Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
A classic.. and i mean dead nuts on classic example of the term 'shot peening' being thrown around. These rods appear to have been cleaned with glass shot. AKA shot peened.

When you ask for shot peening, you need to clarify that its a stress relieving process that you're getting. Not merely being cleaned with glass shot.

·
Certified Supra Nut :P
2,001 Posts
dude, those rods don't look anealed. The numbers are still clear as day on them. Blasting them with some good heavy shot usualy squishes them down pretty good.

I can't imagin any decent shop passing off glass beading a part as shot peaning them. That's some bullshit. If you ever finda shop that did that, I'd make sure no one I know ever went there.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sammydafish said:
dude, those rods don't look anealed. The numbers are still clear as day on them. Blasting them with some good heavy shot usualy squishes them down pretty good.

I can't imagin any decent shop passing off glass beading a part as shot peaning them. That's some bullshit. If you ever finda shop that did that, I'd make sure no one I know ever went there.

?????
I didn't ask for the rods to be annealed...

in addition, the rods were shot peened....not cleaned with glass balls....they used a little gun shooting high speed metal balls...

Y

·
0 Posts
is 90 bucks the going rate to get your rods reconditioned, shot peaned and all that?

W

·
0 Posts
sammydafish said:

$90.... you pay for what you get

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a set of brand new Toyota pistons...hope they do me well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
a rod recondition cost me about 50$ around here and there is quite a few places that do shot peening for 20$ a set so its not to far off..

looks good ceramic coat those pistons =)

Bill

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
MotoFool said:
a rod recondition cost me about 50$ around here and there is quite a few places that do shot peening for 20$ a set so its not to far off..

looks good ceramic coat those pistons =)

Bill
W3rd, call SwainTech coatings!

whats the general consensus on HP capacity of stock rods and how much an increase the shot peening process can allow?

btw, i thought the rods were good for big power but the stock Pistons were the weak link... other than the rod bearings. what the dilly?

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,908 Posts
You guys have no knowledge of what you are saying. Price has nothing to do with the quality of work, The guy that did those rods is reputable and builds supra engines all the time. He knows all the weak parts of the engine. He builds and races 9.0 second chevys here on long island. Price is relative to what you are willing to pay and what someone is willing to sell for, and quality doesnt always coincide with price.:rolleyes: :cool:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Couldn't have said it better myself....QWIKSTRIKE is the one who introduced me to the guy that did the work, and they definitely knows what they are talking about (both QWIKSTRIKE and the shop). I was happy with the work. It seems that some people aren't content with work unless they know they payed a boatload of money for something.

As far as work done:
All the rod work: $90
Installation of brand new Toyota pistons, I supplied bushings and all parts: $90
Balanced bottom end, crank, pistons, rings, crankshaft pulley, flywheel: $300
Acid tank oil pan: free
polish crank journals: free

QWIKSTRIKE said:
You guys have no knowledge of what you are saying. Price has nothing to do with the quality of work, The guy that did those rods is reputable and builds supra engines all the time. He knows all the weak parts of the engine. He builds and races 9.0 second chevys here on long island. Price is relative to what you are willing to pay and what someone is ailling to sell for, and quality doesnt always coincide with price.:rolleyes: :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
91T4 said:
It seems that some people aren't content with work unless they know they payed a boatload of money for something.
welcome to Supraforums very own MKIII crowd. alot of people (not everybody) tend to think the more money you throw at your car the faster it will go. congrats on attempting a proper bottom end build up. i hope it last you a long time. keep us updated good or bad. some people do appreciate guys like you building up stuff and test it out.

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
So tell me what you look for to tell if a rod has been cleaned with glass shot or has actually been stress relieved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts