Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engineworld, located in Oakland, has the 7M-GTEs for $650, 6 month warranty guarantee whatever. Attarco in Sacramento has the 7M-GTEs for around $690 and the same deal with the 6 month warranty.

While I'd like to save $40 dollars, I don't think I want to head all the way to Oakland then take it to Sacramento where I'm gonna have someone from NCS (Ti) help drop it in. Has anybody had any experience with any of the businesses above? If so, what all can you have ordered with the engine?

I ask this because after seeing the "finished product" video on the MKIII forums, the first image on the dudes video is of the engine from Jarco, reading: Jarco has installed new waterpump, oil filter, timing belt, etc. Do any of these companies offer that?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
our shop has had bad expirences with attarco motors... i'd check out jarco... that shit looks top notch as far as used ass jdm motors are concerned. personally, if its an option, i'd rebuild it myself... more rewarding, and it gives you more respect for your motor.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, next week is the only week that I have any free time, as it is Spring break. Is Jarco located here in California or elsewhere? I'd rather not deal with shipping and the wait.

Anyway, after some searching, I found cons and pros for Attarco, but I've only seen one post talk about Engineworld, and the person who posted it praised it. Apparently Attarco requires you to give them your old motor, but some say no, some say yes. I'll call them to confirm whether this is true or not.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i dont know where jarco is exactly... i rebuilt my motor. but if i were gonna get a jdm motor, i'd want to test it in everyway possible before getting it. just to know i wouldnt be wasting my time with some crap motor.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A call to Engineworld reveals that they sell the head and the longblock.

The longblock includes the stuff like manifolds and alternators, correct?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
nah, i dont think it includes all that stuff... just head on down.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, guess I'll have to suck it up and order from Soko or Jarco.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
hmm if i recall correctly i bought a 7m-ge motor from attarco for my daily driver and i didn't do a rebuild....car had a BHG after 6 months....7000 miles...if i was to do it again i would just do a rebuild...yea i've heard of jarco and good reveiws about them

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
I have en engine from ATTARCO.

The first engine I received, it looked like someone opened it up, scraped crap off the pistons, and slapped the head back on without doing anything.

I called them up to pick up that trash of and engine and bring another one.

THe engine they brought back to me was a lot better. It looked like it was only ran for 20-30 k miles. It was rally clean..internally and externally. ALready has A MHG installed in it..probably in Japan.

I guess, since they are local, i would personally go and pick out an engine. Yo ucan actually view the condition of the engine at their warehouse.

·
Supra + DSM = heaven
3,946 Posts
Oh yah I forgot to mention they DEFINATELY had done some cleanup to make the engines look newer. Part of the reason I had to tear down the motor was we took the pan off and found a huge chunk of rod bearing in there. I was like OH FUCK, I considered warranty replacement but decided to just rebuild it anyway. Every bearing in there was in perfect condition, which means the oil pan had come from something else.

Then I realized in the oil pan theres one bolt thats shorter then the rest but a full size bolt had been put there and the short bolt was in another hole on the pan. If the engine had been run like this the longer bolt would have scored into the timing belt which meant the oil pan had been changed since the motor had been run. (which would explain the bearing chunk in there) . So we know a few things: whatever motor they took that pan from was garbage, they took the pan off of this motor and after looking at that bottom end I would presume it was for the purpose of cleaning things up to make it look newer or at least checking the bottom end to see if the bearings were in order. It did appear they had done some cleaning both in the bottom end and in the head, especially around where you peak in through the oil fill hole to check for discoloration :rolleyes:

I'm getting the feeling that the party days are over and the popular engines are getting hard to find in Japan so we're starting to see lower quality motors making it here or a complete lack of them altogether.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right now, I just need an engine that will last me until May. When May comes around, I'll be getting down and dirty rebuilding. It's just that this week is my only free time since it is spring break (wooo).

I just called Jarco and it's $1995, but they include a lot of things in their package so that's to be expected. So as of right now, it looks like Jarco is slightly out of my budget. I may go with Attarco and have Ti from Sac come over to the Sacramento location with me to pick an engine out.

Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts