Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently if I have either the red wire or the black wire going to the 2-step connected the car will not start at all...if I disconnect both the black and red wire the car starts and runs fine.
The white wire is going to the ECU and the Green whire is going to the harness as well as the AFC and the VPC. When the car is started the AFC shows RPM good and the car starts so I don't think that there could be a wiring issue there...and also if the White wire was not connected the car would probably not start at all.

Does anyone have any input on this situtation. Your help is very appreciated. Thanks

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Currently if I have either the red wire or the black wire going to the 2-step connected the car will not start at all...if I disconnect both the black and red wire the car starts and runs fine.
The white wire is going to the ECU and the Green whire is going to the harness as well as the AFC and the VPC. When the car is started the AFC shows RPM good and the car starts so I don't think that there could be a wiring issue there...and also if the White wire was not connected the car would probably not start at all.

Does anyone have any input on this situtation. Your help is very appreciated. Thanks
Where do you have the wires hooked up too? The black is ground so I would suggest mounting it to the car and using chasis ground vice electrical ground if it's not all ready like that. If you have 2 or more things tapped off your voltage source you could be loading it down too much. Use a voltmeter and check the voltage of each tap. If you are using Vampire taps make sure the crimp connection is good. This taps are infamous for being loose. This will cause problems.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Phillip Long 2-step

Silver Orchid SP60 said:

Where do you have the wires hooked up too? The black is ground so I would suggest mounting it to the car and using chasis ground vice electrical ground if it's not all ready like that. If you have 2 or more things tapped off your voltage source you could be loading it down too much. Use a voltmeter and check the voltage of each tap. If you are using Vampire taps make sure the crimp connection is good. This taps are infamous for being loose. This will cause problems.
Thanks for the reply...maybe I will just try to run the power straight off of the battery and see if that works and if the car starts then I will have to use a different power source.

B

·
0 Posts
Make sure you have the 2step wired in after the VPC reads the signal but before it gets to the ECU. I'm not sure if you are using a VPC with a harness but when I put the 2step on Element217's car I had to go all the way to where the VPC harness meets the ECU and come up that wire a little just to make sure it was after the VPC read RPMS. If thats not the problem, hook up the wires so that it wont start. When you try to start it look and see if the AFC shows any RPM reading. If it shows 0 rpms or something strange its probly the 2step itself. Good luck.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brad Mayo said:
Make sure you have the 2step wired in after the VPC reads the signal but before it gets to the ECU. I'm not sure if you are using a VPC with a harness but when I put the 2step on Element217's car I had to go all the way to where the VPC harness meets the ECU and come up that wire a little just to make sure it was after the VPC read RPMS. If thats not the problem, hook up the wires so that it wont start. When you try to start it look and see if the AFC shows any RPM reading. If it shows 0 rpms or something strange its probly the 2step itself. Good luck.
The way I have it wired is: Wiring harness red/yellow goes to the VPC/AFC/Green wire on 2-step, then white wire on the 2-step goes to the red/yellow wire on the ECU which is number 58.

B

·
0 Posts
Thats how my car is set up. I dont know why its acting up. Did you check to see if you were still getting a rpm signal when the car wont start? We had a hell of a time trying to get an RPM window switch to work. It would ground out the signal somehow so the ECU never saw that it was reading RPMS. We later found out that MSD's boxes cant read off the same RPM wire as the rest of the electrinics in the car. Sounds more and more like a bad 2step.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brad Mayo said:
Thats how my car is set up. I dont know why its acting up. Did you check to see if you were still getting a rpm signal when the car wont start? We had a hell of a time trying to get an RPM window switch to work. It would ground out the signal somehow so the ECU never saw that it was reading RPMS. We later found out that MSD's boxes cant read off the same RPM wire as the rest of the electrinics in the car. Sounds more and more like a bad 2step.
My AFC still shows RPM when the engine turns over and tries to start when the black or red wire is hooked up. Then when I disconnect the black and red wire the car starts and everything functions perfectly.
I also tried to connect the red and black wire whent he car is actually running and it just immediately shuts off the car.

B

·
0 Posts
Very strange. Email Phillip and see what he says. I'll see him this weekend so I'll ask too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts