Supra Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
BTW my 1J has no PS cooler.

It has been running for 1.5 years this way. The fluid DOES get very hot (that you can't touch it). A PS cooler would be a very good idea, but if you want to get it up and running without one you are fine.

Extreme driving, canyon carving, etc does REQUIRE a cooler to prevent boiling. I drive like a sissy so nothing to worry about.

ahhh i see now, i just don't know if i still have that sensor......... so can i just cap that off or what? do i need that or is it just a plug.....

Discussion starter · #23 ·
What if I just use the stock cooling route (the one that goes to the front of the car then?)

I'll just use a rubber hose for the return that follows the same path of as the return to put it back to the resivoir.

In your opinion say I was doing some autox do you think my ps would fry form not having the cooler?

Eric, I will have the pics up today...it is very easy...like I said before, I just used the hardlines that run parallel to the front of the car for my hydro cooler and i am not running a PS cooler. Again, I will take the best pics i can. If you want, you can call me too @ 402.964.2432

Trev

e-dawg, if you have the stock jza70 ps cooler that runs from the passengerside to the driver side, i HIGHLY recommend using that and the soft line that is on the end of it. it runs right up the driverside frame rail and is poised to return to the resivoir.

i ditched the stock PS cooler and ended up using the old 7M engine oil cooler as the PS cooler. i had to make a custom bracket and bend the lines alittle to get it all to line up. it fits perfect, just like if toyota had sold the car that way. hwoever, the 7M oil cooler is so small and low capacity, the PS pressure is backed up to the point where the power assist is minimal at best.

Jewishjalopi said:
heres a picture of what goes there. You should still have it from your original ps setup. you dont need any caps or vac lines on it, just leave it alone.

do i need this sensor or whatever it is connected to the ps line, or can i just find a bolt and cap it off? and if i need it does anyone have and extra laying around or can i find it at a local parts store.

i think you can use the same one from the 7M ps pump, and 2jzgte cars. its the PS idle up air bypass solenoid.

it bumps the idle when you turn the steering wheel or hit full lock to prevent the car from bogging and stalling. you dont NEED it, but youll wanna bump the base idle so it doesnt give you shats.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Hey flux,

Ok I don't have a clip so I don't have the JZ PS cooler... I was thinking of using my spare OIL cooler as my PS cooler, what do you think? Also if not I was going to use the stock 7m lines that go to the front of the car is that what you are saying has poor flow? Beucase it just like a pipe with a bend in it at the front of the car.

hey e-dawg... i gotcha. i would recommend against using the stock 7M engine oil cooler as the 1jz PS oil cooler. its too small and doesnt flow well enough. i used it on the 1jz swap i did for psifactor and the steering requires high effort, contrary to what a stock supra Power assist should be. i was planning on changing it to a larger aftermarket stacked plate cooler but never got around to it.

i honestly should have reused the original stock 1jz ps cooler for simplicity's sake. however, w/ the huge intercooler i had planned, it would require relocation anyways. so i decided to save myself the hassle and relocate it initially.

you could use the stock 7M power steering cooler lines that are already in the car. however, you need to figure out a way to run another "row" back across the nose of the car so the PS cooler returns back to the driverside, rather than the stock 7M return on the passengerside. i hope that makes sense to you. you could probably make something out of a second 7M ps cooler, a short secton of rubber hose and a few clamps. youd basically be able to connect a 3rd row to the original 7M ps cooler and have it run back over to the driverside and then hook it into the JZA70 ps resivoir.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
well I was just going to run a rubber line form the return of the 7m cooler back arcoss the car and just ziptie it on something and then send it to the PS resivior.

I wasn't planning the stock 7m oil cooler but actually another one that I have laying around...

Last question... Anyone ever use a oil cooler on the 7m or is the water cooling more then plenty?

thats kind of what you would need to do, in one form or another. but rather than having the rubber hose draped across the core support or the bottom of the radiator or some place exposed, id try to run it parallel to the stock ps cooler in the bumper. itd be incognegro and you could probably zip tie the rubber hose to the stock cooler.

i havent used a 7M oil cooler on the 1jz. the water/oil cooler is pretty damn good. if i had it my way, id probably just eliminate the whole damn thing and run a 7MGE-style filter mount, a relocation kit and plumb in an FC oil cooler like i have planned for the 7M car. itd simplify everythng in the engine bay and make it roomier under the intake manifold. then, if this could be done, the stock 7M AC lines and AC recieiver plate for the compressor could be used on the 1JZ compressor body with no modifications requred to fit the lines. however, the rear ac line fitment interferes w/ the stock oil filter mount.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
yeah I already swaped the top plates.. I'll just grined it down to fit... sounds good maybe I'll actually have ac again!! WOOT WOOT

shit, i posted up a big writeup on the differences on the 1j and 7m ac systems and what i had to to do make the 7m ac thing fit on the 1j compressor and what needed modified. i thought i put them in the 1jz sticky. i probably posted it on the old SM too... i have no idea where its at and i dont have access to those pics atm either.

when you put the 7M plate on the 1j ac, youll see that it hits the stud, so you have to modify the 7M plate.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
yeah i heard so I'll just grind down what I need to do.. I'm not too worried about AC now because i have to repalce the filter and all the seals and stuf.. so I'll get to that later what I really want is a running car first... and to deal with the wiring harness... SOMEONE help in my other thread..

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.