Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for street use, not track, but I'm posting here hoping to get answers. I don't really drive so many miles that I'm worried about tread life and rarely is wet traction an issue for me; I've used V700's and Victoracers on the street and like the traction; these Corsas seem like they might be better suited to street use.

And I have searched and actually found quite a few mentions of the Corsa tires here but nothing that would make me not ask my questions.

The 295/30ZR18 in the "Porsche N6 OE" version which they say is used on the Carrera GT is available at a decent price in stock. Anybody know how these compare to the normal Corsa competition tire? I looked at a few other sites and see that the tread pattern on the N6 version has circumferential grooves that the "normal" Corsa tire does not. Also, since the N6 version is not available in my front size 265/35, how would it be to mix the N6 with normal Corsa on front?

I was just about to go for four "normal" Corsas but to get them from "in stock", I'd go with 285/30R 265/35F.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
265 Posts
See if there's a difference in the UTQG from the N6 to the regular model. I believe there was a porsche specific S02 back in the day too, with a softer compound lower UTQG. If you lived with Victoracer or V70a's on the street you'll be fine with the Corsa. They seem to be more of a drive to event type track tire like the Dunlop Super Sports. My friend was running the Corsa on his GT3, probably 10 track days and occasional street use and they had quite a bit of tread still left. I don't have personal experience with them though. I'd suggest checking other make forums like rennlist or something.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i personally would run the toyo ra1's ,i have run them on the sreet and they heat cycle really alot better than the victorracers in my opinion . not sure about the corsas, cant go wrong with the ra1"s

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish ...I would already have the RA1's but they just don't come in the right sizes. With the +45 offset of my wheels (not getting other wheels for the forseeable future), I can't fit the 305 on the back, nor can I fit the 275 in front and there's no other choices in the range as far as I know. Therein lies my dilemna and why I started looking at other R rubbers.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
You should be fine with the Corsa's on the street. Just make sure the tires have plenty of grooves (since the tire has more tread than grooves) so your local police department doesn't cite you for improper equipment (having less than 1/8" tread).

Regards,
James R

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for input folks. I'll try a set and see how they work out.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If your referring to the "R compound " ...? They do need heat cycling , but once warmed up your car can really shine !!! I have ran a set for about 4 months now , they will get harder and harder as time goes on ...but No problem whatsoever at this point and wear is very minimal .

John

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, John. What you said is about what I'm expecting using R rubber on the street. Mine arrived so I'll have them mounted this week after I get a couple rash marks polished out of my wheels.

I just came back from a track day at Pocono this afternoon. Man, I love how stiff the Victoracer tire carcass feels, such nice steering response. A guy in a Cartech 600+hp ZO6 was running Kumho V710's and was saying how great they feel and wear better than Hoosiers. I might try those for my next set of track tires.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Say Nick -
I have a slightly worn set of MX's you might like! ;)
Actually, I got to put my Victoracers on for a while at TX2K5 - whew! That was fun!
Of course, the car ran like crap, but when I got it rolling in the corners, those things stuck ! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Lar. Watch it, those Victoracers can be addictive. First set I used a few years ago I never took off after the track day since they felt so great. And not just traction, which of course is awesome, but I also love the stiff tire carcass and how responsive the car feels with them. I know it's all relative, so a Porsche might feel an order of magnitude better in steering, but this is all I know for now ;)

I just went to another DE day at Pocono this past Friday. I'm about 95mi from the track and always drive up on my Victoracers since I don't have a way to trailer my Supra and usually nobody around here goes who might carry my tires. Anyway, it reminded me how much I like the feel. I'm getting better at the track too ...had a great day.

As a consolation prize, just as I left the track on a back road toward the highway I saw a road kill in the middle of the road ...not a dead skunk... a beautiful red fox. I pulled over and yanked the tail off and took it home. I hung it in my yard high enough and in a manner that no animal could reach it, so far so good. It still has too much meat and stinks to high heaven but it'll dry soon and I'll trim it and maybe I'll hang it on my Supra antenae ;)

I'll have the Corsa's mounted on my blingy 18" wheels this week so I'll post my impressions as they develop.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So Nick how do you like the Pirelli Corsas?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry if I'm being a blabber mouth, but I can't just say yes or no to almost anything.

So far I really REALLY like them for the street which is what I got them for, the best "street tire" I've ever used. I do not plan to use them on the track and I don't think I'd like them as much at track days as the Victoracer, even though they are almost comparably as sticky, maybe a tad less, they are not nearly as stiff a tire body as the Victoracer and I really like stiffness on the track. I have also run Kumho Victoracers on the street and while traction is great when still not overly heat cycled and I love how stiff the Victoracer sidewall is, but the Victoracer is barely suitable for street use and after they wear a bit definitiely not rain friendly; I've also run Kumho Escta V700's and those were OK but not as stiff sidewall as the Victoracer and I like the Corsa much better than the V700. I'm running the Corsas unshaved of course, and I think they have relatively a lot of meat ...rubber tread depth which makes them a quite comfortable ride, almost cushioned feeling on the street, I have the Tein HA's and these make the ride more "plush" than what I remember of the last tire I had, the V700; I think the sidewall of the Corsa feels a lot more flexible which seems like a good thing on the street. The traction with the Corsas so far in both dry and wet is very good and they seem to be wearing pretty good, but I don't have much milage on them yet. I think they look very interesting too with the unique tread pattern and I like how rounded the tire shoulders are; a couple hot bikers already stopped to tell me they also run Corsas; it was a funny testament to the Supra reputation that when I asked if he wanted to take a run up I-95 a guy on his Ducati 9??? (whatever they are) said no, he doesn't run Supras :) I don't think he knew that a BPU would not be nearly as much competition as a single.

After my last Pocono DE event a couple weeks ago, I had to leave early due to cording my front Victoracers so I went home with half a tank of 105 unleaded race gas and a 5gal can of 112 which I put in after getting home just so it doesn't go bad in the can ;) Last week I went cruisin around with the boost controller cranked up and I hitting into the low 20psi range and these tires just really stick. I tried some launches and that went well too. A pleasant, funny aside relating to boost and traction ...last week I encountered an orange Roadrunner coming onto Rt3 as I was getting on it a little during my cruise and noticed him sitting at a light, I slowed down to see which way he was turning and he turned my way, I dropped into the right lane and drove under 25mph waiting until I finally heard a very loud engine/exhaust as he was still well over 50ft behind me and coming up fast; I dropped into second and started brake boosting so when he came next to me I looked over and a youngish kid about 20 or so has kind of a smirk on his face and the older guy is driving, I hear him hammer it and I instantly let it fly and within a couple seconds had him by a couple car lengths, then I slowed down with traffic building ahead and I kept taunting him hitting the gas but they both looked very surprised, I gave them a thumbs up anyway since I have a soft spot for old Roadrunners, but they pulled into the median and did a u-turn right at K&G Speed Shop, I remember it must have been Sunday since the shop was closed. He had very large tires on back and big loud dual exhausts, I don't know what else. But the moral of my story is, the traction is very good.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks for a great write up. I do see that you surely love the Victoracers since you mention them everytime in your tire recommendation posts :). I too am just looking for a street tire. So I was interested in the Corsas. I want great street dry traction that's all I care about. DRs are too scary on the street.
Currently I'm using 295/35/18 in Kumho MXs, they're just ok. As soon as boost hits in 1st and 2nd they're toast. Especially if it's colder then they are toast in 3rd as well.
I believe you don't have any experience with the Corsas in cold temps? Also I don't know if you can answer this but would these tires get flat spots if parked for a couple weeks at a time in the winter? Are you supposed to take them off in the winter?
Thanks

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do like the Victoracers but since I corded my front inside edges at the last Pocono thing, I'm going to try the V710's this time around. They are supposedly somewhat better traction but less tread life. I also think DR's are just not for me, sure they're great in a straight line but I need more than that too often.

I had limited experience with the MX's on my one set of stock wheels which I sold when I got 18's for the street. I thought they were pretty good too, but had about the same experience with traction as you. Lar VickSupra here got them from me and even used them on the track, not bad for a street tire but no comparison to any R compound.

Like you said, I have no idea how the Corsa's will be in winter. I expect them to be fine since I'm pretty sure the same tire body is used on the special versions of the Corsa that come on some Maserati MC12's, Carrera GT's, Enzo's and that would not be acceptable for a high perf street tire. Flat spotting in my mind is more related to the tire body construction than the tread. These "special" Corsas have different tread pattern and harder rubber than the "normal" R compound Corsas I have but they are also available from tirerack if you prefer those.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
So what kind of Corsas do you have? Are they not the same "R" compound ones seen ...
Tirerack link

Where did you buy yours from and how much did you pay?
I was looking at tirerack since they were selling them rather cheap.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
here is some different advice.

you will only get the use of the extra grip in the corsa's when they get up to temp. And unless you drive like a fool on the street, you will never get them hot enough to take advantage of the extra grip.

I am willing to put money on the fact that cold, the BFG KD would be a much faster tire than the Corsa. (And actually, even hot I don't think the Corsa is that much better. I wasn't really impressed with the corsa as a r compound.)

Matt

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Matt, you've got a hell of a lot more track experience than me so I respect your opinion. I also read feedback at tirerack of the sort you mention, that the Corsas were slippery when not heated up ...so far I have not found that to be the case, maybe they will harden and get crappy and I'll have to trash them, we'll see. While I've never used the KD at all, from the comparison people make with the MX which I've used, I'm sure I prefer the Corsas for traction by a wide margin so far. I've seen KD's used quite a few times at the track and from that I would say they are an order of magnitude below the Corsas for traction ...as well as below any other R compound I've seen around; KD's are damn good street tires though. I'll see if my opinion of the Corsas holds out as they wear and in the cold. The Corsa treads clearly feel so much softer than any normal street tire when I finger them just sitting there in the morning still "cold" that when they get softer and stickier as they get hot, the traction will only get better. Heat cycling is a concern and I'm not sure how they will hold up in the long run but I'll report my opinions as they develop.

Taimur,
I got mine from tirerack at the prices shown on the site. I also found this tirerack link http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Pirelli&model=PZero+Corsa+Asimmetrico to the "N6 Porsche OE" type Corsas and noticed that most of these have extra circumferential tread grooves which mine don't have; mine just have the swiggly curvey tread pattern as shown on the tirerack pics. The Pirelli site also has info about various types of Corsas if you want to look further: http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/search/searchResults.jhtml?from=1&_requestid=25127

If you want to consider other R compounds for street use, Steve here had very good reports about the new Michelin Cups holding up well and others had nice things to say about Toyo R1's.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
... it was a funny testament to the Supra reputation that when I asked if he wanted to take a run up I-95 a guy on his Ducati 9??? (whatever they are) said no, he doesn't run Supras :)
Very fast Italian sport bike. I do run Supras with mine. Up to 120 or so. ;)

·
A wagon just passed you
278 Posts
My car isn't a Supra (just the engine) but I have 255/35/18's on the front and 285/30/18's on the rear and have been happy. My car sat outside for 2 months in the winter after I blew the motor at a PIR track day and there were no flat spots on the tires. Also these are the best performance rain tires I've ever had. I made a trip down I-5 with some of the worst rain I've ever driven in (standing water in the ruts) and I never hydroplaned once at 70 + mph.

Anthony
'71 Datsun 510 wagon, '91 7M-GTE
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663

1 - 19 of 19 Posts