Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I used to drive a 5.0 so I tend to drive stuff kind of hard and I consider myself pretty good behind the wheel and fairly decent at the strip...

My current car is a 98 Contour SVT with exhaust (everything but headers are modded or changed) as well a K&N drop in filter. At best my car is a 15.0 car @ 93-94mph - when it was bone stock, I ran a 15.30 @91. The changes to my car since then gave me another 15hp to the wheels and 8lbs of torque. Both gains were fairly broad across my powerband so its not just a sharp bump.

So tonight I ran into a white or bright yellow WRX wagon - hard to tell but I think it might have been yellow. We raced twice and both times I took him out by about a car to the middle of 4th gear. I dont know if on a stock WRX if you can clearly hear a blow off but this sounded like it had a little birdie or owl under the hood when he'd let off the gas so I dont know what mods he had. He had a lot of green guages but dont know if that was stock or not...it was spread across the dash from the looks of it.

...Anyway this is now the second WRX I have encountered and beaten. First was a blue sedan that looked stock and it felt about the same speed. In both cases they didnt launch like what i'd think someone with an AWD should launch. I mean we're pretty much even until I grab a gear then I lurch ahead and they drop behind like 1/2 a car from their shifts. Even if their cars are faster, they are taking for ever to shift. I know if I had AWD I'd at least rev it up a little and slip the clutch very quickly and go - if dumping the cluch is bad on these cars. These guys were launching them as gently as FWD cars.

I've raced my friend who has a Prelude ('99) with an AEM intake and some exhaust and I'd say he's a fairly decent driver. His car is pretty close to speed to mine. I can usually beat him by about 1 car on the street and its pretty even on the highway with the edge just barely going to me - I'm talking its so close that maybe if he lost 20lbs we'd be even :) Well these WRX's were just a bit slower than his Prelude. Tell me its just guys not driving their cars right...

So my question first is how would the top end performance be on a stock WRX? Say on the highway, would it pull something like a slightly modded prelude? I'm asking this because the blue one I had raced started falling behind more the second time we ran (which just happens to be while we were already moving - I was in 3rd gear). We went up to about 200km/hr or maybe 125mph or so. I'd say past 100mph I thought it started running out of steam a bit.

Second question is drivers. I'm OLD compared to the young guys I encounter (I'm 34) so anyone close to my age who use to race a while back find that the majority of people who race now or want to race their cars cant or wont drive them aggressivly?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
WRX (or STi's) aren't particularly known for their top end speed, it's their launching prowess that makes them a force to be reckoned with. AWD is a blessing out of the hole, but incredibly parasitic to pull on the top end. A stock WRX is rated at 227 hp, but typically only 160-170 hp makes it to the ground.

Unfortunately, more often than not WRX owners are scared of breaking their 5 speed slush boxes, so they launch very softly. STi's don't have that problem, seeing as the new 6 spd tranny is very strong and has yet to show weakness in any specific area of performance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kingpin, its just a ford contour but the SVT version. I have a pic of my car - nothing too fancy or fast which is making me wonder whats going on with the recent races...

http://powerthings.com/pics/mysvt.jpg

I'm making 174 fwhp and 155 fw torque.
http://powerthings.com/pics/latest_runs.jpg

I have lightened the car a little. I dont have the spare tire in there and my stereo is very light. Box, amps..everything probably is no more than 30lbs. Again, nothing stagering. Maybe I just drive my car to 100% of what it can do :) Poor car. Its got 223,000 km on it. I think thats about 150,000 miles or so...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm that makes sense then if they get 160 to 170 to the ground because I'm making just over 170 to the ground. I guess I thought they were stronger than that stock. I did go for a ride in my friends white STI and after that, my car felt like a slug for a few days :)

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
KINGPIN33 said:
Just curious... what exactly is a contour SVT? Got any pics?

my last gf... err(friend with benefits) had a contour SVT. it was a pretty decent car.

·
Registered
946 Posts
ContourSVT said:
Hi Kingpin, its just a ford contour but the SVT version. I have a pic of my car - nothing too fancy or fast which is making me wonder whats going on with the recent races...

http://powerthings.com/pics/mysvt.jpg

I'm making 174 fwhp and 155 fw torque.
http://powerthings.com/pics/latest_runs.jpg

I have lightened the car a little. I dont have the spare tire in there and my stereo is very light. Box, amps..everything probably is no more than 30lbs. Again, nothing stagering. Maybe I just drive my car to 100% of what it can do :) Poor car. Its got 223,000 km on it. I think thats about 150,000 miles or so...

oh wow... cleannn car... i've seen a car exactly like that around my neighbourhood, same colour and everything... I think it had dual exhaust on it too with chrome tips. By any chance, are you in Mississauga? I wonder if its the same one... I don't see those car's a lot.

·
Banned
24 Posts
are you sure these wrx's were racing? sounds to me like they maybe got on it in first gear and let off because its a Ford Contour SVT.......my old car was a beretta taht would be svt contours..........

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black 98 Z28, for sure we're on it because when you've got a car in the next lane at year rear fender in 3rd gear doing 130 km/hr and then you grab 4th and he's not letting up, it means he's racing :) We did go twice afterall and it is the second one I've raced. Also I know its turbo because I could clearly hear is blowoff, plus the WRX badging.

A good SVT will run low 15's bone stock so I think you came across guys who couldnt drive their cars because arent baretta's 16 second cars or even into the 17's bone stock? Anyway my question was about drivers because I was expecting to lose but its the second WRX I've run into. Both times they didnt launch hard.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Kingpin, I live in Scarborough close to Pickering but I have a couple friends in missisauga and one in brampton so sometimes i'm around that area. I do have dual exhaust (which is how they came) and I have dual 3" stainless tips. My friend in bramton has a vortech charged SVT with 3.5" tips but he's got fairly dark 5 spoke wheels. He's making some great power. I think about 290 FWHP.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Black 95 Z28, umm you said your old car was a beretta and that you could beat an SVT contour with it. I said I didnt think you could and you're telling me about your Z28 ? I'm confused. I'm pretty sure I can beat your old beretta in the quarter even if I started from second gear ;)

·
Banned
24 Posts
lol, i dunno...... 175hp of fury.... no normal beretta or beretta gt.. lol... it's the Z26 package.... :D. who knows, who cars, its been sitting for over a year without bein driven. I'll drive it again when i get my camaro where i want it, but for now i'll drive the z28 daily..... soon about 400 rwhp, im shoot for 500 in my daily driver by next spring.

Toole

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well thats 175 wheel HP so its about 210 or 215 at the motor :) One other thing though, its important to note is gearing. A bone stock contours SVT will hit over 140mph (I think its 143mph). I have never ever tried topping out the car ;) not me...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought those things trap like 100mph bone stock ... or is that the STI ? I guess I could do a search on google :)

·
Photogenic Monkey!
78 Posts
but they are nice...cant deny that. but cant touch supras, imho :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts