Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a new exhaust fabricated for the car and I can't decide between 4in or 5in. Iv seen pics of 4in straight piped cars but can't find many pics of the 5in. Does anyone have any rear shots of their car with a 5in?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly just exploring my options. I wouldn't mind having something a little different. I know there is no need funtionality wise especially at my power level but I have seen it done and from what I could tell it looked pretty good. I've never seen a good picture with a 5in so that's why I'm asking before I order the material. I'd imagine it would be slightly deeper in sound as well.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
4" is loud and obnoxious...
5" is overkill with no or little improvement over the cost...

Many people now are doing 4" from Turbo thru the downpipe and terminated at the end of mid-pipe. Then going to a 3.5-3.875" cat back (HKS super dragger, Tanabe medailion, Fujisuturbo, etc.) with sufficient mufflers to quiet the car down. My BL 4" with my stroker and 4" DP/MP sounded awesome but was more annoying during commutes and waking the entire neighborhood up. Not to mention the attention it attracted during part throttle operation.

Good luck talking to someone next to you if you have cams, added displacement + compression with 4" or larger turbo back exhaust connected to a straight thru race muffler.

DP

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I run a 4in now all the way to a burns stainless "muffler". It is loud, sounds amazing, but gets tiring after a while with driving. Is it funny, or cool when I get a text or call from someone a mile away saying they could hear me? Sure, but its more trouble than its worth honestly. 3in is capable of 1k+ so I would say try and go that direction. BUT, it is your car, find a supra with 4in is easy, 5in....not so much haha

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
I had 5 straight on the car from previous owner, stick with 4.. I might have hks ti for sale soon fyi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The car has a Tanabe racing medallion exhaust on it now. This exhaust even with the silencer out just muffles to much of that raw 2j sound. Don't get me wrong it sounds great it's just a different tone. I'm making a flange so I can change out the rear section when I want to. So it's not a permenet straight pipe which will be nice.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I replaced the titanium muffler section on my HKS ti with a 4" straight pipe and it sounds louder with more popping. Slips on with springs for easy swapping back to the muffler piece.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The car has a Tanabe racing medallion exhaust on it now. This exhaust even with the silencer out just muffles to much of that raw 2j sound. Don't get me wrong it sounds great it's just a different tone. I'm making a flange so I can change out the rear section when I want to. So it's not a permenet straight pipe which will be nice.
Well that is one of the absolute quietest exhausts you can get on the supra.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,109 Posts
Well that is one of the absolute quietest exhausts you can get on the supra.
I don't think he's talking about the tanabe touring medallion, the tanabe racing medallion was an older, stubby tipped, round canister muffler that was quite loud, very straight, and has been discontinued for awhile.

Edit, just read it again...maybe he has the older tanabe g-power medallion that was quiet w/an oval canister and had a rolled tip that looked almost stock.

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
I have pics of min up in previous post ill se if i can find it just put a full size magnaflow stainless muffler in the cat location you wont drone on highway and wont loose power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts