Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who just graduated college and is looking for a performance car for under $20,000 that he can use his nice new accounting firm salary on. The criteria he gave me was very vague so by all means, shoot whatever suggestions you have out there. Make, model, and why it's a good option. Thanks in advance.

·
Bull Market
1,375 Posts
You can probably snag an older mkiv tt with a good amount of miles for under 20,000. FD's with a lsx swap have been getting hit hard, I know someone in Gainesville who picked up one for 21,000 - tough to beat at that price, you get the torque/reliability of the lsx and the beautiful lines of the FD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can probably snag an older mkiv tt with a good amount of miles for under 20,000. FD's with a lsx swap have been getting hit hard, I know someone in Gainesville who picked up one for 21,000 - tough to beat at that price, you get the torque/reliability of the lsx and the beautiful lines of the FD.
$20,000 and under, that is pushing his budget as is. If you take something that is $20-22,000 then add tax, registration etc you push it even more. $20,000 is MAX for him

·
Six Figure Club
420 Posts
CTS-V is going to be hard to find for under $20,000 for one, and after he inevitably blows the rear end there is another $3+k for a replacement OEM that is sure to fail again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-Cadillac-CTS-V-Series_W0QQitemZ300316557618QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item45ec430132&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65:-1|39:1|240:1318#ht_9458wt_944

For asking a question you sure are being a dick about the answers...

·
Registered
213 Posts
definately lsx rx7, i check the classifieds on the v8rx7 just about everyday and the cars just keep coming cheaper and cheaper. Generally build quality is pretty top notch with those, its a more mature crowd (not just sr20 swaps and jdm mirrors and shit) If i were to buy another car it would definately be an rx7 with an ls2. Maintenance would be almost non existent if everything was left fairly stock and it would just beat everything through the turns and on the highway. But other than that i'd look at a c5 corvette, an evo or sti (i'd love to have a white sti limited, but they generally go for around 22-26k) but be carefull with the evos and sti's because most guys that own 'em love to beat on them, at least in my area.

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
CTS-V is going to be hard to find for under $20,000 for one, and after he inevitably blows the rear end there is another $3+k for a replacement OEM that is sure to fail again.
You don't have to launch it at the drag strip on a sticky tire until it blows up either. You have been treating this thread like debate discussion instead of the "throw stuff out there" advice you were originally looking for. The CTS-V rear end does not fail without abuse.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=262267307&dealer_id=64139767&car_year=2004&rdm=1243235821185&model=CTS&num_records=100&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=CAD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=36109&advanced=y&end_year=2005&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=982&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=257854390&dealer_id=63765531&car_year=2005&rdm=1243235821185&model=CTS&num_records=100&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=CAD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceASC&address=36109&advanced=y&end_year=2005&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=&cardist=1190&standard=false

·
used to be member 66
532 Posts
Since has a job at accounting firm might want show some class not "rice/boy racer". Either E39 M5 or say a older CLK maybe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think he is a bit insecure about what others might think of something on the less "classy" side of things. I personally think it's stupid but what can ya do.

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
Is the car going to be subjected to snowy winters? If so, I think that takes a few cars off of the so-far mentioned lists.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts