Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the PHR single valve spring and titanium retainer combo in their engines??? I am just installing my new head with HKS 264 In/Ex cams and noticed that the valve locks dont seem to sit flush with the retainers like they do on the stock setup and my engine builder is hesitant to go ahead as he is concerned that the engine might drop a valve. I ve take a picture of the valve outside the head, this is how the valve locks fit even with the valves installed with springs in the head.

I am using PHR single valve spring, PHR titanium retainers, stock valves and stock valve locks.

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
i think they might need to lock further down flush...how many times did he try??

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We ve tried fitting all the valves, thats just how they seem to fit. My engine builder is extremely hesitant to use this setup as he says he s never seen valve locks fit this way in any other engine he s built (not 2JZ though). I m considering using stock retainers with PHR springs if I dont get a solid opinion.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
In those pics they do seam to sit a bit high. I have used the PHR springs with crower tt retainers and stock retainers, and they didnt sit like that.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so basically, at the end I went for new stock retainers and dumped the PHR retainers as my builder and I were not happy with the way the valve locks were sitting in the PHR retainers.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
This is perfectly normal. If anything them sticking up will give you more grip.

We have had multiple applications with over 1000hp that have had these work just fine!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've ran them for the past year with no issues, if you look at them close you will see just as Joe stated that they are actually better than stock. They just sit differently than the stock keepers but I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
been running a set in my car for several years
no issues reving out to 8k

·
Registered
471 Posts
I run PHR springs with stock locks with no problems ~10 years.

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts