Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im buildng a 1999 2jz ge vvti, from a 1999 gs300, anyways, im down to rebuilding the bottom end after resurfacing and honing. Im checking my ring gaps on the 2jz hasting rings i bought and see wierd results. Acording to the rebuild manual it should be like this
first ring:0.2mm to 0.4mm
second ring: 0.35mm to 0.45mm
oil ring :0.13mm to 0.38mm

My rings are
first ring: 0.42mm
second
ring: 0.25mm
third ring:0.6mm

I want to get semi high power out of this engine and plan on running high boost on it prolly 30 or more psi. Are these ok? Im really confused any input will help.

·
Registered
JZS161
8 Posts
You are supposed to gap the piston rings by filing them down to increase the measured gap until it's within spec.
However, since you have rings that have a gap that's too large already, you can't do that and have a problem.
Normally you should never receive rings that already have a gap that's too large out of the box.
Double check you are measuring correctly, and you have the correct rings for your bore size.
If your measuring is on point, you will either need to find other rings that fit better or are 'file-to-fit'.
Could also be your cilinders are too worn and you will need to bore to one size up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are supposed to gap the piston rings by filing them down to increase the measured gap until it's within spec.
However, since you have rings that have a gap that's too large already, you can't do that and have a problem.
Normally you should never receive rings that already have a gap that's too large out of the box.
Double check you are measuring correctly, and you have the correct rings for your bore size.
If your measuring is on point, you will either need to find other rings that fit better or are 'file-to-fit'.
Could also be your cilinders are too worn and you will need to bore to one size up.
My bore size is in spec. Would you recomend any file to fit rings? Im looking at some but idk which ones to choose.

·
Registered
JZS161
8 Posts
Sorry can't make any useful recommendations there. Probably best to go with what your piston manufacturer recommends.

·
2jz powered
1,654 Posts
Below is what you need. It is called a piston ring filer which can be purchased at Jegs or any other performance shop. You are going to need new rings to properly gap them within spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts