·
Pics working now

#6 · (Edited)
For me it didnt really take much of either. I mean the motor was already out, I was planning and taking everything brake related off the car anyway so really didn't take extra time. Didn't cost much to do it either. Most body shops will do it for the price of a hood repaint. Well worth it!

[ Motor can be out in one night, then you have to collect all the wires towards the center so they can be easily masked over by the body shop. I took the time to cover each individual connector so nothing got into the electrical while it was away from home being painted. I also zip tied everything up religiously so that none of my wires would fall down through and get snagged. wasn't going to mess with the AC lines and recharging. I was able to get enough slack in the main fuse box wire to lift it up and out during the paint. The smaller fuse box on passenger side was simply shoved out into fender and zip tied in hiding. All the aftermarket gauge wires had to be passed back through the fenders as well so that they were out of the way. Wasn't a ton of work, two evening maybe ]

#7 ·
Raretoy said:
For me it didnt really take much of either. I mean the motor was already out, I was planning and taking everything brake related off the car anyway so really didn't take extra time. Didn't cost much to do it either. Most body shops will do it for the price of a hood repaint. Well worth it!
That's great! Smart thing to do! btw why was ur engine out anyway? u gettin something done? sorry i don't kno u that well, so i wouldn't know wut happened 2 ur engine! Did u use like a heavy duty air compressor with paint gun or lol sorry to say this, spray paint cans? coz one of my bro's friends used spray paint cans and it actually looked good! either way, that's beautiful!
I totally envy you!

#8 ·
We used a compressor with heavy duty paint gun. Using good olde Toyota black # 202 :)
Motor was out getting a new stroker kit for the bottom end and the head was shipped out for a full port and polish job using Ferrea parts ( 1mm+ oversized valves ).
Thanks for the compliments!

#9 ·
Raretoy said:
We used a compressor with heavy duty paint gun. Using good olde Toyota black # 202 :)
Motor was out getting a new stroker kit for the bottom end and the head was shipped out for a full port and polish job using Ferrea parts ( 1mm+ oversized valves ).
Thanks for the compliments!
oh man.... I'm even more jealous....
which stroker kit did u get? how much did that set u back?
dayam... let me go run and hide now into my lil corner! :(

#10 ·
jon - having the ABS brake system out, i assume you don't drive this all the time??? how will it affect the braking system???

L

#11 ·
Dusty has the HKS stokers on Sale for a much better price then in the past. They will set you back about 8G though. Turbo magazine a couple months ago did a dyno test to see what this Stroker actually adds, and if I remember right it was 100 extra hp on demand and almost all of it was low end BEFORE the turbos even come on which is exactly where we need it most! Think of it like a 100 shot bottle to help spool that never runs dry ;)

#12 ·
I hate to admit it but I very rarely drive it anymore. Maybe 1,000 miles a year the last two. I used to drive it more. Local law enforcement pretty much shut down any cruising or hanging out here :furious:
So theres really no reason to go out anymore :rolleyes:
I was running with ABS disingaged for years anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for me now. I wont drive it in rain and of course its only out in warm months.

#13 ·
Jon

yeah becuase i'm also thinking about doing this as well since i will be driving it on nice/warm days, plus it being a show car....i just don't want my brakes to go out on me!!!!

#14 ·
ABS unit up next to the rear HKS turbo always lookd too crowded and distracting to me. Them turbos have the right to sit up there on their own without being a 1/2" away from the ugly ABS unit.

#15 ·
Raretoy said:
ABS unit up next to the rear HKS turbo always lookd too crowded and distracting to me. Them turbos have the right to sit up there on their own without being a 1/2" away from the ugly ABS unit.
that's exactly why i wanna take the unit off!!!!haha.....there's not going to be a problem taking the unit off..i'll be able to brake normally??? sorry for the NEWB questions....

#16 ·
To remove the ABS system it will require you to run all new lines throughout the engine bay.
I can get you part numbers for all this stuff when your ready. Basically you are going to run a line out of master cyl to a splitter and then connect that line to the two rear unions or connectors that then connect to the oem rear lines. Then you run a new line for the front brakes which will also need to be split into two. Curt at Elmheast Toyota helped me find the splitters I needed. You can probably use the factory clips on the fire wall to anchor the line that goes across. For other areas you will need to buy aftermarket anchors to hold the new lines in place. Once you get it all installed, then comes the time to bleed the system, which can be a tons of fun unless you have something like a "mighty Vac" bleed system.
Hit me up when your ready if you need any help with it.

#23 ·
Thanks guys! I guess the moral of the story is, when you gotta pull the motor out do it all while you have it out.

#25 ·
Yeah same building would be tough. I found a paint man only 1.7 miles up the road :)
Still used a roll back though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.