Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you running a 5"inlet compressor cover can you tell me if you welded an elbow on or how you did your intercooler piping. If possible please post pics.
thanks

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
just so i know what you are asking, what does the 5" inlet have to do with your hot side IC pipping? i have done a few custom setups but the solution is/can be different for each setup as the manifold, turbo, qsv, if you have one, and other items make it hard to give you a solution.

edit-also, you can pm "ARTBRAN" and ask him for some pics of what we did on his setup. the last one i did was tight as hell and we needed to cut back the compressor outlet as far as we could and still be able to get a vband clamp on. i then had to use a 45, cut off as much as i could on the angle, just to there was enough to get a vband on that as well, then, when the compressor cover was clocked, it ran within 1/4" directly aside of the frame rail and down. ill see if i still have pics of his setup........

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 5" inlet comes out different from a 3" outlet compressor and is a different length and size where the coupler/vband would go. Thats why I specifically asked for that.
Thanks i'll shoot him a pm and hopefully he can post up pics.

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
I cut part of the compressor and part of the elbow to make the angle that I needed....

Here is the elbow on my GT42 which was the same thing.

Just mock it up on the car, its not hard.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kirk, if others have pics to add this would help many who are scared to go with these sized compressor covers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
GT4294 on a Greddy manifold. I had to cut the v-band off and weld an elbow to use a coupler. Even doing it this way the first runner is very close to the compressor housing. I plan to cut and reweld the first runner when I change my setup.

This is the only picture that I have...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry forgot you said greddy manifold. This isnt a greddy
No prob man, just ends up helping somone else. What manifold is that?

GT4294 on a Greddy manifold. I had to cut the v-band off and weld an elbow to use a coupler. Even doing it this way the first runner is very close to the compressor housing. I plan to cut and reweld the first runner when I change my setup.

This is the only picture that I have...
Thanks for the pic. Did you ever consider just running a 1/2" spacer instead of going through all that work. That would make it clear a lot easier.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I thought of using a spacer to raise the turbo, but from eyeballing the position of the turbo, the vband setup still would not have worked. Also, I would have had to modify the downpipe if I had gone with a spacer.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
I have a 5" inlet on my comp turbo, greddy manifold, but im running a QSV so not sure if you wanna see, i can email u pics, whats ur address?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
what kirk did is EXACTLY what we did and what i explained in my post, except that where he welded the 45 elbow onto the compressor outlet, we welded a vband. then, essentially we used the 45 that he welded onto his and welded a vband to that. we had to do that because i didnt have the space between the frame rail and the IC pipping to position the vband there. i thought i had pics of it on my computer but i cannot find them. and the guy whos car it is is on his honeymoon and wont be back for over a week.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am just finishing the exact setup that you are talking about! I will post pictures tomorrow! I cut the v-band off and welded a 90 deg elbow on and am running a 1/2" thick spacer to clear the # 1 runner as well! After that, everything fits nicely!

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
what kirk did is EXACTLY what we did and what i explained in my post, except that where he welded the 45 elbow onto the compressor outlet, we welded a vband. then, essentially we used the 45 that he welded onto his and welded a vband to that. we had to do that because i didnt have the space between the frame rail and the IC pipping to position the vband there. i thought i had pics of it on my computer but i cannot find them. and the guy whos car it is is on his honeymoon and wont be back for over a week.
If its artbran I should have some pictures on my office computer. I rebuilt his turbo not so long ago

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those are some very clear pics neonafk, thanks.
Are you running the stock lower coolant hose?

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
Those are some very clear pics neonafk, thanks.
Are you running the stock lower coolant hose?
Not sure, i'll try to take some more pics next week when I see the car. Where is the lower coolant hose exactly?

1,442 Posts
Not sure, i'll try to take some more pics next week when I see the car. Where is the lower coolant hose exactly?
Lol, you posted a pic of the lower coolant neck. Its right next to the compressor outlet. The hose runs from the neck to the bottom of your rad...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts