Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #661 ·
Quick update on what’s going on. I’ve disassembled the interior rear again:

Rear struts I never installed ✅
Rear hatch struts ✅
Considering replacing OEM rear speakers while I’m here ✅
More general cleanup ✅
These sexy motherfucking cherry red new old stock 91 tails that have been LED swapped ✅

Also I gotta inspect my driveshaft. I think there’s something wrong with driveline, diff, rear subframe. My teeth have started chattering during and after driving.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #663 ·
What rear hatch struts do you have? I've tried two brands of aftermarket and both are terrible.
I have a pair that I installed today that I ordered from my local Advance store that are less terrible than the eBay Chinese crap set that the seller mistakenly sent 2x and didn’t care for me to return them :(

I can take some pics of the set I just installed. Fun fact, nearly snapped my arm off in the hatch, the passenger side slipped loose of my bamboo stick prop bar. Fun times, ouch my forearm.

·
90T
665 Posts
The ones I have require hercules strength to lift the first 2 inches, then they are fine after that. Same problem with the first set I tried.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
rockauto -- monroe brand lift struts. mine are 5 years old and still working. got my $12 worth I think.

nice tail lights. needs more turbo.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
hmm...rokauto now does not have the monroe as an option. and one brand lists LH and RH for rear hatch

interesting

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #669 ·
@madisonMK3 neck is getting better. Advance does the speed perks coupons I probably got $10 whole dollars off.

I think it’s fairly obvious I have more money than common sense to change lightbulbs

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #670 ·
The ones I have require hercules strength to lift the first 2 inches, then they are fine after that. Same problem with the first set I tried.
I’ll let you know how it goes and ages with time. So I should probably did my old hatch struts out of the garbage. Might have to revert to the ‘ol push on em and bend em trick?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #672 ·
I have a set of Stabilus struts on my 87 with a wing, and it's a 1 finger lift ordeal. Even has the slow down before reaching the end of the strut travel.

24.72'' Stabilus sg229017-018 Lift Support | SG229017-018-W

Mine had labels on them that indicated that they were made by Sachs
These look both cheaper in price and betterin quality from the limited pictures than the ones I just installed! I would totally buy these instead.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #673 ·
I’m pretty much decided at this point going forward to standardize both Supras on the 2JZGE platform. I’m making a jumper harness for the vvti wasted spark coils to plug up to the generic 4 pin mishimoto I already spliced into my harness.

Im also pinning out a Lexus SC300 spare harness in case I ever want to drop a turbo in my MKIV

Initially I was building this motor for the MKIV but I think I’d rather pull the motor on the MK3 and 2J swap it, it sounds neater.

My understanding of dropping a turbo GE in a working 7MGTE harness is this: extend your coil wiring and alternator. If I’ve already made the coil wiring sub harness, I can totally make an alternator extension cable. It all comes down to accessories and pulleys.

I’ll never get it as clean as I want or stop the leaks until I yank the motor. If I’m yanking a perfectly good working turbo 7M, I guess someone cooler needs to go in it’s place.

The MKIV doesn’t leak and it’s already clean, it’s just not a factory turbo car. I don’t dislike it but my 4 door sedan has a six speed and more power and it’s 15 years newer, so you grow out of things

talk me out of my twisted logic. @madisonMK3 already convinced me months ago

·
90T
665 Posts
How's this... .A mk3 with 7MGTE is going to be worth a lot more than a mk3 with a 2JZ. Its just period correct. And there nothing wrong with the 7M anyway. If it leaks fix the seals and valve covers. Its not rocket science.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
How's this... .A mk3 with 7MGTE is going to be worth a lot more than a mk3 with a 2JZ. Its just period correct. And there nothing wrong with the 7M anyway. If it leaks fix the seals and valve covers. Its not rocket science.
I was thinking I keep the original 7M on a new stand. I was thinking while both motors are out the cleaning is easier. I was wanting to extend the harness in such a way as to make reverting to the original motor a matter of zip tie a service loop. I was thinking a junkyard Lexus motor is easier to replace than the 7M

This was really more of a next year plan

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
These better not just be tricks to get me to install the wideband just so y’all can see how lean or rich I am

661 - 680 of 716 Posts