Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two of the stock near-full size temporary spares lying around (one from my car, one from my old parts car) and I really wanted to use the wheels for other tires. But it would have been a shame to let two full-tread tires go to waste. Plus they were like 18 years old -- they were so hard I thought they might last 1/2 the day in the wet. So this parking-lot event was the perfect venue to put them to rest. After running a few laps, it became apparent that they just plain sucked, so I headed over to the skidpad and proceeded to do about 30 large circles until they blew:

Aftermath:

When changing tires, I usually leave the car in neutral (idling down) and the ebrake off (heard horror stories of people putting the ebrake on with hot brakes and having it freeze). Now normally loosening lugnuts isn't a problem if one of the rear tires is still on the ground. However upon trying to loosen the driver's rear lugnuts, I found the wheel was spinning in the air -- despite the right-rear being on the ground. That was the first sign my LSD had about had the weenie. This was the 2nd:

On right-hand turns, the car now acts like it has an open diff and understeers:

Left hand turns are perfectly OK... (And yes, the license plate lost a bolt. Stockton has a "slightly bumpy" section)

This was a long straight (for a parking lot event) before a fast sweeper.

MK3's don't need as much room as AE86's to get up to speed, so I found myself sliding into the corner farther and farther from the grip entry point:

This is the same corner, just a little later in the slide. It doesn't look like it, but the car is actually in sort of a stall -- all four wheels are sliding with the passenger-side of the car actually the "front."

The first time I completed this turn, I got back to the grid and my hands were shaking. 70mph looking 100% out your passenger window is exhilerating.

Anyway, I had a blast until my turbo started smoking at idle in the grid (I knew it was on its way out going into the event, just hoped it would last for a few more). Happy with my current power at 8psi, I'll probably just have my spare ct26 rebuilt without upgrading in the hopes it'll hold together.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The rest of the supra's pictures:

ok yes, this was just after I had spun out. Bad tires, bad! (the spin was their fault you see, I was just punishing them)

Other pics:

Stockton's Finest making sure this wasn't a "sideshow:"

One of 3 other non cookie-cutter drift cars (240/AE86):

One other:

The other:

^that guy was extremely talented. It's a very hard car to drift (I've got a 91NA) and he made it look so easy.

One of the better drivers hamming it up for the camera:

Cones > Zip ties

This guy is really cool and helpful. He also welds open diff's on the side (with a lifetime gaurantee!) for $75 a pop. Look for him at Formula D events

Good example of looking "where you want to go":

Creativity with the run group letters:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great pics, do you think they will hold it again at stockton cause of they do I'm more than down. I need more practice.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ickubus said:
Great pics, do you think they will hold it again at stockton cause of they do I'm more than down. I need more practice.

Thanks guys. Yes they will be holding monthly events in stockton -- just go to private-events.net That event was a test event for ~15 or so people to get a feel for course layout in a parkinglot (Private events is more known for their excellent track days). These will be, hands down, the best events to attend in norcal. Next one is May 1st.

NCDA (www.ncda.net) is also putting on bi-weekly events at Altamont. And I believe there is also a Drift Day coming up very soon in the bay area. It's a great time to be in Norcal (right when I move to Portland ;))

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I was planning on attending this event in my silver '87. Ill most likely see you on the 1st of next month! Sweet pics, and looks like u had a good time.

~scott

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got HKS coilovers, but I swapped those progressive springs out for some JIC linear ones (18kg/mm front, 10kg/mm rear spring rates). I also have modified the rear sway bar to make it stiffer, and have a strut tower bar and MDC harness bar.

I just can't wait to hit up the next event. This is definitely an addiction now ;)

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
I've got HKS coilovers, but I swapped those progressive springs out for some JIC linear ones (18kg/mm front, 10kg/mm rear spring rates). I also have modified the rear sway bar to make it stiffer, and have a strut tower bar and MDC harness bar.

I just can't wait to hit up the next event. This is definitely an addiction now ;)
Wow thats a killer setup i wish i have enough money for the HKS coil overs
**Does ur car still have the understeer problems? what kind of tires u use? those info will be helpful thanks

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SRA-Mk4: www.private-events.net has a gallery with most of the pictures. Mophos.net also had a good list too.

I wouldn't recomend HKS coilovers for serious performance use. They were super, super comfortable though, and they did handle better than stock. Silkroad and Tein SS both look like great bang/buck coilovers, with JIC FLT-A2's getting the ~$1600 bid if you were inclined to spend that much

As for balance, I have the dampers set to give just slight understeer (with the same tires all/around) as it's much more comfortable on back roads. Getting the back end out is as simple as being "rough" on corner entries (feint, trail braking etc) should I be so inclined, (or for drift days swapping on crummy tires in the back)

As for tires, I worked at a tire shop last summer and collected almost 100 good used tires (http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2131719096) so I switch models frequently. Generally I had michelin Pilot Sports or bridgestone Potenza S02/S03's on the front, and things like khumo supras, Federal 595s's on the rear. Basically nice tires front, mediocre ones in the back. However recently I've been using good tires all around, and the difference in control is amazing (although drifts are harder to initiate). The downside is that it gets expensive way too quickly

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
props for getting out there and getting it done..

there are too many wannabe MK3 drifters who think that losing traction around a corner is drifiting...

keep doing events like that and you might interest 935 in some sponsorship

oh and fix your plate :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was the license plate part of the aftermath, too :) I know that guy with the cone in the bumper was pissed off after that. Looked like a good time!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts