Supra Forums banner
781 - 795 of 795 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
As long as my head isn’t fubar I should be straightened out on the parts front.

It’s assembled with the DNJ pistons and then there’s an extra set of pistons that say ROCK on them.

something something bored out and good for 600hp that’s what they told me except I got zero documentation so everything needs to be cleaned and inspected first. I got it though thanks it’s all safe!

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
630 Posts
Absolutely. I did one side earlier this week and got thoroughly pissed off learning the process. But For the driver side, I never worked on it for more than 15 minutes at a time and took lots of deep breaths. Someone asked why I was using a spring compressor but with the car way way in the air and the end links dropped I could never get the whole unit to come out unless I compressed it. Maybe if I had a second person helping me to stand on the rear knuckle...

I just had the car aligned not too long ago so I wanted minimal disassembly. It turned out well.

Car drove great 👍 Huge improvement in the ride. My rear shocks were gone. I’d be driving in on my bumpy road bang bang and now it’s smooth.

View attachment 259834
Oh man, i went through this on my 87 last summer. I was able to swap out the rears with the compressors etc, but let my local mechanic do the front. Turns out later i read that its actually quite easy IF you open up the upper control arms. Sigh. Anyway I also agree that the car rides and handles and rides much better with something besides originals

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Quick update on what’s going on. I’ve disassembled the interior rear again:

Rear struts I never installed ✅
Rear hatch struts ✅
Considering replacing OEM rear speakers while I’m here ✅
More general cleanup ✅
These sexy motherfucking cherry red new old stock 91 tails that have been LED swapped ✅

View attachment 258842

Also I gotta inspect my driveshaft. I think there’s something wrong with driveline, diff, rear subframe. My teeth have started chattering during and after driving.
Yep, upgraded all my lights to LED last summer as well! It was fun right? <NO

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I recalibrated my lamp fail sensor for LED stops and Tails. The recal part was easy, just need to solder in a bigger sense resistor proportional to the lower current, but the characteristics of the LED lights make the sensor sometimes trip when you hit the brakes due to the faster rise time of the current. I found a combination of capacitors across the sense wires that fixed it. I have posted the info here.

I'm replacing my tails with these very soon, so I exoect I will have to again recalibrate the sensor.

View attachment 259825
I found the blinker relay that makes the hyperflash go away. The problem I ran into was that the 87-88 models have a smaller plug in socket than the 89-92 models. I was working on a custom adapter last year before I put my project on hold.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
RIP y’all, pretty sure the motor just went kaput bang squeak knock on one of my trips hauling car parts back and forth between houses. It’s not looking good :-(

Ouch man. My 84 Supra made a similar sound, not that loud though. :(

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
New house has a garage, I just don't think I'm allowed to take it over this time. I think I have to built a new garage/barn/enclosed building for myself. :/

I'm pretty sure before I put my interior back together I'm going to utilize the 4" tweeter inputs, the factory OEM speaker inputs, I'm going to bypass those tweeters and run speaker wire to the rear and install a speaker terminal. That way I can add something like a bazooka tube sub or a small powered subwoofer utilizing the OEM high level inputs.

I'm not looking for a lot of bass just a little bit of kick.

Whether I get any of this done by Juneish when we close on the house I have no idea
Man I've been gone too long. So what I did with mine. I found a factory head unit in A+ condition to replace my old one. Got a 4 Channel Alpine Amp. Found 6.5 door mounts from a 91 and put Fosgate 6.5 and tweeters up high custom near the mirror pillar, crossover in the door. I posted that here somewhere. Then got Fosgate 10" subs in a box in the rear. Disconnected old rears. Got fancy with the wiring to make it all balance out, and finished it off with a BlueTooth to FM transmitter lighter adapter module. Disconnected my regular radio antenna (L.A .area its impossible to find a free band otherwise) and now I stream Iron Maiden from my phone. Just like 1988 (y):p

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Ouch man. My 84 Supra made a similar sound, not that loud though. :(
I'm not doing so well or well I don't know anymore. The cars are parked at my grandparents house in their garage. My MKIV has spent some time like this in the past. I was moving the 91 to the new house when the motor blew. I trailered it to it's new home and left it there. @Chocolate Cowboy found a motor for me but it's just taking up space in my tiny new garage.

I'm trying to sell my other house. I'm trying to get a big new shop built.

Ever since I had this spine surgery at the beginning of the year my kidney function is... well it's real bad. I'm waiting on my latest labwork to find out if I'm dying or not pretty much right now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm not doing so well or well I don't know anymore. The cars are parked at my grandparents house in their garage. My MKIV has spent some time like this in the past. I was moving the 91 to the new house when the motor blew. I trailered it to it's new home and left it there. @Chocolate Cowboy found a motor for me but it's just taking up space in my tiny new garage.

I'm trying to sell my other house. I'm trying to get a big new shop built.

Ever since I had this spine surgery at the beginning of the year my kidney function is... well it's real bad. I'm waiting on my latest labwork to find out if I'm dying or not pretty much right now.
SENDING PRAYERS TO YA BROTHER!! I HOPE ALL IS WELL OR WILL GET BETER SOON .

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I was actually thinking about this thread the other day and how it went silent. now i think you can hear a pin drop in here. man that is unfortunate to hear, the continued health issues. I hope they can figure it out bud and get you healed up.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear it man. Hopefully they can get you patched up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pham it's gorgeous. My 91 will never look that good in my garage, or run that good. I can't do the work myself. Selling it back to the daughter in a few days... What you have done with yours is just beautiful. And I just read the whole thread. I'm so sorry you're sick, and the engine blew. Hope things get better for you

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Oh man, that's not good news! Sending you the best thoughts I possibly can!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Definitely stay focused on your health and after that your family's housing. Your internals are more important than the Supras. Hope all of that improves for you soon.

781 - 795 of 795 Posts