Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got another supra, was traded in where I work ended up getting it for 500. Though it has a few problems:

1) When you try to start it it takes a few tries before it goes, usually if you crank stop, crank stop, then on the third time it goes, doesn't matter how long you crank it. Once warmed up it's fine, starts on the first try.

2) Once started when put into gear (auto) there is a loud clacking noise, doesn't change with the rpm and goes away once warmed up, usually 5 minutes. Doesn't make any noise in Park or Nuetral, Just Drive, Reverse, Second and Low.

3) I then drove it from it's parked spot into the shop, not very far, when i got into the shop and popped the hood the Rad Hose (big rubber one at the top) had sucked itself in then after 5 minutes it returned to normal shape, wasn't like this when i started the car, when i started it i popped the hood to look around and let it warm up. Rad overflow was half full although rad is probably low on fluid, also noticed a small crack at the top of the rad.

Definetly another project, not sure what I'm going to do with this car, if nothing I'll just part it out and keep the shell for myself, doesn't have a spec of rust on it.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
it either has a bad hg or a clogged cold start injector. if the injector is clogged, there wont be any fuel enrichment for cold start situations and itll take excessive cranking. OR, there could be slight moisture in the cylinders after sitting. cranking it clears it out and allows it to start. sometimes w/ a slight HG problem, the residual pressure in the coolant system after being ran causes pressurised coolant to back feed into the cylinders thru the head gasket leak. it is possible that the leaky head gasket also allows cylinder vaccum to pull vaccum all the way into the coolant system which might explain the collapsing of the rad hose.

i dont know much about the autos, so i cnat imagine what the noise is coming from unless its the front fluid pump and somethings broke on it which is not apparant when there is no load on it... but when its in gear, there is a fluid load on the pump making the damage apparant. thats my best guess..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
flubyux2 said:
unless its the front fluid pump and somethings broke on it which is not apparant when there is no load on it... but when its in gear, there is a fluid load on the pump making the damage apparant.
It goes away after letting it warm up, would this still be the case, how would I test something like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts