Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot's of disappoint/anger seems to be the current theme with this new converter. Without mentioning names, I'm pretty sure that the new converter is failing/messing up Auto tranny's at about a 100% failure rate for anyone actually racing them. Just wanted to hear any thoughts or experience from those with the converter. I'm sure PI will be notified soon enough, and mine is getting sent back tomorrow. No way I'm putting that converter in after what I've seen and heard. It's EATING trannys:(

Just a word of caution... I would not advise purchasing one of these PI 3-disc converters until we get this thing sorted out.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ahhhh Joe, now you tell me!!! Im was having mine exchanged. To be honest, I didn't have any problems with the single plate I had. I never locked mine manually anyway.

I take it your evidence for the convertor being crap is the fact that all the cars from a certain Midwestern tuner had tranny problems this weekend??

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BLK-SP64 said:
Ahhhh Joe, now you tell me!!! Im was having mine exchanged. To be honest, I didn't have any problems with the single plate I had. I never locked mine manually anyway.

I take it your evidence for the convertor being crap is the fact that all the cars from a certain Midwestern tuner had tranny problems this weekend??
Yeah man, got the word out as soon as I could get to a keyboard this morning. Just don't want others to ruin their tranny like some already have.

My evidence actually goes beyond that. SEVERAL cars have all had the exact same symptoms and issues.:mad:

So anyway, mine is sitting on my living room floor still in the box because I was waiting on a tranny from Marko. How do I go about exchanging it for a new single disc? I want a new converter of some type when I install the new tranny.

Update: I talked to Jack @ PI about doing an exchange. Since I am not one of the ones with a broken tranny, from this converter, I was on shaky ground and had to choose my words pretty carefully. However, from speaking with them, my gut tells me PI is NOT going to be easy to deal with on this. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I'm not going to say anything regarding PI till they get back to us on the converters. I went thru 3 transmissions since thursday. One of them had less than 2 miles on it when it let go. I will be very difficult to deal with having just shelled out almost $6000 in tranny's over one weekend without racing the car. Not to mention two 20 hour drives.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marko......How you stay calm is beyond me. Ive had my share of bad luck with the supra; but 3 trannies, $10,000(travel expenses and your time is worth money too)not to mention 2500mile drive all in 1 weekend!!!! Man, I'm getting pissed for you!!

If its the TC for sure, somebody owes you something. I can understand teething pains with the experimental tester, but they are marketing these as ready to roll. Although, I can't imagine how a viscous coupling could break a tranny though, unless they were having catastrophic failure. Sometimes I think, Just fuck this piece of shit Toyota tranny and stupid lock up TC's.

I hope it works out before Florida Marko.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Foe everyone that made the drive and couldn't race, I really feel for you. That sucks!:(

This is going to get very interesting...

·
Registered
174 Posts
You guys might of known by now but I had one of those converters in my car and it did cause it to mess up. But I bet that if you take out that converter and put you old one in and clean the tranny up a little you tranny will work. I am not sure how long but that is what i did and ran a 10.3 @ 136 on Sunday. So just a word of advice if some did not know. Just trying to help you guys out. Marko I really wanted to meet you this weekend but with all the comotion I did not have time to come out Saturday night and did not have time to find you on Sunday. Maybe next time your in town let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just talked to Jack @ PI. He was very patient and curtious given I am sure the number of calls he got in the last two days about these TQ's.

There is still not word on what the problem is. Larry send him one converter this morning I belive and Jack needs to have PI look at it when they get it to figure out what the problem is.

I am sure someone more knowlegable will let us know something soon on this.

Can someone comment on is it possible that the problems we have seen may be related to standing on the brakes for too long and emptying the oil from the converter?

-Kapi 'waiting to install the multidisc'

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kapi said:

Can someone comment on is it possible that the problems we have seen may be related to standing on the brakes for too long and emptying the oil from the converter?

Well all I can say in that regard is this is supposed to be a race prepped converter. I have been standing on my brakes for 9 months now to do burnouts, stage, and stall up my current 1-disc PI converter without issues like these. If this converter is not equipped to handle using the brake to stall up the rpm's for any reasonable period of time, then we need one that is.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kapi said:
I talked to [email protected] today. He said that only the first few TQ's had problems and that the particular multidisk I bought didn't have them.

I am putting it in on Wed. Keeping my fingers crossed.

-Kapi
I would strongly suggest against doing that. There are people who got converters that were not in the first few that still had issues. At this point you're really playing with fire if you still go ahead and install it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Now Im really scared. I have an IS300 with a toyomoto stage 2, [email protected] I have an SRT/PI 3 clutch pate T/C installed. The TC rattles a bit in neutral but hasnt shown any more problems. Its this the same converter as the supra? I havent taken the car to track but have made some big passes in the street. The car has had it installed for about a week. Thanks a lot in advance, I really want to know if I should send it back.

·
Banned
5,064 Posts
That's weird i've never had a problem with my PI Single Disc 3600, i love it.

vnt :D

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have been running the PI 3 disk 4000 stall for almost a year and love it. I have had zero problems. and I drive the car hard......

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
blackbird said:
I have been running the PI 3 disk 4000 stall for almost a year and love it. I have had zero problems. and I drive the car hard......
Blackbird, are you still on the stock trans??? Im worried that my 4K stall (single disc) is going to eat my stocker...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts