Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently installed the 2-step, and I don't see it building boost crap. My boost guage needle is in vacuum the whole time.

I talked to a member, and he says he's seeing 7psi with his 2-step. He says he just put his car in 1st gear, press the clutch, and rev away. And his boost guage will show 7psi.

When I put it in 1st, press the clutch, and rev away my boost guage needle is in vacuum.

Can someone explain to me what's going on??

-------------

Some people say that it can't build boost because I have the clutch pressed and there's no load on the engine. That makes sense, but how's this guy able to build 7psi?

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToMuchBoost said:
At what setting do you have your 2 step on(what rev limit)?
4500rpm, but I don't think it matters does it? I also tried 5000, but nothing. It's always in vacuum.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Do you have it hooked up right? Is the engine stuttering at 4500 or 5K when you have your foot to the floor?

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ex5.0 said:
Do you have it hooked up right? Is the engine stuttering at 4500 or 5K when you have your foot to the floor?
Yea, everything is hooked up right. The engine stutters, and the 2-step makes this funny noise when I reach my set rpm.

-----

I'm actually looking for owners to chime in to say whether they actually see positive boost with the clutch pushed in or not. Or I just need 2-step owners to chime in to tell me what's going on.

·
Boost Junkie
12,613 Posts
Push down on the gas harder.

Steve K.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Assuming it is installed correctly -

Set it to 6000rpm
Put in 1st gear
Push in clutch
FLOOR THE GAS

2step @ 6k - it should studder real quick on that little turbo and start banging away :D Result = boost

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
If I remember correctly the 2-step makes a little click sound when it is stuttering. Do you have another boost gauge you can try just for a sanity check?

Hope you figure out your problem. Mine worked perfect the first time I installed it and it always worked perfect after that as well.

Let us know the progress.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Philly Single said:
Assuming it is installed correctly -

Set it to 6000rpm
Put in 1st gear
Push in clutch
FLOOR THE GAS

2step @ 6k - it should studder real quick on that little turbo and start banging away :D Result = boost
Wouldn't launching at 6000rpm spin the wheels like crazy? It's getting late here to try that. The neighbors would have the cops here in a min.

I'll try it tomorrow. Do I push the clutch all the way in and drop it real quick? Or do I release and play around with it to the point where it catches, then release it?

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Well, right now we're just trying to figure out if it's setup right/working.

So, set the 2step, have the car in gear, push the clutch in and floor the throttle. You don't have th launch the car to see that it's properly building boost ;)

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Philly Single said:
Well, right now we're just trying to figure out if it's setup right/working.

So, set the 2step, have the car in gear, push the clutch in and floor the throttle. You don't have th launch the car to see that it's properly building boost ;)
So even though, technically, there isn't load on the car it'll still build boost anyways? If so, that's the shit I'm talking about!!!

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Yes, it'll still build boost - the 2step is messing with your fuel / spark - hence, the BANG-BANG-BANG you'll hear.

I use to 2step at 7000rpm and it was LOUD.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And we have boost....

OK, so that's what I was doing wrong before. I wasn't exactly flooring it. I just revved a lil pass the set rpm and hold it there.

Anyways, I'm only getting .1bar (like 1.5psi). What exact determines how many psi you get?

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you turn the dial inside the box using a voltage meter, you can change the speed at which it pops..

Yours may not be dialed in all the way...I had to dial mine in using a volt meter...

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Riggs said:
If you turn the dial inside the box using a voltage meter, you can change the speed at which it pops..

Yours may not be dialed in all the way...I had to dial mine in using a volt meter...
I haven't messed with the little screw yet. I heard that if you make a mistake playing around with the screw, it might fry the chip.

So anyways, how should I go about tuning the screw? Should I start it all the way clockwise and go counterclockwise slowly? Or should I do the opposite.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I pulled the box apart, it has 4 screws underneath that piece of adhesive paper that is labeled with the RPM stuff....

Inside of the box, you should be able to find a positive wire for the voltmeter to connect to, and just put the negative from your volt meter somewhere on the car where you can get a good ground...

As you play with the dial inside the box, you will find that the voltage will change as you turn it....

I have mine on 1.7 volts right now...in my 94 Turbo Supra...

Take care!

Chris

·
Turbo Fire Truck Driver
559 Posts
Do you have your car in TTC mode or Sequential? You won't see much boost with it in Sequential.

Wes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts