Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Grocery Getter
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had a PHR street kit on their car. IF so could you tell me what you dynoed at around 18 psi or on 93 octane. I know the #'s for 27 psi, but am interested in what it can do on pump gas. Also whay type of lag do you get and how is the powerband

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
I have it on my car. I haven't dynoed the car @ 18 psi yet. I don't have any dyno sheets with the car on pump gas at 18 psi either. I try not to kill myself, so I usually keep the car at 11 psi when I am driving around town and 16 psi when i want to go buck wild.

My dyno sheet shows the car hitting full boost at 3800 rpm. This was with the exhaust cam gear set at 0 marks. I have since tuned this to -4 marks and the spool up is atleast 200 rpm quicker. I can hear the wastegate opening up now at 3600 rpm instead of 3800 rpm. What you have to remember that this is a small single probably a t62 .58 a/r p-trim. Turbos like this and the sp57 don't have much lag and i would have to say outspool stock twins in sequential all day long when they are properly tuned and almost outspool stock twins untuned. I make about 7 psi at 3k rpm and whatever i want to at 3.6 rpm.

Jarrett said the car made 434 rwhp on pump gas at 14 psi. www.sidwin.com/supra/single I have all of the dyno runs scanned their if u want to see them. I am going to be hopping on the dyno in a couple of weeks and will let u know then.

Sid

·
Grocery Getter
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the info man. I knew it spooled fast, just not that fast. I've been talking to dusty and it's really hard to decide if i want a street kit or something larger. Are you going to be at Tx2K2. If so either email me or just post a reply. Good luck on the dyno.
Thanxs again:)

C

·
0 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about the SP 57, and not a lot of good things about the street kit. All the info on the PHR street kit just doesn't seem to be substantiated.

Check out an SP57 and call Larry at Sound-Performance. They are awesome people and will be more than happy to help you out. You will definatly be happy with the Sound-Performance Kit.

I've got an SP60 and it runs great, now that I've gotten all the quirks that resulted from Lance at Toyomoto worked out.

Hope that helps.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
Well Jon,

The Powerhouse Street Kit is not that complicated of a kit. Cast Steel manifold log style setup, with a t6X turbo, Turbo Innovative Progate Racegate and PHR midpipe. There has been such a misconception about going single. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. Too many companies out there make it sound very difficult to do. All a turbo kit is, turbo, manifold or header, midpipe, down pipe, return lines, intake and racegate.

You pay for a brand name kit because you are paying for more than just a product. You are paying for the service it takes Larry or Jarrett to go out and gather all of the supplies together and package as a SP or PHR kit. You also pay for the service of having Larry to stand behind his turbo for one full year and he will replace it if something was to happen to it. Any other kits out there don't carry a warranty on their turbo. Jarrett told me he thinks my turbo has a 6 month warranty on it but don't hold me to that. I didn't get anything in writing that stated of a warranty.

As for the performance of the kit, I have had my car back for over a month. I work a regular job so I can only work on my car on weekends and if I am not working on any local cars. I can honestly say I have about 40 hrs into tuning the car. I fixed the boost creep, boost leak in between shifts, tuned the fuel, put back screws and bolts, removed fuel lines, installed boost, fuel pressure and made wideband o2, cam gear adjustment, and other stuff. I know what u mean about having to do more additional stuff. I think that comes with the territory of going single. 100% reliable and not getting under the hood requires straight BPU or stock. APU means u will put more time under the hood than u will see daylight even if u bring it to the best shop in the world. I will have it on a dyno in a couple of weeks, but from my guestimation, 14 psi i am probably at ~440 rwhp on pump gas. What most people are forgetting is the area under the curve. Peak RWHP is braggin rights, the area under the curve is true power. BPU+++++ supras are barely at 410 rwhp at redline while small singles are at 450 rwhp and climbing.

It is kind of hard to compare the PHR street to the SP 57. I think they are in different classes. The PHR has a cast steel manifold vs Sp using a HKS like header. PHR kit has the Innovative Turbo Racegate vs SP's using HKS racegate. The PHR piggy backs off the RMM DP. The SP comes with a mid and dp. SP comes with a HKS Racing Bov. The PHR kit is 1400 less. The kit from www.directedengineering.com vs the phr street kit would be more of a better comparison since both are manifold style setup with the exception of Turbonetic racegate vs Innovative Turbo.

IMHO,
Sid

W

·
0 Posts
This is a veteran response. APU vehicles take maintenance. I drove my Supra to work every day over the last year, but I can assure you I spent many weekends fixing some minor problem and occasionally a less-than-minor one.

Let me point out one simple, inexorable truth: bigger turbos=bigger lag=more power. This ALWAYS holds true, except for very badly matched turbos. There is no magic turbo. If you want to go aftermarket turbo, expect a change in how you approach your car, and a beater car is recommended. But it can be ALOT of fun too.

C

·
0 Posts
My SP60 is my daily driver. I have had no problems with it (except for all of the install screw-ups that resulted from Toyomoto and the recent screw up at Toyota). The cars lag is no problem what so ever.

One thing that you need to have while daily driving an APU car is knowledge. If something goes wrong, you need to be able to figure it out quickly. Otherwise, you will be spending a fortune and a lifetime taking it to "professionals".

As far as the three different manufacturers are concerned, Larry has a killer product that everyone raves about. It performs like it looks, spectacularly.

Dimitri has the best bang for your buck product. It may not he the best looking kit on the market, but what else can you ask for when you pay two grand less for a complete turbo kit? It’s the best bang for your buck, period.

Larry and Dimitri both have exceptional service. I have spoken with Larry, Gary, and Ivan at SP numerous times on the phone about some of the problems with my car. They have even been so kind as to help me with things that couldn't be deemed within the rhelm of their responsibility (my recent oil blowout).

Dimitri has also been killer. I have seen how available he has been for Grant. If need to have a part made, Dimitri is your man. He can make anything you want. Grant has been able to discuss many different theories with him (water injection, raised fuel pressure instead of upgraded injectors, etc.) and Dimitri has been quick to offer support. He will be making some special parts for me very soon.

I can't say the same for PHR. I have called them numerous times with simple problems and they havn't been there either. When I was shopping for a turbo, PHR wasn't there for me. They just wanted big fuel, big intercooler, big everything. I guess they need that margin of error to tune.

I have heard tons of good feedback about SP turbos. If there is a problem, Larry will stand by his product and do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. In his minds eye, customer satisfaction is first and foremost. Customer satisfaction is driven by their availability and the quality of their product. QUALITY and CUSTOMER SERVICE is what they deliver, not some fancy stickers or archaic trends. Technology and tuning talks, that’s SP and Direct-engineering (Dimitri).

PHR is never available. They will not disclose the details of any of their products, they will not help you with your problems, and they will never compare to SP or Dimitri (direct engineering).

Reputation is important. But most of the time, delivery reins supreme. SP and Dimitri have come through on delivery while PHR has not. IMHO.

Cheers.

·
Grocery Getter
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you on the sp, but i don't have 5200 to spend on just the turbo kit. Damn all this shit is expensive. I hear very good things about PHR, and not so much about sp side except that they are expensive. Although i do live in dallas. If anyone has any info on the PHR kit let me know.

C

·
0 Posts
SP is superb. If they are a little too pricey, you can go with Dimitri. SP's kits will outperform dimitri's kits (cast manifold), but you can always get an SP turbo and put it on Dimitri's kit.

I have heard far more about SP kits than PHR kits. Search the forum for SP and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice posts Jon. I could not agree more with your vendor analysis.

My $.02: When shopping for a turbo kit one has two options:

1) Buy something with known components that has properly measured results. (directed or sp)
2) Buy something with mysterious components that has improperly measured results. (phr)

Steve

P.S. STD corrected dyno sheets such as PHR uses certainly do not count as properly measured and useful results for comparison with other setups. And don't get me started on the use of dangerously lean mixtures to inflate rwhp claims.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
Walser,
Thanks Walser for the compliment. You are right.. there isn't no perfect turbo.

Jon,
I have to admit I like Dimitri's approach on simplfying everything. Yes he doesn't have a car running 8's yet but no one is really out there to run's 8 ever day nor has the budget to do so.

You have to take into consideration that SP kit comes with a HKS racing bov which is about $500 bucks. You are also getting full header setup which is a tad bit more. If you want to compare kits, sp57 or sp 63 vs phr kit 1 is a good comparison.

Thanks,
Sid

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've got Dimitri's DIY kit. It isn't the prettiest thing out there thats for sure, but it should do the job. I just need to gather some some nuts, bolts and fittings and I'll be set. Oh, and and get some stuff welded....

Jon, I don't think we are in any position to judge either one of these kits, as neither of us have goten ours running correctly. I plan on getting a nice SAE corrected dyno of my T66 .70 ASAP after installing it and getting it running good at 18 psi (that could be a while).

