Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my last week having the supra on the road before it gets garaged for the winter. What should I do to it to preserve it for the next 5 months?

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. For one, I think you should park it with a full tank of gas, if the tank is less than full rust can form on the inside above the fuel. You can buy something like a fuel stabilizer that will keep the gas good for when you start it up next year.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
becauseican said:
I am wondering the same thing. For one, I think you should park it with a full tank of gas, if the tank is less than full rust can form on the inside above the fuel. You can buy something like a fuel stabilizer that will keep the gas good for when you start it up next year.
Yea thats what ive heard aswell. If you dont put the stabalizer stuff in the gas can turn into a nasty sludge at the bottom of your tank.

Should i pull the plugs and squirt a couple shots of oil down there to prevent the cylinder walls from rusting? I dont have a heated garage, so i figured it might be kinda hard on the car to do random cold starts every couple weeks.

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
haha my supra's been parked since may :p ..
1/4 gas left in the tank, last time i parked my car was during the winter too and all that time i didn't even start the car till spring and it started up like a dime..:D

·
Registered
311 Posts
what i did with my motorcycle is to use gas stablizer in the tank with a full tank o gas so that the tank won't rust... then run the engine abit so that the stablized gas got into the fuel lines.
take out the battery and use a battery tender to charge it over the winter...
Make sure you charge the engine oil and filter before putting it away... can't think o anything else.. oh if you can pump more air into the tire than your regular preasure.
also put something non plastic between the tires and the floor, so that the tire won't get oxydized... and get hard.. :)
that's all i can think of... oh don't put shifter into gears at all.
maybe raise your car to relax the suspension.. ?

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
actaully if you are going to drive it. Make sure it is a LONG drive. That way the oil can heat up enough to get rid of the condensation. Otherwise you will have condewnsation which in turn my turn acidic within the engine.

Acid + Metal = TEH NO!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Honestly....I just stored mine for winter. Just make sure you start it up and let it run for a while till it gets to full temp. I parked mine when in need of an oil change so this weekend I will go and change it out. If it leaks just check the fluids. You don't have to worry about a full tank of gas. The car is not sitting that long. Mine has a 1/4 tank in it. You could add some fuel preserver to it to feel better, but in 6 months it will be just fine. If you can put it up on blocks so you don't get any flat spots on your tires. Moth balls around the car keeps rodents away. Make sure your coolant is winterized, unless you have a heated storage. Other than that try to survive the long winter with out your baby. Think of all the gas you'll save!!

here is my checklist:

1. Fresh Oil.
2. Winterize Coolant.
3. Wash and wax.
4. Cover her up.
5. Put on Blocks if possible.
6. Start and allow to idle to full temp at least once a month.
7. If you do drive it, be gentle to her.
8. Disconnect the battery
9. Check your fluids if you have any leaks.
10. Don't worry about it too much. Its a car she'll be just fine.

later,
Joe

who has never had a problem with his cars being stored. Start right up come spring!

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Storing cars for Winter?

You guys are special...to be able to endure climates where one must put their car away for 4-6 months. That would explain why so many of you behave like you're on the rag, LOL.
;)
Stay warm.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
theres nothing more fun than getting bent on icy roads.... then again, theres nothing worse than careening off the road into a ditch....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well I did live in Orlando, FL for a year. So the car has not been stored for awhile. Been a daily driven car for geez a year plus.

Later,
Joe

·
Registered
190 Posts
6 months active duty, 6 months storage here in Minnesnowta. Mine goes in storage from 10/15 till tax day otherwise I might not get the taxes done. I tell you, a lot of time is spent thinking about the mods I plan to do each spring. Gives me all winter to gather parts at bargin prices and think through the work. It also keeps the milage off the car so in the long run that car lasts longer and you appreciate it more in the summer!

·
Moderator/Troll Slayer
5,894 Posts
blah blah blah..... all you need to do for the winter is DRAIN your OIL.......... make sure you have at least a half tank of gas.... you can put stabilizer fluid in the tank but its not necessary. They stuff was designed for vehicles that are being stored for over a year. Make sure car is in a Dry cool/warm place. If its in the extream cold(carport ect) MAKE SURE YOU DRAIN THE OIL AND GAS. Warm(storage/garage) you need to Drain the oil and half tank of gas. Thats all you need to do... Trust me (my supie sits all year round. :) )

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SupraTrey said:
blah blah blah..... all you need to do for the winter is DRAIN your OIL.......... make sure you have at least a half tank of gas.... you can put stabilizer fluid in the tank but its not necessary. They stuff was designed for vehicles that are being stored for over a year. Make sure car is in a Dry cool/warm place. If its in the extream cold(carport ect) MAKE SURE YOU DRAIN THE OIL AND GAS. Warm(storage/garage) you need to Drain the oil and half tank of gas. Thats all you need to do... Trust me (my supie sits all year round. :) )
Why do you say drain the oil? Wont that cause everything to dry out and the possibility of rust forming on the cylinder walls? My garage isnt heated, so it will be out in the cold.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
stonedworm said:
Why do you say drain the oil? Wont that cause everything to dry out and the possibility of rust forming on the cylinder walls? My garage isnt heated, so it will be out in the cold.
think about what you just said.

when the car is NOT moving. No oil is moving and therefore it is sitting and draining into the oil pan. The difference between draining and not draining is that in one you have oil in the pan. The other you don't ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I disagree with draining the oil.How can you start it and run/let it warm up?? Fill it with oil everytime. Dude honestly you don't have to do crap to store a car for 5-6 mo. Just start it up every so often.

joe

·
stop pulling me over pigs
1,259 Posts
stonedworm said:
This is my last week having the supra on the road before it gets garaged for the winter. What should I do to it to preserve it for the next 5 months?
park it on a blanky and give it plenty o tlc it will get mad at you and blow its head gasket you know, if you start neglecting it LOL I'm sorry i couldnt resist...

For me, I just winterized the supe- threw on some skinny 205/55/r16's on the back with my old painted set of sawblades, with some 225's on the fronts, so no more shiny sawblades for a while - but at least I'll be able to hook up at least a little bit from a stop in a couple of inces of snow. SCREW winter... these cars definitely were not designed for winter and that become highly recognizable if you've ever owned an mk3 and whiped it around in the snow...

90% of the weight of the car distributed to the front of the car...light back end....they were either on crack when they designed the car, or they just thought nobody would ever own one in new england LOL:D

·
27836-12121
1,310 Posts
Parking Supra for the winter?

Why what abot the fun going Up the snowe hill?

Well we hardly get any snow here, but black ice is a problem

Currently the Supra I drive is a beater so it's beeing used like a all purpose vichicle, offroad, pick up and minivan:D

·
20G Boostin'
1,676 Posts
my supras been stored since last april pretty much, driven occasionally... i start it up once or twice a week, let it run for a half hour, sometimes take it for a quick drive just up the road and back..

i wasnt having probs with the gas going bad til now down at 1/4 tank, i have to put some more in soon. the octane levels decrease as it sits.

ive also heard that storing a car on blocks can cause more harm than good, but i have no proof to back this up, i just havent bothered.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts