Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body here have any thoughts on the PHR Stage 2+ kit from Power House Racing? I'm thinking about ordering the kit and just want some reviews on it. Search button is not here, so I can't find anything on it. Also, compared to the
T04Z or the T51, what would be your choice for street use with less lag? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

~Asim

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
Asim,

Board member Lagtime is your friend. He has this exact turbo kit on his car and can give you his very thorough impressions regarding the entire package, including sharing various dyno sheets.

As to the HKS T-51R and the HKS T04Z, the T04Z will be, by far, the better street turbo. The T04Z is a 67 mm DBB turbo and good for a bit over 700 wheel, whereas there are three versions of the T-51R. First, there is the journal bearing Kai, good for about 800 whp with the right supporting mods and tune and the journal bearing and DBB versions of the SPL, both good for very close to 1000 whp with the right supporting mods and tune. If streetability is where you're at, among those four turbos, the T04Z has your name on it. This all assumes you select the best A/R to suit your needs. Hope this helps.

Ken.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Is anyone running the HKS T04Z? Seems like a nice turbocharger. What kind of spool up can one expect on the street with a .81 A/R?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I had a 66mm precision turbo with a 0.81 housing which has very similar output to a 67mm turbo, and it was a great street turbo. I soon got used to the power and wanted something more and went with a 74mm.

But on a different note, although I am sure Powerhouse has a wonderful product, I would not spend $5300 (non-BB) $6000 (BB) for a PHR Stage 2+. You could get a similar wonderful product from like BoostLogic for 2K less. Or even better put your pieces together yourself as I did earlier on. You will see plenty of guys selling barely used, or new turbos for around ~1000-1200. Get yourself a manifold, a Tial WG, MP+DP and your lines. I know plenty of people that put a very nice system together for $2500-3000. Take the other $3k and upgrade your fuel lines, etc etc. Just my 0.02.

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
moreboost.org isn't working. I had a friend with the PHR Stage II+ and I thought it was a great steet turbo. Great spool, good power for most of us, and excellent power with race gas.

Steve K.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Ken,
I didn't check just now and I could be wrong, but I think Lagtime has the PHR1+ not the 2+.

IMO the PHR kits are very nice, well detailed, and a proven product. But you can get something similar for less. There were a couple dyno charts posted for the TO4Z a few months ago.

·
Registered
593 Posts
a PHR 2+kit and a HKS T04Z are both 67DBB turbos. PHR uses a ITS turbo, and the T04Z uses a garrett turbo in HKS specs. There was also a write up with dyno graphs in the dyno tuning section which showed that a BL67DBB (precision turbo) outperformed the T04Z in every aspect. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all your help. All the info has been very helpful. I guess I just need to sit down and figure out which one is going to be a better turbo for me.

~Asim

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
The PHR 2+ is a AWESOME setup. I had it for about 2 years or more. It dynoed 707 rwhp ran 10.6 @ 140 at the strip on a stock motor with 264 cams. And as far as fast spooling street turbo , it was absolutely awesome. It emabarassed quite a few "larger" turbo setups. Have a few dyno graphs i could send you if interested. Definitely well worth the money. To this day Similar cheaper setups for whaetver reason have not yet = IMHO the performance and streetability factor of the 2+. And in that time...i never had a problem with anything, turbo, coating flaking off, wg, lines ...NOTHING.

·
Boost Junkie
12,635 Posts
I'd have to agree. We never got a good dyno on his car, but with the PHR intake manifold I'd guess it put down low 700s. We beat a liter bike with that turbo that trapped 141 or so and the Supra had a passenger as well.

I'm anxious to dyno my car now with the 6-speed and .81 hotside on my SP67 P trim to see what it puts down.

Steve K.

·
624 Posts
Can't seem to find the dyno sheet from the T04Z in the dyno section, and moreboost.org isn't working today. Can someone point the way?

·
Old School
4,065 Posts
Ken,
I didn't check just now and I could be wrong, but I think Lagtime has the PHR1+ not the 2+.

IMO the PHR kits are very nice, well detailed, and a proven product. But you can get something similar for less. There were a couple dyno charts posted for the TO4Z a few months ago.
Correct you are, Nick. I have the Ben Phillips version of the PHR Stage 1, this mainly involves a clip of the turbine wheel.

I like the PHR kits, but I'm a bit outside the Supraforums mainstream when it comes to paying for certain things, like the genuine HKS manifold, wastegate, the Extreme 2000 coating and the drop-down style IC piping the PRE & PHR kits use.

I agree with Nick, though, that you can buy, for example, a Boostlogic kit that has excellent quality at a decent savings. Up to the buyer what they value.

FWIW, if I was starting all over from scratch I'd do a full HKS T04Z kit with the 1.0AR. I know of a few sold in the $5300~$5800 dollar range. Some would think it a waste of cash, but since it would be my cash, and as I don't care much for following the forum consensus on things, it would make me a happy guy.

So, buy what makes you comfortable. You can't really go wrong with a kit from any of the major players (SP, BL, HKS, Greddy), and some version of a 67mm turbo is a proven winner for a street-focused setup.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
Ken,

Nick,

I believe you are correct. Lagtime's turbo is a 61 mm, which I believe is the Stage 1+ as you noted.

Espeefan, not a whole lot of T04Z dyno sheets available on this board. You pretty much have to visit various Aussie and NZ forums to get good reliable info. From what I know, which isn't all that much regarding this turbo, I haven't seen anything outspool it in a true apples to apples comparison, the BL 67 notwithstanding. The problem is, I've only personally seen it perform in one 3L application and one 3.4L application which is not applicable to this discussion. I have a friend with an auto getting this turbo (1.0 A/R, IIRC) installed as this is written. Most of us are probably 6MT guys but we may still find his info useful when the car is dialed in and fully tuned.

Ken.

·
624 Posts
Ken, thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to check other boards for some graphs. I read very little on the T04Z, myself, but they boast about the quicker spool everywhere. Would it be un-reasonable to expect it to be fully spooled up by 4,000 to 4,500 RPM?

My thought is I could throw this kit on my car, leaving the engine stock for a good while, and maybe reach 500whp on pump gas. In the future, the engine could be built more fully, and hit closer to the stated 700 hp claim. I'd rather have a turbo that has some room to grow. Supposed I'd get used to the lag on the street, but I'd hate to narrow the power band up a lot if the rev limiter is not raised until later when the head is re-worked a bit.

Nathan

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
^^^Nathan, Lagtime and I have been discussing this turbo off and on for a while. If I go single on my red car, I am thinking of going the same route he is. I'm never really comfortable having these spool discussions because they are rarely, if ever, apples to apples and my tuner (and Chip's) is great at this sort of thing. As Chip noted, all the 67s will do the job for you. I think the way a guy's car is set-up and the quality of the tune are even more important than the hard parts selected. I know I didn't answer your question directly, but now you know why.

Ken.

·
624 Posts
No, I hear you, Ken. I understand the hard parts make a lot of difference. Guess I'll just wait to see some dyno charts and decide for myself. Thanks!

Nathan

·
Registered
13,582 Posts

·
624 Posts
Thanks for posting that Nick. Funny some dyno charts and spool times seem to contradict each other. In some cases the T04Z spool up is worse then a T67, and in some cases better. How does one make sense of it all if the cars and hard parts are not identical, like Ken mentioned eariler?

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
Thanks for posting that Nick. Funny some dyno charts and spool times seem to contradict each other. In some cases the T04Z spool up is worse then a T67, and in some cases better. How does one make sense of it all if the cars and hard parts are not identical, like Ken mentioned eariler?
Nathan,

I didn't check the links Nick posted but, if they are the ones I've read previously, there are far too many variables for a person to make an informed decision regarding which 67 mm turbo they should select....overall vehicle set-up, state and quality of the tune, standalone or piggy-backed EMS versus piggy-backs, actual hard parts utilized, cams or not, head work or not, fuel utilized and so on. This is why if Lagtime goes with the T04Z, and I believe that will be the only change he makes, the results should offer a good comparison of spool as it relates to his current PHR Stage 1+ set-up. It won't be a 67 mm to 67 mm comparison that many of us are interested in, but it should still offer good data for those with stock motors, cams (but no head work) and a piggy-backed EMS (V Pro) that are thinking about this turbo.

Ken.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts