Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i bought this car because of it's bad engine 2 weeks ago. I got a different block and bottom end from pioneer and have been getting that worked and assembled until we get time to pull the current engine. I also have been going through during the week and diconnecting everything.
We finally got to pulling it out today, and here are a few pix of the process.

Pioneer here checking to make sure everything is loose.

Getting there....

That hoist was the smartest tool we decided to purchase. You can sort of see pioneer's 89T peeking out behind the hood of mine on top of the driveway. She went through this same process 2 months ago.

What a mess

Now i need to go through and clean this out and get ready for the drop next weekend. The engine should be assembled these next couple days here. All the parts are here....

The infamous 7M mechanic. Without him this could not have been accomplished. If you ever need a rebuild, this is your man....

The stand is the second smartest tool we got.

JDM head already on there and machined and ready for HKS 1.2mm MHG.

More pix to come of the assembly of the new engine and the drop. Hopefully we'll have "FIRE IN THE HOLE" (i always wanted to say that, and i guess i'll be able to soon) this weekend.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a

You should thoroughly clan and possibly paint (maybe some high quality spray paint) the engine bay, youll be glad you did.

On my camaro I spent a few days cleaning and I used some spray paint and it came out great, on the supra the whole car was painted the color it is not while the engine was out the bay was painted too.

You might also wanna do some dress up while its out too, IE, polish the upper intake, valve covers, etc, its much easier to do it while its apart, and its a lot harder to motivate to do it once its in.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: a

werkkrew said:
You should thoroughly clan and possibly paint (maybe some high quality spray paint) the engine bay, youll be glad you did.

On my camaro I spent a few days cleaning and I used some spray paint and it came out great, on the supra the whole car was painted the color it is not while the engine was out the bay was painted too.

You might also wanna do some dress up while its out too, IE, polish the upper intake, valve covers, etc, its much easier to do it while its apart, and its a lot harder to motivate to do it once its in.
I'm planning on cleaning the engine bay, and was thinking of painting it, but i wanted to keep the original color. I don't know if i can find that color in a spray can, that's what's stopping me. I'm going to see how good it looks once cleaned and go from there.

I'm about to start doing the dress up, i already got some cleaner. Looking for something to polish with. Any ideas?
Thanx for the feedback though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
supraNa1990 said:
where you get the bolts to or what is the bolts you use to mount the engine to the stand?
thanks for some feed back
I don't know the size of the bolts of the top of my head, but i got them from carquest. Just take the bolts from the tranny (the ones with the 14mm head) and just get longer ones. Not too long though otherwise it's risky.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BlackDevilSupra said:
When you're ready to reinstall the engine, elevate the rear of the car instead of the front. It'll make reinstallation so much easier.
Trust me.....
I will try that. Thanx.

When we were doing Pioneer's car, the hard part we ran into was trying to get the mounts to fit in easily. We actually ended up breaking one, but it was hard to get both to line up perfectly, any suggestions about that?

thanx

·
Registered
346 Posts
Daamn I'm beat working on the car today. but thats out of the way now. 1 week is enough time to go through this and just clean it all up and ready to drop back in.

Raising the rear end will make the Tranny slip in easier, THats a Good Tip BlackDevilSup..

The Bolts for the Engine mount came from CarQuest. Go down there with your long Transmission bolts. and get something about 1 inch longer then that.

Bastard 7M almost broke my leg today carrying it to the back. Almost fell on my leg :rant:

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Looking Good! I just got done doing that myself about a month ago.

As far as the bolts for the engine stand, the bolts that hold on the idler pully work really well. You know which ones im talking about - the long beefy green bolts.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
sorcereur said:
I will try that. Thanx.

When we were doing Pioneer's car, the hard part we ran into was trying to get the mounts to fit in easily. We actually ended up breaking one, but it was hard to get both to line up perfectly, any suggestions about that?

thanx
for the engine mounts....take them off the engine....put the engine in....then slid in the mounts one side at a time turbo side first cause theres less room.....have someone "roll" the engine to the opposite side and side the engine mounts in and the align them and hand tighten the bolts....then do the other side and "roll" the engine the other way and do the same thing....then simply go under the car and put the nuts back on and youre good to go.....

when you do this 8 times in the span of 3 months you figure out all the small things that make life that much easier

good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts