Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Monday I am picking up a TT supra in San Antonio Texas and driving it back here to Oregon. Its a black supra with 57k original miles and the paint is in perfect condition.

What kind of tape should I purchase to tape up the exterior so I dont get tons of chips and scratches in the paint? Also where should I tape? The seller has the factory bra for it and I was thinking about putting that on, is it better to have that on or should I just tape the front. I know from experience the bra doesnt do that good of job.

Let me know what I should do? Thanks!

-Brian

·
stop playin wit mah name
1,930 Posts
Blue painter's tape. Leave the factory bra on and tape up the whole hood, and fenders.

·
Banned
250 Posts
blue painter tape.
tape up the whole front end, side mirrors and top of the targa top.
i would rather use the factory bra than use blue tape
after a while the blue tape will start to come off when your driving

·
Registered
437 Posts
Front End (Hood, bumper, fenders). Mirrors, behind every wheel. Make sure the tape goes the long way with the car. I'd bottom of the rear bumper just to be sure.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
Why dont you transporter it?
I bought a '98 Supra TT 6 spd in Cali and ship it to Houston for $750.

·
JZA80
3,114 Posts

·
Wingless by Choice
1,495 Posts
OP,

I'm a little anal when it comes to my paint. 4 rolls of 3" wide painters tape. And a good 2 hours to do it.

This was a trip from Utah to vegas

It's worth doing as you can see in this pic, my paint still looks like new.

·
Wingless by Choice
1,495 Posts
Lol, well I spent tons of money on my paint job, people might call me stupid or weird for taking an extra hour taping up my car but I think it's deffenatly worth it. Cheap insurance if you ask me. Next year going to SILV it will be put in a trailer and hauled down there :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I know it's a low mileage car but that's a lot of trust in a used vehicle for such a long trip, not to mention the "asshole factor" of all the other drivers on the road. Ship it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had thought about shipping it, but heres the thing. I get a sense of joy driving cross country in a car that loves to be driven. I really don't mind the miles as honestly we don't buy these cars to put them in the garage and put them in a glass case. No doubt I would ship a supra with say in the 30k and under mileage up really it doesnt hurt them to go cross country. With taping them up properly and staying on the interstates I am sure the car will do fine.

Thanks all for the info, I know what to get now at the hardware store and where to tape it up. Honestly I am excited for the road trip. Thats half the fun of buying a car cross country, you get to get out of your daily grind.

·
MVP performance
895 Posts
Brian go for it, our cars are built to be driven. A few years back i drove my supra on a road trip from south florida to canada and back, and loved it.
I drive my supra almost every day.

Viking.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Oh-My-God!!
You americans are weird some times :)
The car is ment for driving and when you start to notice chips you get the front painted again. I understand the soft spot you have for a newly painted car. I just got my front painted. Thats a small investment compared to all the $$$ we put into the car anyway. Unless its a showcar or you're driving gravel rally stages it'll be many years untll a touchup is needed.
I've been doing runs through Germany (going twice to the Nürburgring this year) more times than I can count and the yearly detailing session still makes the paint look like new.

I mean nothing negative, I'm just baffled about the idea of using an ugly bra on a car. A bra is only ment for one thing, the bin ;)

(Am I missing something, since it's only in the US this is a matter? I havent noticed more crap on the roads in the US compared to anywhere else)

·
Eye Kandy For Enthusiasts
1,091 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt even know you sold your white one, that was a clean car, like all your others. So are you in a race with ryan woon for the most MKIV supras owned.

·
Lexotic Garage
1,470 Posts
I dont ever tape up my car... it just looks hideous on the highway. and when other folks see a supra cruising past them, it takes away from the initial awe factor, when they see that blue tape like some prototype vehicle got away from the R&D plant. I mean really, when is the last time you saw a Porsche or something with blue tape on the nose? :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts