Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much did it cost for the 7m-gte engine swap? Surpa store does it for $8000, but that seems kinda steep to me.

Also, I'm thinking of simply doing all the mods to my engine anyway (bore it out to a 3.3 or 4.0, port& polish, and turbo w/intercooler).

What exactly does the 7mgte have over the 5mgte anyway? I know they look different, and the 7mgte has a turbo attached.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, and...

Are there any instument panels that aline with the mk2? The big ol' add ons aren't bad, but they are bulky and get in the way.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
grankor said:
How much did it cost for the 7m-gte engine swap? Surpa store does it for $8000, but that seems kinda steep to me.

Also, I'm thinking of simply doing all the mods to my engine anyway (bore it out to a 3.3 or 4.0, port& polish, and turbo w/intercooler).

What exactly does the 7mgte have over the 5mgte anyway? I know they look different, and the 7mgte has a turbo attached.
Well grankor, I'm not sure about suprastore but Don Culberson of Nix99 sells his kit for $3500 and a extra $1800 for him to install it.nix99.com Or his page: www.suprafriends.com

I bought his kit back in 2000. My dad helped me do the install work. It took a good four months to get it up and running properly. Don and his right hand man Shawn can bang a kit out in about a week. I know one guy, Jay B. from Az, drove his '85 up here to have Don install a 7mgte kit then he drove it home. Don's kit comes with a TON of goodies most of which are listed on his page. The install will be very factory like and clean. If you're in Washington state and not DC then you might call or pay him a visit. :)

As for the engines, there are alot of similarities and a lot of differences. The block castings are different, the bell housing bolt patterns are the same (stock trans bolts up to 7mgte), motor mounts are similar, the heads share the same bolt pattern, 5m oil pan bolts up to 7mgte, Mkii is ready made for intercooler and piping (no butchering) and there is tons more. Some of the differences are: 7mgte has 24 valve head, 3.0L of displacement (5m has 2.7L), aluminum dished pistons, improved ecu (good for 500HP), 440cc injectors, Karmanvortex AFM and room for many more upgrades. :cool:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Re: oh, and...

grankor said:
Are there any instument panels that aline with the mk2? The big ol' add ons aren't bad, but they are bulky and get in the way.
Not sure really. I've seen mkiii guages installed into a Toyota truck and it looked perfect. I'm sure if you were creative enough you could make something work. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 7M block has pretty thin cylinder walls. There's no way you could bore it out to 3.3 litres, never mind 4.0! Most people recommend a maximum overbore of 0.5mm, which would increase swept volume from 2954cc to a whopping 2990cc! Hmmm still 3.0 litres. The first M series engine was only 2.0 litres, so even as it is the design has been pushed to 150% of its original size!

As for the differences between the 7M-GTE and 5M-GE, the main one is the cylinder head. The 5M-GE and 6M-GE have a 12-valve DOHC cylinder head with hydraulic valve lash, while the 7M came with an all-new 24-valve DOHC head with shims and buckets (just like the Toyota twincams of old).

Apart from that, the 7M also got all new manifolds and inlet tract, and a much more sophisticated engine management system. In fact, there were very few similarities between the 5M and 7M apart from the block - and even that is slightly different!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I'll try and get a hold of the guy, cause that seems to be the cheapest so far (for exp. anyway).

The local guy I usually go to doesn't do custom stuff like that. Stock engines and part upgrade, not huge mods. I guess liability plays a factor in that.

·
HKS Slut
240 Posts
I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I'm on the verge of converting my 85 supra to a 7mgte motor. My question is do I use the 5mge manual tranny or a 7mgte or 7mge tranny? Thanks

·
HKS Slut
240 Posts
Wade, did you upgrade your flywheel to a lightweight one (fidanza). I'm not sure if i should use the stock one or performance one. Thanks

·
HKS Slut
240 Posts
Wade, I have one more question for you. I have a mk3 thats automatic. I'm goin to use the engine and harness from it to do my conversion. I' going to put a manual tranny from a 7mge on the engine and slap it on my mk2. Now will the automatic ecu still work or will I have to buy a manual ecu. If I have to buy a manual ecu, will it still hook up to my harness which came from an automatic mk3? Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I'm going to upgrade to a 6 speed cause the syncros in my stock 5 speed are going.
Also, How about an automatic rear end for my manual? neato!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Supraluva said:
If I have to buy a manual ecu, will it still hook up to my harness which came from an automatic mk3? Thanks
I used an auto ECU on my 6M, the only problem I had was when I put the clutch in the RPMs droped down acouple hundred rpm for a sec.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on the instrument panel:

I pulled the instrument panel out of an 84 automatic, and put it into my 82(manual). It fit perfectly, and everything works. Except the lights that show if you are in power mode or not. Other than that, no probs.:)

Also, I met a guy who works for the phone company. He has an 84, and claims that it runs 9's, with the help of headers, bigger cams, performance rod bearings, performance crank and drive shaft, posi traction rear end, turbo (don't know what kind), intercooler, upgraded fuel injection system, intake/exaust (straight pipe), pulled AC, pulled power steering, weight reduction, and nitrous.

This is on a 5m-ge. He showed me his car, and he really has all the stuff, but I didn't see any papers. Kinda inspirational...... He spent WAY more on the car than he paid for it, but hey, at least the wiring was easy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts