Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked the part up and toyota says its a condensor,but what does it do?
cause im trying to figure out why someone hooked up a relay to it. 1 wire goes to the battery,the other wire goes to the condensor harness,the other is grounded and the other they put into the 15A headlight fuse.

Does anyone know why or what the reason is for it??

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
its a noise canceler for the wiring. i want to say for knock sensors but i cant remember

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
its a noise canceler for the wiring. i want to say for knock sensors but i cant remember
Wow. ^

Anyways, it's apart of your ignition system and is more commonly known as a noise filter. You do need it so don't hack it off or anything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you read my second part i stated and this is what i am really trying to find out"someone hooked up a relay to it. 1 wire goes to the battery,the other wire goes to the condensor harness,the other is grounded and the other they put into the 15A headlight fuse. " this is my real curiosity

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is switched 12V on one side of the noise filter. A guess would be that someone used this wire to actuate the relay coil. From your description, it sounds like this relay was installed to bypass some of the headlight circuitry and put battery voltage on the fuse. If you can look on the bottom of the relay and list what wire goes to the relay contacts 30, 85, 86, and 87, I can tell you for sure.

Previous owners do some weird things to cars - I'm sure this guy had some reason for this one.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
There is switched 12V on one side of the noise filter. A guess would be that someone used this wire to actuate the relay coil. From your description, it sounds like this relay was installed to bypass some of the headlight circuitry and put battery voltage on the fuse. If you can look on the bottom of the relay and list what wire goes to the relay contacts 30, 85, 86, and 87, I can tell you for sure.

Previous owners do some weird things to cars - I'm sure this guy had some reason for this one.
^ Rick is pretty much a "Made Man" when it comes to electrical so I'm pretty sure he knows what he is talking about on this. My guess would be that maybe at some point the previous owner had a standalone and he was attempting to reduce/alter some of the noise throughout the ignition system for tuning purposes. I'm probably way off the ball here so you should listen to Rick on this one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is what the previous jap owner did

86 goes to ground/chassis
87 went to the 15amp left headlight fuse
85 was taped into the black/orange wire on condensor harness
30 went to a fuse that went to the pos on battery

·
Registered
196 Posts
this is what the previous jap owner did

86 goes to ground/chassis
87 went to the 15amp left headlight fuse
85 was taped into the black/orange wire on condensor harness
30 went to a fuse that went to the pos on battery
Yep, for some reason that relay applies power to the headlight fuse when the key is turned on. My guess would be that it is/was bypassing a headlight circuit that has some kind of problem.

Just for GPs, disconnect the wire to relay pin 30, switch on the ignition, and check your lights. If they still work as normal you can probably pull that whole mess out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep, for some reason that relay applies power to the headlight fuse when the key is turned on. My guess would be that it is/was bypassing a headlight circuit that has some kind of problem.

Just for GPs, disconnect the wire to relay pin 30, switch on the ignition, and check your lights. If they still work as normal you can probably pull that whole mess out.
But leave the noise filter in, of course - just remove the relay and its wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to the Toyota Engine Control schematics, the N1 Noise Filter (For Ignition System) 90980-04083 is used to prevent electrical noise interference to the Engine Control Module (ECU) and both the D1 and D3 Data Link Connectors. Pin 1 is coming from AM2 (IG2/ST2) and Pin 2 is grounded/shielded via E16 and the EC ground via E17. N1 is a capacitive noise filter that blocks DC noise on the Ignition Start Circuit preventing noise to the ECM and Data Lines during starting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts