Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
boost life
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys , about 18 months ago or so i bought from you guys the PHR alternator re wire kit and just now getting ready to install along with my upgraded alt. to facilitate installing the phr is300 fan kit

i am pleading for a answer here , please ... i have relocated my battery to the trunk and have a power dist. block up front which is where the main 0 gauge wire from battery in trunk connects into then from there i have the 4 gauge oem wire going into same dist block up front to main fuse box .. on the side that battery wire from trunk feeds into i have another empty 0 guage to 4 gauge slot , should i run the alternator wire from your kit that comes of off the 250 amp fuse in your kit into that slot and bypass how oem has it and not keep oem wire from alt at all in other words not use it ..

id like to do this tomorrow so if you would kindly reply

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would terminate the oem wire from the system and then use the supplied 4gauge wire to the distribution block.

·
boost life
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible for PHR to reply here to a question from a customer who actually has bought product from PHR ..

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey guys , about 18 months ago or so i bought from you guys the PHR alternator re wire kit and just now getting ready to install along with my upgraded alt. to facilitate installing the phr is300 fan kit

i am pleading for a answer here , please ... i have relocated my battery to the trunk and have a power dist. block up front which is where the main 0 gauge wire from battery in trunk connects into then from there i have the 4 gauge oem wire going into same dist block up front to main fuse box .. on the side that battery wire from trunk feeds into i have another empty 0 guage to 4 gauge slot , should i run the alternator wire from your kit that comes of off the 250 amp fuse in your kit into that slot and bypass how oem has it and not keep oem wire from alt at all in other words not use it ..

id like to do this tomorrow so if you would kindly reply
What I would do is run the new kit from the Alternator to your distribution block. You can eliminate the fuse, with the way you have it, but you need to have a fuse near the battery on your main wire. You can use the supplied fuse holder and fuse to do so.

You can keep the OEM wire in the car, but make sure the wire is well insulated. It will still be hot.

Keep in mind I have not seen your car, so this is in no way a good set of instructions, just trying to advise you with the information at hand.

·
boost life
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I would do is run the new kit from the Alternator to your distribution block. You can eliminate the fuse, with the way you have it, but you need to have a fuse near the battery on your main wire. You can use the supplied fuse holder and fuse to do so.

You can keep the OEM wire in the car, but make sure the wire is well insulated. It will still be hot.

Keep in mind I have not seen your car, so this is in no way a good set of instructions, just trying to advise you with the information at hand.
Thanks for the reply, I do use a 200amp circuit breaker right off the battery , would this suffice .. would their be any issue still using the supplied fuse up front right before distribution block or would this be redundant

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I do use a 200amp circuit breaker right off the battery , would this suffice .. would their be any issue still using the supplied fuse up front right before distribution block or would this be redundant
I would go at at least a 250Amp breaker. Using the 300Amp right before the fuse would be pointless because it's a higher amperage than the breaker. It would just pop the breaker if there was ever a short and the fuse at that point and fuse offers no further protection, just acts as a restriction to the charging system.

·
boost life
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would go at at least a 250Amp breaker. Using the 300Amp right before the fuse would be pointless because it's a higher amperage than the breaker. It would just pop the breaker if there was ever a short and the fuse at that point and fuse offers no further protection, just acts as a restriction to the charging system.

Thanks Bryan for the replies , I truly appreciate it . But the supplied fuse in your kit is 250amp , so are you saying the using it inline between alternator and distribution block up front would be pointless because I have a actual circuit breaker right off the battery anyways . Isn't that fuse front designed to prevent too much juice on the system before power gets to the fuse box via a heavy Gauge cable I have going from distribution block to fuse box

This is my last clarifying question and thanks again

·
boost life
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to phi (Bryan) , is final verdict to upgrade my breaker to 250amp and don't use your supplied 250 fuse . Would it serve any additional protection to mount fuse right before distribution block or as you've stated would be pointless . If something within charging system was amiss the breaker by battery would trip , is this correct ..

Awaiting your reply so I can purchase the 250 amp breaker (I just checked what in my trunk and I have currently a 150amp so would definitely need to upgrade it)

I'm sorry for the multiple questions but electrical guy I am not , but point me in right direction and I can install just about anything

·
boost life
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Morning Byron

Can I get this last answer please so I can finally put this in this weekend

1 - 11 of 11 Posts