Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there are a bunch of threads about upgrading internals and the pros and cons and if you should do it in the first place, so im not looking for you to convince me either way. i would just like some imput on the aftermarket parts that are there. namely bearings because i dont know as much about them...i searched for bearings and only saw a few mentions of clevite 77's. rods i believe the majority would be for carillo's although many like crower...and pistons it sems to be up in the air. some people say JE, some say PHR JE, some say Cosworth, some greddy.

the majority of the people i have seen use the je alum. pistons.

my questions are as follows: are there any other bearings i should look at, i havent heard much about them? are the stockers good enough, or do these people make a superior product.

also would the Carillo H beam/PHR JE be a good setup with arp headstuds? please let me know.

how are the greddy rods/pistons?

TIA,
Mark

·
666 Posts
Larry of SP and many others had bad experiences with the standard off the shelf JE pistons being weaker then stock. I just wanted to mention that... Your setup sounds pretty good though I'd go with the stock pistons on a budget and JUN Cosworth if i wanted the best, I'm not sure what's better between the I and H beam carillos

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot, i know arias is supposed to make good pistsons but their 2jz gte listing is like 9.6:1 compression :eek: i heard that the PHR JE pistons were coated or reinforced somewhat, any idea on that? ill look into the cosworths, thanks again.

any comments on bearings?

·
666 Posts
Ktrends mentioned earlier that Twins Turbos stocks a 9:1 comp piston, I'd like to see a pic of them and the 9.6:1's to see what the dish looks like on them.

I'd heard the same as you about bearings

·
GT-R DUN, Son.
3,491 Posts
I run with JE pistons..so far no problems. Stock rods. stock bearings.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
From what I understand the Factory Toyota bearings are the best choice among bearing offered for the 2JZ. The Cleite77 bearings are softer than the Toyota ones.

As for rods, I believe the Greddy/Carrilo rods are among the top out there. Only rod I'd prefer over the Carrilos are Pauters. They are about the same money, but they have yet to be broken. My machine shop agreed 100%. I have the Crower rods, which are very nice and cost a little less than the Pauter's.

As for pistons, I like Arias, I have a set in my motor. Compression is up (9.6:1 vs 8.5:1), but that just means more off-boost power in my eyes. As long as you have the right hardware (studs, HG, etc.) to support the extra cyinder pressure you'll be just fine. Jun/Cossworth is SICK, but plan on re-mortgaging your home for a set of these bad-boys. Greddy would be my choice if you wanted to keep your stock 8.5:1.

Hope this helps at all.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OVRBST said:
From what I understand the Factory Toyota bearings are the best choice among bearing offered for the 2JZ. The Cleite77 bearings are softer than the Toyota ones.

As for rods, I believe the Greddy/Carrilo rods are among the top out there. Only rod I'd prefer over the Carrilos are Pauters. They are about the same money, but they have yet to be broken. My machine shop agreed 100%. I have the Crower rods, which are very nice and cost a little less than the Pauter's.

As for pistons, I like Arias, I have a set in my motor. Compression is up (9.6:1 vs 8.5:1), but that just means more off-boost power in my eyes. As long as you have the right hardware (studs, HG, etc.) to support the extra cyinder pressure you'll be just fine. Jun/Cossworth is SICK, but plan on re-mortgaging your home for a set of these bad-boys. Greddy would be my choice if you wanted to keep your stock 8.5:1.

Hope this helps at all.
thanks for the info on bearings...does anyone else make a set? otherwise ill probably stick with the stockers like you said.

now is there any reason you would take the pauters over the carillo's? have there been instances of carillos breaking? are they both billet steel?

pistons wise...now i am totally with you on the bump in compression, i see it as better off-boost power and better spool up, my only worry would be the increase in static compression and what it would do to the 'boosted compression' (hopefully youre following me) it would seem that it would be much more likely to detonate being compressed that much more. the seemingly logical thing to do is to pull back boost, but then youre not fully using your turbo and well you dont want to pull back boost anyways :). i suppose that the main thing that a 9.6 compression ratio would cause is to always have a higher octane than someone with 8.5 or 9.0 compression pistons correct? (assuming you have all the supporting head studs and head gasket, etc...)

i would really love to know why cosworth is just the shit in terms of pistons. everyone talks about them, what is it...are they stronger? lighter? im assuming they are forged aluminum like all of the others...any comments?

thanks again everyone for the replies.

·
666 Posts
I've heard great things about Cosworth and never anything negative about but that was with other vehicles like my friends old 190 2.3 16v mercedes built by Cosworth, he was hitting that thing with over a 200 shot and never hurt the pistons even when it leaned out once and just burned those SS sodium filled valves. But then again JE's were suppose to be great since they're used by John Force and other major racers. Screw it, stick with the stock pistons :D

LYTLdiablo said:
thanks for the info on bearings...does anyone else make a set? otherwise ill probably stick with the stockers like you said.

now is there any reason you would take the pauters over the carillo's? have there been instances of carillos breaking? are they both billet steel?

pistons wise...now i am totally with you on the bump in compression, i see it as better off-boost power and better spool up, my only worry would be the increase in static compression and what it would do to the 'boosted compression' (hopefully youre following me) it would seem that it would be much more likely to detonate being compressed that much more. the seemingly logical thing to do is to pull back boost, but then youre not fully using your turbo and well you dont want to pull back boost anyways :). i suppose that the main thing that a 9.6 compression ratio would cause is to always have a higher octane than someone with 8.5 or 9.0 compression pistons correct? (assuming you have all the supporting head studs and head gasket, etc...)

i would really love to know why cosworth is just the shit in terms of pistons. everyone talks about them, what is it...are they stronger? lighter? im assuming they are forged aluminum like all of the others...any comments?

thanks again everyone for the replies.

·
Registered
79 Posts
LYTLdiablo said:
i know there are a bunch of threads about upgrading internals and the pros and cons and if you should do it in the first place, so im not looking for you to convince me either way. i would just like some imput on the aftermarket parts that are there. namely bearings because i dont know as much about them...i searched for bearings and only saw a few mentions of clevite 77's. rods i believe the majority would be for carillo's although many like crower...and pistons it sems to be up in the air. some people say JE, some say PHR JE, some say Cosworth, some greddy.

the majority of the people i have seen use the je alum. pistons.

my questions are as follows: are there any other bearings i should look at, i havent heard much about them? are the stockers good enough, or do these people make a superior product.

also would the Carillo H beam/PHR JE be a good setup with arp headstuds? please let me know.

how are the greddy rods/pistons?

TIA,
Mark
Talk to Titan dude, ask about their new titanium stuff, its the best I've heard about, everything apart from the pistons, that title is still held by Cosworth. The rest is 0wned by Titans new Titanium stuff.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
OVRBST said:
...As for pistons, I like Arias, I have a set in my motor. Compression is up (9.6:1 vs 8.5:1), but that just means more off-boost power in my eyes. As long as you have the right hardware (studs, HG, etc.) to support the extra cyinder pressure you'll be just fine. ...
How do you arrive at 9.6:1? Is that with a stock hg/head? The only way that's possible on a stock hg/head is if the pistons are domed and not dished. The OEM TT piston only contributes 4cc to the clearance volume. With a stock hg, a flat piston with equivalent squish (0.060") would bring the CR up to ~8.9:1. That's no where close to 9.6:1. So, either you have a domed piston or a thinner hg; or both. Which is it?

Thanks,
-scott

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Titan has a good lead on upgraded bearings, rod and main, for the 2JZ. I went with them, and it seems that these are made for high horse, high punishment applications.

Eric

4 digit HP

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
motorheaddown - from another thread i have found out (this isnt confirmed, though it makes sence) that arias arrived at their compression ratio from incorrect information about the combustion chamber. they supposedly thought our combustion chamber was 40cc's instead of 45cc's. using the that information i think someone said that the true compression ratio of the pistons would be more of 8.9:1...which makes much more sense. i too was thinking about running high compression but i want to look much farther into the detonation risks associated...if you have any info on that please let me know...in the thread or PM/AIM.

cowboy bebop - how did you finally decide to go with titan, i know youre pushing some major power through that block so im sure that you did your homework on it. was there anything that stood out to you with them? do they use someone else's parts (like greddy, je, cosworth, arias, etc) or do they actually forge their own?

also about the bearings, what did you look for when looking at aftermarket? what other companies make bearings in the first place? thanks for any info

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I think the only thing that I had gotten from Titan was a bearing set for rod and main, and a set of main studs. I'm not sure who manufactures the bearings but they came highly recomended by people other than Titan. It might be the same ones they use in their motors, but to be honest, I'm not sure.

With the parts, I chose Carrillo H-beam for strength, and the fact that they are a half pound lighter that stock each, and PHR Spec J&E pistons becuase of the reinforced crown. I'm going to be shooting a large shot of Devil Juice, so the last thing we wanted was an aired out piston.

Eric

Searching for more HP

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, that definitely helps me out. does anyone know who makes the rod that Greddy sells? ive heard someone say they were carillo's but no confirmation on that...the greddy website doesnt say anything either.

i definitely didnt know that carillos were a half pound lighter per rod :eek: thats awesome, and from what ive heard the phr spec je's are pretty badass as well. thanks for all the imput

good luck searching for hp Eric :) im going to have to take a trip up to Jax when youre done to see that monster :)

Mark

·
Registered
544 Posts
i have a question for all you guys who run crazy amounts of horsepower with turbocharged cars about how compression ratio and knock work with turbocharged cars (or even really high compression n/a cars)

is it pretyt much a general rule that as compression ratio goes up overall power will increase as well? or if say you were using high compression and high boost, your knock limit would require timing such that you'd kill the efficiency of the motor, or is it pretty much ok with race gas? also doesnt higher compression mean lower exhaust temps/pressure, which might also offset the gains in a turbo motor

i never really understood this and figured one good way to find out would be to look at what people have done in making crazy amounts power in motors obviously greatly limited by knock

shiva

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Hell man, my car is in Orlando, so the drive wouldn't be that far. :) I've heard also that Greddy rods are the same as Carrillo H-beams, but like you said, there's nothing that says it on paper. Another thing is that the rods may be the same, but the rod bolts may be different. This may sound hokie, but since MVP uses this set-up on their car, I figured it must be a winning combination. Proven parts go a long way.

Eric

4 digits

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha Eric im not going to visit your car without you there :) aside from the normal reasons, theres too many goodies id want ;) jk. are you in FL now? or are you still across the pond?

which setup were you saying mvp uses on their car? greddy or carillo (potentially both haha)?

Mark

3 digits dammit

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I thought that MVP used Carrillo H-beam rods and PHR spec J&E pistons, but that info was in an older write-up. They may have changed it out by now, but if they did, I haven't run across the information.

Still in Sicily living it up, man. The parties out here are nuts, with the Italian women and all. I think the car is still is the paint shop right now and the motor and head are getting worked, but I haven't called on it in a while. I think I'll be back around Dec. 10th or so, and hopefully it'll all be buttoned up by then. I think somewhere there's a warehouse full of parts to be installed, also. I hope the Garage Advance boys have fun. :):)

Eric

1500 BHP or bust, hopefully not the latter...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts