Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about trying to put my car on a diet. Was considering a carbon hatch with a lexan rear window, carbon hood, and big maybe on carbon doors. What are the pros and cons of these setups, can they still be street driven with the carbon doors and can I still use my glass windows? How much weight would this setup pull from my car? Where are you guys buying from?

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts
The best person to speak with regarding this topic is Stephane, Suprwhp on SF, IIRC.

Ken.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
I dont think the hood is worth the savings IIRC is was only a few pounds different than the stocker. The biggest weight savings was the hatch, but as you know it takes the weight off the car but in the wrong area. Like the others said, Stephane can give you the best insight as he spent some considerable time cutting weight on his car.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup so far it looks like the hatch/hood are going to be my first steps as well as a Lexan rear glass.

Nah my car will most likely never see 7's but shes fat and needs to go on a diet. I feel like if I could get it in the 3300's it would be a considerable amount faster then it is now, also the lighter the car is the less parts that will break.

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
Most supposed CF hoods for the Supra either weigh as much or slightly more than the stock aluminum hood. I found this out the hard way myself since I do actively weigh everything I buy. I bought the Seibon TS style hood (once upon a time) and also bought the Veilside fiberglass vented hood too...both were approximately the same weight as a stock aluminum hood with the factory underhood padding removed. There are FAR better ways to lose weight from the front of the car than a hood, but obviously vented hoods do serve a good purpose of helping to extract underhood heat so they aren't all that bad.

If you really want to save weight up front, check this out (4.99 pound battery) for less money: http://lithiumpros.com/

:)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most supposed CF hoods for the Supra either weigh as much or slightly more than the stock aluminum hood. I found this out the hard way myself since I do actively weigh everything I buy. I bought the Seibon TS style hood (once upon a time) and also bought the Veilside fiberglass vented hood too...both were approximately the same weight as a stock aluminum hood with the factory underhood padding removed. There are FAR better ways to lose weight from the front of the car than a hood, but obviously vented hoods do serve a good purpose of helping to extract underhood heat so they aren't all that bad.

If you really want to save weight up front, check this out (4.99 pound battery) for less money: http://lithiumpros.com/

:)
I already run a Braille battery in the back of the car. Found a CF hood local that I'll go pick up tomorrow most likely. Now need to order the hatch and do the lexan setup. Also probably going to end up with a MilSpec harness from DoubleD

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
P90x.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
290 Posts
my carbon doors weigh about 7,2 lbs each stripped and the original door weighed around 40 lbs stripped but with steel bar in door this the carbon did not have... i asume you have a cage so you dont need door bars?

hatc was 15lbs without window, 22lbs with wondow carbon/lexan window. original was 68lbs with rear wiper etc and brake light.

there is some weight to remove :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I already run a Braille battery in the back of the car. Found a CF hood local that I'll go pick up tomorrow most likely. Now need to order the hatch and do the lexan setup. Also probably going to end up with a MilSpec harness from DoubleD
Maybe Darin will give us a price break if we both order a milspec harness. I wanted a Milspec when Ryan and Louis did my latest build but Ryan said "Darin wanted 3K for one so I went with a new oem harness instead" I later spoke with Darin and he said he'd take about half what Ryan had quoted me. Needless to say I may sell my new oem harness and go Milspec as well.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
1993 Car
477 Posts
Maybe Darin will give us a price break if we both order a milspec harness. I wanted a Milspec when Ryan and Louis did my latest build but Ryan said "Darin wanted 3K for one so I went with a new oem harness instead" I later spoke with Darin and he said he'd take about half what Ryan had quoted me. Needless to say I may sell my new oem harness and go Milspec as well.
How much does a new OEM harness go for?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my carbon doors weigh about 7,2 lbs each stripped and the original door weighed around 40 lbs stripped but with steel bar in door this the carbon did not have... i asume you have a cage so you dont need door bars?

hatc was 15lbs without window, 22lbs with wondow carbon/lexan window. original was 68lbs with rear wiper etc and brake light.

there is some weight to remove :)
Nice thats some good info! Thanks

As already mentioned, Stephane is the weight reduction champ. As amazing as it sounds, his extreme weight reduction program resulted in just 2563 lbs.!!!! http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?633413-SeriousHP-Supra-2563lbs-weight&highlight=
I was looking for that thread

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
last i recall the oem hood weighs around 22 lbs or something and most CF ones weigh in around 16 lbs.

try not to quote me on that but in my opinion its one of the last places to squeeze out the last few pounds considering the cost vs. weight ratio.
personally i would only do it for aesthetics and definitely not to save 7 lbs approx.

i like the idea of the p90x weight removal though lol.

look up your maintenance calories for your height/weight/activity level and chop off 500 from that per day and you will lose 1 lb per week.
add cardio and youll drop quicker.

get your bodyfat down sub 10% and youll be laughin, not to mention your body will perform better if you dial in your muscles a bit.
maybe better reaction times off the line. rofl.
i would hit up some plyometrics aswell. especially ones for jumping and kicking so that you can get seriously quick reflexes and explosive clutch dropping power form your legs.

good luck with your goals.

·
Registered
222 Posts
last i recall the oem hood weighs around 22 lbs or something and most CF ones weigh in around 16 lbs.

try not to quote me on that but in my opinion its one of the last places to squeeze out the last few pounds considering the cost vs. weight ratio.
personally i would only do it for aesthetics and definitely not to save 7 lbs approx.
That's without insulation, and while Top Secret CF hoods weigh much less than stock, most CF hoods, like from Seibon, are heavier than stock. Don't make the mistake of thinking just because it's CF it's lighter.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
That's without insulation, and while Top Secret CF hoods weigh much less than stock, most CF hoods, like from Seibon, are heavier than stock. Don't make the mistake of thinking just because it's CF it's lighter.
do you know for certain if my weights are accurate? im sure the OP would appreciate some clarification.

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
do you know for certain if my weights are accurate? im sure the OP would appreciate some clarification.
Your stock hood weight is accurate, but your aftermarket weight I cannot confirm since I'm not sure which hood you had/have. When I bought aftermarket hoods my Veilside was something like 17 or 18 pounds unpainted, but about 2 pounds (ish) heavier painted. The Seibon "carbon" hood was about 22 pounds, I recall it being within .5 pounds of the stock hood. I've heard that some carbon hoods from Japan are actually a fair amount lighter, but never owned any (so you might be referencing one of those). I do recall hearing about the Modellista dry carbon TS style hood weighing around 10 pounds, but I never had the chance to own one of those. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.