Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the pilot bearing w/out using the SST?
Also, I'm installing a SB clutch and was wondering what the other bearing-type thing is that came in the box. It came w/ a new TO and pilot bearing, but I'm not sure what the other thing is.
Thanks.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Without a puller it can be tricky. If you can´t get it out with kind of a hook you will most likely need to "destroy" it by using a hammer and some screwdriver to trash it or cut into half. Just don´t hammer or scratch the crank too much;)

·
Original owner, March '94
224 Posts
Here's a trick to getting the bearing out. Fill the area behind it with grease. Take a bolt that will fit in the pilot bearing hole and tap it with a hammer. As the bearing moves out fill with more grease. Keep repeating till the bearing comes out.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Here's a trick to getting the bearing out. Fill the area behind it with grease. Take a bolt that will fit in the pilot bearing hole and tap it with a hammer. As the bearing moves out fill with more grease. Keep repeating till the bearing comes out.
AGREED, My dad taught me that one a few years back. At first I thaught no way will this work. But it poped out after a few mins of filling the whole. It is pretty much like a hydrolic press when done. I always use a socket with some electrical tape on the backside to cover the hole for the rachet. And wrap the socket tightly with tape so it bairly fits into the hole, once the hole is filled with grease you insert your socket ( or bolt) and give it a little tap. Pull the socket out and fill the hole some more and repeat the process. Very easy.

Lawrence

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
its true, just find something that fits tight in the hole and filler up with grease and hammer away (gently)

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
I have modified a dent removel slid hammer to work. You can rent the puller for free at most parts stores. Use above method if after hours.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'm going to hit the local auto parts store and see if I can rent a puller. If not I'll give the grease a try. BTW, I think I saw a small hole in the crank through the pilot bearing. Does that need to be covered or is it ok to let the grease go up there?
Thanks again.

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
You can rent the puller from Autozone.

Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pilot bearing OTC 4420 available in 2020 works perfectly. It comes with 2 sets of jaws, and I removed the jaw set that was installed with it and put in the smaller secondary set and pulled mine with two easy pulls on the slide hammer yesterday. Once you insert the end of the tool into the pilot bearing you need to thread the shaft deeper into the end of the tool so it expands the jaws and then let her rip. Tried the bread thing one time on an FD RX7 and all I did was waste some bread.

·
From the land down under
4,388 Posts
I think you just won the award for oldest bump...Ive seen a few 5 to 10 year bumps, but 13 deserves some kind of prize 👋

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,332 Posts
Yes nice bump from past.

Pilot bearing tool? What’s this?

All you need is;
1.) 3/4 of one piece of bread
2.) An object that will fit through pilot bearing hole
3.) Rubber mallet to tap said object

Poof pilot bearing is pushed out.

Never had this lunch trick not work. 🥪

·
Blue Thunder
3,591 Posts
SMH...what a bump ! LOL

Bread FTW.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lol. I tried it once and didn’t work for me. Was just trying to name the specific tool that fits since 3 out of 4 of mine didn’t fit.

·
Super Moderator
10,374 Posts
I think you just won the award for oldest bump...Ive seen a few 5 to 10 year bumps, but 13 deserves some kind of prize 👋
He did 16 years in another section, bumping the same shit for a part number. Smells like spam, likely is spam. I've warned him accordingly.

Reactions: Mr Ree NZ

·
Super Moderator
10,374 Posts
I spoke to him directly, and surprisingly, his interest was solely in updating each relevant thread with useful info, and because he was using Google instead of the Forum search function, he did not realize the threads were so old. We got that issue cleared up, and I'm looking forward to him contributing meaningfully elsewhere on SF going forward.

I'm bumping this particular thread so everyone sees this, it was a very unusual situation and I'd rather be public about clearing this up since he genuinely was meaning to help folks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.