I don't ever recall discussing water injection with Dimitri.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
alright now grant... it isn't nice to call someone's kit (ass)... :)Remeber Jon's kit is a RPS with SP60. I can only imagine the nightmares he had to go through. Partial faults have to be with the installer for doing stuff wrong, but what about the places that sold him the parts? You have to lay blame on them too. Yes toyomoto should have known about the vpc chip being wrong, but who gave it to them? Their pump action was wrong too, but who sold that to them? Wouldn't the part supplier know that Jon was trying to accomplish ABC and they sold him XYZ that made it more SHIT? We aren't the experts, therefore we take it to the "professionals" My car drove like crap when I first got it back. you will understand soon, single takes time. Tuning takes time. It isn't something that you can hop on a dyno and hit a magical a/f and call it a day. I know you two have been working on his car for awhile so i understand the frustration. I have been working on my car mostly a lone so take both frustration and put it into one...

As for cast manifold... i am guestimating maybe a 30-50 rwhp in power... but that is probably why most companies package a bigger turbo to compensate for the lack of flow with the manifold. I can't wait to see what we all do with our manifolds. That would be very interesting.

Now go and play nice :)
Sid

C

·
0 Posts
Grant,

I think that I can comment on how the kits look. I know that I havn't gotten my car running right, but we did have it running pretty damn good before I blew out all the seals. I think I can comment on how your kits looks, and it is a basic T66 so I don't see how things will go wrong.

Did Dimitri not do everything you want? Dual mass air flow, the nipples and fittings all welded where you want them, etc. I hardly know all the details of your dealings, but it would seem that you are pretty satisfied with Dimitri.

We will see how the car runs after this last thing gets fixed. I am sure that it will be running 10x better than it ever has before.

I just think that everyone should share their opinions so that the public can be more aware of the levels of quality and customer service of the products that are out there.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Jon, shit can always go wrong, especially when I'm doing the install (remember why my stock turbos broke?). Hell I don't even know if this dual MAF circuit I have will work at all.

Sid, its Toyomoto's fault. They should have known better. I wasn't trying to place the blame on the SP60 kit, it works fine (although IMO SP should use something other than Jet Hot, there are already some flakes on Jon's header).

I'm thinking the cast manfiold will present at most a 30rwhp restriction at 18 psi. Steve Vache put down 500rwhp on a T62 with 19psi, and one other person did 500rwhp with an SP63 and 18 psi, but with a stock IC.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
Grant,

That is what I am saying... Jon has RPS headers. Not SP/HKS ones. The RPS kit came like that. Besides Lar stated the reason he ceramic coats them are better than what most companies do which is nothing... Jet-Hot 2000 extreme is strong stuff. What most people do is get jet-hot standard which is only good for 1300 F which will flake on our applications, but has that cool sterling silver look vs getting the extreme which is butt ugly but just as good as HPC. Toyomoto should have installed the stuff right, but what about the companies that sold Jon the stuff? Didn't they know what Jon was trying to do , but yet sold him that stuff anyways?

Sid

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I believe Jon had the SP60 kit back when they used RPS headers. Might be wrong though. I know it originally came with a HKS GT wastegate. I'm not sure who sold him the stuff, I think he got his VPC used...

Its defiinitely the silver Jet-Hot coating that he has. I hope thats not what SP uses, didn't know there was a 2000F version.

All this stuff we are mentioning is why I work on my car myself. (well Jon might too, if he had a garage aside from mine, which he populates 9/10 days :)) If something goes wrong, you need to be able to understand the problem and fix it, instead of trying to call up Lance at Toyomoto (which is futile, they never answer the phone).

C

·
0 Posts
I have the RPS Header. I got the GT wastegate on my own, but Lance at Toyomoto was unwilling to install it. I am not sure which JetHot coating I have. I just had RPS send it all out when the kit was in Cali to have coated at JetHot.

I did get my VPC used. I don't know why Lance didn't check the chip.

Grant, your analysis of your Garage consumption is a little mistaken. I monopolize it only 2/10 days, Mike is the main consumer racking in a total of 7/10 days consistently for the past month doing intake leak tests :). Realistically, these are both gross exaggerations.

D

·
0 Posts
Can anyone post a dyno of the directed engineering kit compared to a phr street kit?

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
There isn't one to my knowledge. DirectedEngineering kit that Grant has is do it yourself kind.

The easiest way to compare the kits is to examine what it comes with. All things holding the same, the only difference is the turbo and the brand on the racegate when comparing Directed vs PHR. There isn't a real magic turbo or is anything of this is black magic, top secret, confidential or ROCKET SCIENCE.

When you are shopping for a turbo kit, you have to shop for a turbo that you like... You have to figure out what you want, hi rwhp or quick spool... Then you have to break it down to which kit and decide how much work you are willing to do. The more work, the cheaper the kit is going to be for u. Look for a complete kit, but be prepared to pay a more for the complete kit.

Hope that helps,
Sid

1 - 20 of 48 Posts