Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I tried to make a list of all the necessary components for turboing your NA....hope this helps some of you;)

Oh...if I'm missing anything please feel free to add on to the list...

TURBO PARTS LIST:
Turbo Exhaust Manifold (Sound Performance, Toyomoto, F-Max)
Turbo (SP60)
Custom 3" Downpipe w/ EGT probe tap
External Wastegate (HKS GT)
Front Mount Intercooler
Custom Intercooler piping
Blow Off Valve (HKS SSQV)
Fuel Pump (Supra TT, Walbro)
(6) 550cc High Impedence Fuel Injectors (RC Engineering)
3mm Copper Headgasket (PowerHouse Racing)
Supply and return oil lines for turbo

Electronics:
HKS VPC for MKIII w/ 550cc injector chip (Part #:4601-T04US, ROM:SUP009B)
EGT Gauge
Boost Gauge
Boost Controller
Fuel Controller
Turbo Timer

also misc. items such as exhaust, intake filter, clutch, etc....

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
You pretty much got it covered. :D You have a setup good for 450-500rwhp. Two things, I would install the EGT in the manifold, and not the downpipe.... and I wouldn't get the copper HG, get the steel gasket.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I ran mine at ~480rwhp for two years and didn't have any problems. I never used slicks tho... PHR told be if I launched hard on slicks I'd probably break first gear. I did have trouble finding a clutch that would hold, the Clutchmaster stage 4 worked the best.

R

·
0 Posts
One of the TurboLexus guys said he always blew 3rd gear out of his tranny, it took the abuse of the welded diff and slicks through first and second then gave up in third.

Rob_O

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Yeah, maybe none of the gears can take the extra abuse that slicks hand out. Jarrett just said first gear.... I dunno. I didn't have trouble with the gearbox at all. I don't speedshift though, I wonder if the SC guy did?

·
Registered
181 Posts
if i my NA is auto, and i was to purchase the above parts my tranny would blow correct? what route should i go for upgrading a tranny with the turbo? get a SP auto tranny or get stock 5spd tranny? which is cheaper?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Yeah, the auto tranny won't last long if you run much HP. Which route is cheaper depends.... I was lucky when i converted mine, I got all the 5-speed parts from a guy parting out a whole car for $1000, then I had to buy a new flywheel and clutch for $670. I did all the work myself so no labor charges. If you gotta pay for labor it will add up real quick.

It cost $2900 to build my auto tranny, plus $750 for a high stall converter. Again I did all the labor, but labor for pulling and re-installing the auto will be a lot less than doing the 5-speed conversion.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Ethan, whats the deal with your tranny now? Are you going to a GM tranny? I was thinking about doing that so I can use a transbrake. You got any info on it? Cost ect?

R

·
0 Posts
DaveH said:
Yeah, maybe none of the gears can take the extra abuse that slicks hand out. Jarrett just said first gear.... I dunno. I didn't have trouble with the gearbox at all. I don't speedshift though, I wonder if the SC guy did?
Read this about one mans experiences blowing the living sh!t outta some trannies. Third post down

Rob_O

R

·
0 Posts
Ebanks said:
That last post was me by the way.

-Ethan
I thought you had that multiple personality thing under control :D Been slackin' on the meds lately?

So what kind of abuse were your trannies able to take, Ethan? One of the cars I'm looking at is an A/T and, honestly, I would prefer an A/T. If the 5 speed will take 350+ HP without too many problems and the auto is gonna give up the ghost then I think I'd be better off with a 5 speed car cuz I'm not ready to to spend the $3500+ bucks it's gonna take to make the A/T handle the power on top of all the turbo stuff.

Rob_O

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
HEY DAVE:

dave,
hey man, im from philly... how about i buy all those parts you guys listed and a built auto tranny, stall conv. etc, and then drive all the way out to your town? wanna help a fellow supra owner out and do the labor? :D :D :D dont answer now, think about it :p .

nah im just playin...but if i ever do get all these parts together, would you consider doing the work for a lower rate than all the mechanics around here charge?

talk to you later,
Bob

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
can anyone give a price range for each of those parts on the list? new/used.... i just want to have an idea... thanks

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
I was doing some research this evening, this was what I came up with. If I've got some wrong prices, someone correct me...

TURBO PARTS LIST:

Turbo Exhaust Manifold (Sound Performance, Toyomoto, F-Max) ($700-800 new from SP)
Turbo (SP60 = $1100 brand new)
Custom 3" Downpipe w/ EGT probe tap (??)
External Wastegate (HKS GT $500 new)
Front Mount Intercooler (or use stock TT side mount, used = $100)
Custom Intercooler piping (??)
Blow Off Valve (HKS SSQV = $200-250)
Fuel Pump (Supra TT, Walbro = OEM TT unit new is $260, or find in classified/used for $180)
(6) 550cc High Impedence Fuel Injectors (RC Engineering = $86/each new from RC)
3mm Steel Headgasket (ToyoMoto/Powerhouse/Fmax = $300-350)
Supply and return oil lines for turbo (??)

Electronics:
HKS VPC for MKIII w/ 550cc injector chip (Part #:4601-T04US, ROM:SUP009B) ($1000 new)
EGT Gauge ($160 new depending on brand/model)
Boost Gauge ($100 brand/model varies)
Boost Controller ($250 brand/model varies)
Fuel Controller (Haltech F5 = $360 new) *** I am not sure if this is the one, but saw this unit pictured in the TurboLexus install page and it was an 'F5' unit)
Turbo Timer ($100+ new depending on brand)

This will give you an idea, I guess.

Huy

R

·
0 Posts
The price for the Manifold is pretty low, probably for the F-Max manifold which is rumoured to be of questionable quality. Spend a couple hundred more and get the Toyomoto (or so I have been told)

You can find the 40MM Tial wastegate for $325-350, depending on the compressor/turbine specs you are using this may be all you need. I have seen them succesfully used on some 500+ HP cars, speak with your turbo vendor for more info on how it will work with your hairdryer of choice

You can buy the MKIV pump from Connicelli for $190 or so with the strainer, just mention the DSM discount.

If you are using the 550 injectors and the VPC, you shouldn't need the additional injectors and the Haltech. You can also go the other way and use the additional injectors instead of the VPC

I'm planning on starting with the "Stage 0.9" setup myself, No thick head gasket, additional injectors instead of VPC, etc... and running Honda boost levels until I can do the injectors/VPC/gasket all at the same time. That's when the real fun begins!

Rob_O

·
0 Posts
how long do you think my engine will hold up... becuase i have 128000 miles but the engine still feels strong?? might it blow soon?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts