Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bringing some life to this section!! About to pick up my first motorcycle on Monday. I've never owned a motorcycle and besides riding dirt bikes growing up and your average hot lap around the neighborhood on any of my brother's CBR600s, I don't have much riding experience either. Regardless, my obsession with tinkering on shit got the best of me again and on Monday I drive out to Malibu to pick up this 1981 Honda CB750 Custom. Teardown will begin immediately. Anyone with knowledge on Cafe builds or experience with these Honda bikes, I can use all the help I can get so please speak up!

Bike is all there. No electrical issues, runs fine but needs carb adjustment, no frame imperfections, and I'm buying it from a guy who builds these for a living. Too many projects = another man's opportunity.

And the inspiration behind the build:

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know I have a 1980 Kawi KZ440 that I tried to Bobber up, never finished, I think your thread may give me some inspiration.
Very nice! I like the KZ440 Bobber style. Get back on it!

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day one: Picked it up today! Leaking gas like crazy. Carbs need to be rejetted, ill be taking care of that. Also oil leaking out of the stator. Little surface rust on the frame and the headers are unusable due to rust but got it for a steal and happy with everything else!

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2jz swap and die?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started today!

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put some elbow grease into the motorcycle today. I was in a good mood after getting the most recent update on my car.

We are going to paint the frame using some shit called POR-15 and then spray a top coat with a product similar to bed liner in matte black. It has a lot less of the speckle in it and is extremely durable. The POR-15 will protect against rust and will provide as a base coat on the frame.

The first step in this process is to strip the old paint off the frame. We are keeping this build as cost-efficient as possible so we opted out of getting the frame media-blasted. Instead I did a bit of research online and decided on Rustoleum Aircraft Remover and steel wool. It's available at WalMart and does an incredible job, as you can see below. I'll take a wire brush to the rest in the morning.

We ordered the POR-15 last week so it should be here soon. I'll be a bit busy over the weekend so on Monday I'll start the teardown on the motor and carburetors. The carbs should be fun.. /sarcasm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts