Supra Forums banner

681 - 700 of 716 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm using Sachs SG229017 (left)/ Sachs SG229018 (right) and they suck, or I'm a wimp.
I imagine the Stabilus is actually made by Sachs, so unless you got a bad pair you'll probably just end up with the same thing. I'll peak at the struts I have tomorrow and see if they were made by Sachs or someone else.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
yes the 7mgte cps phsysically fits in the 2jzge head. so you could run a crusty old wiring harness from the 80's on jz

but why?

I'd assume you would be using a stand alone and a nifty jumper harness so its plug and play. and using stock igniter and odd duck 7mgte multiplex ignition. so many shortcomings my friend ...

of maybe your cray cray and running 7mgte electronics and a safc / lex 550 setup. thats like 8bit fuel control in a modern 64bit world. its like buying a bad ass 4k uhd monitor but still running a vga off 486 pc playing doom.

custom brand new harness, stand alone, crank trigger (or maybe that new digital cps, maybe...), LS coils, ls knock sensors (no fucking multiplex iginter), grannas 6 speed multi disc clutch (or brand new r154...). thats the build to kick ass and last. don't build off a harness from the 80's not worth it imho.

signed, guy who rocks oem tccs + reworked crusty wiring in all its 8bit glory

·
Registered
146 Posts
YES >:) join the dark side!

In the process of doing mine still. I also have notes copied from SM before their server pooped. I'm sure you've got it all mapped out, but if you want any extra info here is my thread 2JZ MK3. Good luck brother.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 · (Edited)
lol, the 2J vs. 7M debate is live and well

guess I’ll go dig my old rear hatch struts out of the dumpster before the tras gets picked up in the morning, just in case. My old hatch struts look closer to what captain is referencing. They weren’t terrible, they weren’t great. Sometimes they worked. I never tried the “push on them and ever so slightly bend them” or whatever it is trick I’ve read

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'll try the Stabilus ones. Interesting they have almost the same part number as the Sachs.
So I checked mine, and naturally I removed the god-awful sticker that comes on them. The only number printed on the strut itself seems to Google as someones phone number and not an actual part number. So no idea who actually made them.

lol, the 2J vs. 7M debate is live and well
It will never die.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
FWIW 3pi the new super expensive Advance auto ones seem to work pretty well initially during the first two inches, extends to the maximum with som force. Is not terrible difficult to open the first two inches, assuming I understand the observation of your own shocks.

I am replacing all the factory speakers while I have the interior out again. They are/were original. I’ve done both front doors at damaged both front door speakers accidentally with my finger through the paper cone.

I’m in this bassheads on a fidget Facebook group and at some point car audio changed to weird brand names I’ve never heard of before. Skar Audio is one of those brands. I had more Amazon points and the brand is relatively cheap.

6.5 in the front. This is complete and I had to dremel-clearance the rear of the speaker pod to make room for the magnets. The magnetsdo not touch the door glass. I haven’t started on the rears but I separated the pods.

I have ordered another trunk latch at an attempt at repairing mine. My trunk latch lever moves a lot more than the release cable, the release cablenever fully actuated the latch. Tried bending it and broke the shit out of 30 year old pot metal.

Doing the UEGO wiring install. Car will more than likely have to go somewhere to weld a bung unless I try it with my shitty kicking horse welder from Canuckistan

·
90T
665 Posts
The hatch latch issue is usually caused by the second small cable from latch to main cable in the hatch area stretching. YotaMD sells a little gadget to fix that. For me I just drilled a lead fish weight and clamped it over the cable to "shorten" it.

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
The hatch latch issue is usually caused by the second small cable from latch to main cable in the hatch area stretching. YotaMD sells a little gadget to fix that. For me I just drilled a lead fish weight and clamped it over the cable to "shorten" it.

View attachment 258992

second time to monkey with this hatch cable, first time someone mentioned this. Hrm... let’s see what I can engineer thanks @3p141592654

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Fwiw I got Hagerty quotes on both Supras and forwarded those to my insurance agent and I’m going the agreed value route on both Supras as classic vehicles going forward. They’ve just been fully insured as operating vehicles previously😂

in case you were nosey, and we can have a debate if you’d like but I chose $15,000 and $40,000 respectively you can figure it out which is which and I feel like these are conservative and fair numbers to make me whole.

We have had two close calls in regards to tornadoes this year. I lost 60% of a home 8 years ago to tornadoes. Respect the polygon in Alabama y’all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
in case you were nosey, and we can have a debate if you’d like but I chose $15,000 and $40,000 respectively you can figure it out which is which and I feel like these are conservative and fair numbers to make me whole.
pham, what would you pay for a Mark III turbo that had 200,000 km on the dash if it was ready to drive and needed nothing?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
pham, what would you pay for a Mark III turbo that had 200,000 km on the dash if it was ready to drive and needed nothing?
not a lot mate. The goal is to buy low and sell high. I’m from America and you just said kilometers I’m having a meltdown over here on my calculator trying to convert to ounces.

Just how original is it, when is the last time it operates under its own power? How many type R stickers do I have to goof off off the windshield

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a set of Stabilus struts on my 87 with a wing, and it's a 1 finger lift ordeal. Even has the slow down before reaching the end of the strut travel.

24.72'' Stabilus sg229017-018 Lift Support | SG229017-018-W

Mine had labels on them that indicated that they were made by Sachs
May as well keep the hatch strut thread-jack going lol. I just ordered a pair of these, per @Captain 's recommendation. With exhange and shipping, it was only $109 CAD. I only hope I won't regret just spending the $200 each (again, CAD) from the dealer. The 'first two inches' issue in my mind, is an indication that the right part is vastly superior to a mediocre knock-off. My hood pops-up like a brand-new car, I hope the rear will too!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
..... and needed nothing....... ha ha ha!
IKR... what is this... needs nothing car?

Update on the white car: replaced the factory speakers, have not finished installing plastic interior trim. Have not finished installing rear suspension new struts but I have everything unbolted above. My nech still bothers me and getting underneath cars and reaching up isn't something I enjoy yet.

I made an offer on another home. I'm going to be losing this garage soon and moving into a smaller garage.

I have no idea where my cars will go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
.......I have no idea where my cars will go.
Awwwww.... My heart bleeds for you.

I have to work outside the patio door of my ground floor apartment. Still, beats NOT being able to drive right up to my patio door! Yes, I have a serious case of garage-envy with most of you guys.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
Awwwww.... My heart bleeds for you.

I have to work outside the patio door of my ground floor apartment. Still, beats NOT being able to drive right up to my patio door! Yes, I have a serious case of garage-envy with most of you guys.
New house has a garage, I just don't think I'm allowed to take it over this time. I think I have to built a new garage/barn/enclosed building for myself. :/

I'm pretty sure before I put my interior back together I'm going to utilize the 4" tweeter inputs, the factory OEM speaker inputs, I'm going to bypass those tweeters and run speaker wire to the rear and install a speaker terminal. That way I can add something like a bazooka tube sub or a small powered subwoofer utilizing the OEM high level inputs.

I'm not looking for a lot of bass just a little bit of kick.

Whether I get any of this done by Juneish when we close on the house I have no idea

·
Registered
64 Posts
I still chuckle at the thought of comparing my 'project' to yours, which is perhaps best illustrated by my running tally, updated moments ago after ordering the struts.

Oddly, in the mid 80s, I was a pro car audio system builder / installer, back when a man's worthiness was measured by the size of his subwoofer cabinets. My only goal in this dept is to swap the OEM head unit back in.

681 - 700 of 716 Posts