Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..

So I purchased a FMIC off e-bay, 32x12x3 from end tank to end tank and it fits beautifully, however; there is one problem.

It doesn't come with any type of brackets and I really have no fab skills at all...

I just can't figure out how to mount this MOFO so that it doesn't move around when i'm driving...

*****THIS LINK IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT******

*****THIS IS JUST THE ITEM I PURCHASED*******
(external link to e-bay FMIC I purchased)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8057779408&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

If you guys can look @ that and tell me if any of you have bought a comparable FMIC which has about the same mounting situation?

Really, I just need some sort of idea to go ahead with... For the last 2 days I have sat there staring at the big ass hole where my FMIC should go :(

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
just get some metal/alum. strips and bend them and drill holes and find the right sized bolt that will fit and there ya go.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

That's a pretty tight fit... Hopefully I can pull that off.

I think I can definately do that for the bottom... But I may have to drill holes in the lower rad support...

Doh.. I think I may have dug myself too deep of a hole..

fuck.

·
MK3 Owner For Life
1,822 Posts
You think thats a tight fit, I have the same I/C but with a 4" core. You wont need to drill any holes in the radiator support because there are already threaded holes you can use. Just make two long rectangle brackets with holes on each end to mount the bottem of the I/C. top I would just weld a tab and mount it to the hood latch support.

I would take a picture of mine but i dont wanna take off my bottem engine cover, haha =)

Disced said:
Thanks.

That's a pretty tight fit... Hopefully I can pull that off.

I think I can definately do that for the bottom... But I may have to drill holes in the lower rad support...

Doh.. I think I may have dug myself too deep of a hole..

fuck.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
BTZ said:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/btzturbo/intercooler_piping_brent2.jpg[/IG]

can you see the two tabs on the bottom of the intercooler bolted to anothor two tabs welded to the lower rad support. It is also bolted on the top middle just below the hood latch. custom BIC work.[/QUOTE]what are the dimensions of your IC?

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
BTZ said:
can you see the two tabs on the bottom of the intercooler bolted to anothor two tabs welded to the lower rad support. It is also bolted on the top middle just below the hood latch. custom BIC work.
geez, and ithought the 7m had lag before......

um just a thought, why dont yall who get ebay intercoolers just get the ones with the in and outlet on one side?

<l><l>

·
Registered
375 Posts
yea but the intercooler is way cheaper then buying a ffim later though? idk

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Here's a bottom-up view of the brackets I made for mine, out of mild steel flat-bar from Home Depot.

It's the 4" thick one... basically had to bend the bar the way I wanted and drill the holes for the bolts to go into the lower radiator support and the IC (pre-existing, threaded holes). Made similar brackets at the top.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
808mkiiisupra said:
yea but the intercooler is way cheaper then buying a ffim later though? idk
not for me....

2jz mani with EVERYTHING left on it cost me $115 shipped on ebay, sold the injectors and the rail for $100, and I am fabbing my own flanges...~50 bucks. so no, the intercooler isn't way cheaper (for me anyway :) )

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Did you copy this off me? I have the exact same setup, awesome!

Basically, I drilled into the rad support region, bolted in the IC at the bottom (it had two welded pieces coming off of it) and then used an l-bracket to mount to the old hood latch support area. I custom made a different hood latch support.

BTZ said:

can you see the two tabs on the bottom of the intercooler bolted to anothor two tabs welded to the lower rad support. It is also bolted on the top middle just below the hood latch. custom BIC work.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okok.

I got mine mounted up, atleast for the top.

Here's the link and a pic from the front.

Here are some pictures of the FMIC top mounted, I have yet to make the bottom brackets but it's in there VERY tight.

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=44323999/a=54326203/t_=54326203

They are very dark pictures... As I just got done making the brackets, finding the correct bolts, and fitting them up.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
snake eyes said:
geez, and ithought the 7m had lag before......

um just a thought, why dont yall who get ebay intercoolers just get the ones with the in and outlet on one side?

<l><l>

I have a FFIM (front face intake manifold) which is being installed @ the same time.

I wouldn't have gone FMIC without having the FFIM first.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
^^exactly, why have one without the other. i dunno i dont want to have to add more pipe than id have to

<l><l>

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very informative link, and walk through.

However, I got my IC for much cheaper than that; and it's bigger and mine is mounted much higher than his.

Helpful for people who aren't creative installers; but my superior skills of fabbing stuff up out of my ass has worked once again.

Now if I could just get ahold of Seth to figure out how this damn throttle linkage works!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts