Supra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
It doesn't sound like an HKS Ti because he is on stock twins and no exhaust system sounds good on a car with stock twins. Someone needs to install it on a nice single turbo car.

Steve
Depends what your definition of "nice" is my hks ti sounded pretty nice when I was still on twins. Actually people couldnt tell if it was single or what.. Sounded like I had some crazy cams..

·
Super Moderator
10,362 Posts
It doesn't sound like an HKS Ti because he is on stock twins and no exhaust system sounds good on a car with stock twins. Someone needs to install it on a nice single turbo car.

Steve
Not exactly. There is a distinct HKS ti sound on stock twins that no other exhaust has been able to duplicate, IMO. While the car had HKS 280 cams, listen to the vids of Kamira's stock twins car with the HKS ti. It's about as aggressive and nice sounding as stock twins can be, IMO. The key to that sound, of course, is HKS muffler technology which nobody has been able to duplicate for sound AND flow. Anybody can make 4-inch piping but the HKS R & D on the Racing Titanium was extensive and it still shows after all these years (and this was done when HKS was a true powerhouse; not the company it is today that does not even have a USDM presence). This is why the absolute best combo, IMO, would be PHR titanium piping mated to the HKS ti muffler.

If this were my deal (no offense intended, Joe), I would start a thread of certified would-be purchasers. To get on this list, you would have to put 50% of the payment down. After getting 30 or so buyers, I would approach HKS-Japan to see if 30 Racing ti mufflers could be purchased for our purposes. Such an order should result in a GB discount from HKS and PHR, although it's likely the yen:dollar exchange rate would screw with this. Even so, MVP is selling two genuine HKS ti exhausts for $1900 each. I think this price could be beaten by the PHR/HKS combo exhaust and still allow a decent price for guys like us and a decent profit for PHR since it is responsible for all the heavy lifting in this regard.

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,454 Posts
Not exactly. There is a distinct HKS ti sound on stock twins that no other exhaust has been able to duplicate, IMO. While the car had HKS 280 cams, listen to the vids of Kamira's stock twins car with the HKS ti. It's about as aggressive and nice sounding as stock twins can be, IMO. The key to that sound, of course, is HKS muffler technology which nobody has been able to duplicate for sound AND flow. Anybody can make 4-inch piping but the HKS R & D on the Racing Titanium was extensive and it still shows after all these years (and this was done when HKS was a true powerhouse; not the company it is today that does not even have a USDM presence). This is why the absolute best combo, IMO, would be PHR titanium piping mated to the HKS ti muffler.

If this were my deal (no offense intended, Joe), I would start a thread of certified would-be purchasers. To get on this list, you would have to put 50% of the payment down. After getting 30 or so buyers, I would approach HKS-Japan to see if 30 Racing ti mufflers could be purchased for our purposes. Such an order should result in a GB discount from HKS and PHR, although it's likely the yen:dollar exchange rate would screw with this. Even so, MVP is selling two genuine HKS ti exhausts for $1900 each. I think this price could be beaten by the PHR/HKS combo exhaust and still allow a decent price for guys like us and a decent profit for PHR since it is responsible for all the heavy lifting in this regard.

Ken.
Ken,

Problem is the titanium piping will make the muffler sound different too. The lighter piping will result in a more bright sound. I agree with you on the sound of the HKS Ti. I used to have one.

Steve

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think a full ti 4" exhaust HKS style would be great...plus it would be a sweet option to have...I'd rather not get a whifblitz or whatever its called from overseas..

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
Ken,

Problem is the titanium piping will make the muffler sound different too. The lighter piping will result in a more bright sound. I agree with you on the sound of the HKS Ti. I used to have one.

Steve
I agree with Steve, however only one way to find out for sure.. So who's gonna be the guinea pig and get just the piping for ti??

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,875 Posts
Maybe they could use one of their genuine HKS Ti muffler of the 2 systems they currently have for sale for testing with 4" Ti piping ? This way, we can get a true sound clip and all done in-house. It will also serve the purpose for precise fabbing & mating the PHR 4" Ti piping for us current Ti Muffler owners.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Not to throw this topic off by any means but I am in the process of building a custom 4" exhaust for my stock twins car.

It will have stainless steel piping. Only thing now is muffler. I was hoping to get a similar sounding setup like the HKS Ti but it seems hard to duplicate since there is nothing on the market really like it.
Can I get the CARBON Ti canister, cut both ends of it off... and make the inlet and outpipe 4"? which could get me close to the real Ti sound characteristics?

Carbon Ti muffler runs about $400.
There is also the burns muffler which goes just a bit over $300.

This is only 3" burns setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0W_S-PiVsc

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,875 Posts
^ Nowhere close to the HKS Ti sound compared to a Carbon Ti, even on 4" piping. Even the Carbon Ti you are seeking is a universal muffler @ 75MM inlet, with the MK4 specific app at 95mm piping and inlet matched (canister barrels are the same at 170mm circumference). Trust me, been down this road and actually have a BNIB HKS Carbon Ti MK4 app sitting here for this custom purpose if I don't go PHR 4" Ti piping. You'd have to hollow out the inlet (on the univeral even more) but I don't know if that affects the specific flow or sound related to the Carbon exhaust shell construction internally. I have personally seen & heard a 95mm version mated to 4" piping. beautiful note ! Burns is a just an all out race sound

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ive gotten pricing back on material etc and its going to cost $1300 to do this for piping alone. This is sourced out of the USA not Thailand or china.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
^ Nowhere close to the HKS Ti sound compared to a Carbon Ti, even on 4" piping. Even the Carbon Ti you are seeking is a universal muffler @ 75MM inlet, with the MK4 specific app at 95mm piping and inlet matched (canister barrels are the same at 170mm circumference). Trust me, been down this road and actually have a BNIB HKS Carbon Ti MK4 app sitting here for this custom purpose if I don't go PHR 4" Ti piping. You'd have to hollow out the inlet (on the univeral even more) but I don't know if that affects the specific flow or sound related to the Carbon exhaust shell construction internally. I have personally seen & heard a 95mm version mated to 4" piping. beautiful note ! Burns is a just an all out race sound
Thanks for the reply, its helpful.

Well I will be going with 4" piping. Just undecided if I wanted to go with the burns muffler or HKS.

I am using the car mostly on the street so I think HKS muffler will be the better choice, and I'll try and make it work. The burns is a bit too crazy.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
FYI, my brand new delivered HKS ti weighs 23.2 pounds for the canister and stainless piping.

Only downside I can see, there is a crimp at the vband clamp that creates a restriction down to 3.6 inches. Otherwise the tubing is 4" OD.

Adam

·
Boost Junkie
12,454 Posts
FYI, my brand new delivered HKS ti weighs 23.2 pounds for the canister and stainless piping.

Only downside I can see, there is a crimp at the vband clamp that creates a restriction down to 3.6 inches. Otherwise the tubing is 4" OD.

Adam
Adam,

Does that weight include the HKS hangars that attach to the car as well?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,362 Posts
Adam,

Does that weight include the HKS hangars that attach to the car as well?

Steve
Steve,

With hangers, the weight of the HKS ti comes in at 27-lbs. We were careful to include all hangers and assorted bracketry when we conducted the Clash of the Titans II exhaust shootout.

Ken.

·
Always Garaged
809 Posts
Ken Henderson is a walking Supra Encyclopedia!

·
Boost Junkie
12,454 Posts
Steve,

With hangers, the weight of the HKS ti comes in at 27-lbs. We were careful to include all hangers and assorted bracketry when we conducted the Clash of the Titans II exhaust shootout.

Ken.
Yea, that is pretty light. So you are talking about dropping maybe 10lbs for $1000.00? I don't know. I could see purchasing an entire new Ti exhaust system for around $1200-$1500, but if you already have the HKS Ti, I don't know if it makes much sense to drop it to save 10lbs of weight. That is practically nothing for a 3400lb car.

Steve

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Steve,

Ken.
Yes, I only weighed the muffler with silencer and piping. In my mind the factory hangar mount and the two HKS hangar mounts are very close in overall weight that they negate any impact on the actual exhaust.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts