Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this thread by saying I really like daily driving my Supra. I don't have a problem racking up the miles on it. I bought it to drive it and I do as often as I can. I have been using my Supra as my only car for about 5 years now. I've never had anything else, other than my previous Supra. Daily driving a Supra isn't cheap but I've been doing it and could keep doing it if I wanted to. I've gone from a bone stock Supra, to one with basic mods, done 2 engine swaps, upgraded from stock twins, all while staying in specific time frames so I still make it to work and school on time. Other than 2 cases where I had to have the Supra in the body shop for accident repairs, I've never had to miss work or school because of it. And during those times, I was able to borrow a car or get a ride.

I'm at a point now where I wish I could put the car down for longer periods of times to do whatever project I'm doing, or take my time installing mods and parts, or just have something else because I'm not in the mood to drive it at the time. Having to work while watching the clock to make sure I finish whatever I'm doing on time isn't always fun. The projects I want to tackle with my Supra now can't always be done under the schedule of take the car down on friday and have it running again by monday morning. I think it's time for a 2nd car.

Soon, I'll have around $300 a month freed up to use for some purpose.

I'm not just looking for some random $500-$1000 beater to move from point A to B. I already considered that type of car but I know myself and I would end up driving my Supra most of the time anyway. If I buy a 2nd car, I'd like it to be nice enough that I don't mind driving it frequently. My criteria are something that's NA, manual, probably 4cyl, preferably RWD, preferably 2-door, good gas mileage, and a 2000+ model. Something with nice interior. I don't like leather much but could stand it for the right car. It doesn't have to be practical in the sense that it carries 4-5 people with room for luggage. The majority of my driving is just me with my briefcase. I don't want to have something I know I'm going to just blow money away on mods either. That's why I'm staying away from boosted cars. Oh, and it must come in black. :)

Some cars I've come up with are the Celica(FWD I know but not ruling it out yet), MR-S, Miata, and RSX(FWD again). A good friend of mine has an S2000. I've driven it a few times and it's pretty enjoyable. I've said things about them in the past concerning their lack of power compared to a Supra but I'm not looking for something with a bunch of power potential. I already have that part covered. Even thinking S2000 might just be me being greedy and drifting from my original purpose. They're a little out of my price range anyway, unless it's an early year with really high miles and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't want to stretch my money too thin.

I'm looking for experience and input on the cars I've mentioned or other suggestions. I'm not in the market to buy quite yet but I'd like to narrow my search down before that time comes and learn a little more.

· Ready. Set. Gone.
8,236 Posts
Joe,

My top choices for you would be the MR-S, S2K, and Miata. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either of them, so the best I can do is reinforce your current interest!

On another note, I'd like to say that I have always been impressed with your Supra. Would you mind sharing some pics of it? If you don't want to hijack your own thread, could you PM me some pics? The most I have seen of it was the front end shot. A beautiful car. The black really sets it off. Certainly one of the better Supras I have seen including MKIV's.

God Bless,

· Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you already answered your own question. And while reading down, I was thinking S2K also.
G, you think so?

Maybe I should stop trying to convince myself that an S2000 is too nice a car for my stated purposes.

· Registered
842 Posts
Seems like you want to stay with imports. 2000+, affordable, RWD you don't have many choices- Miata and MR-S. If you want to expand your choices I would look into pre-Terminator Cobras and LS1 F-bodies, they get around upper 20s HWY MPG.

· Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joe,

My top choices for you would be the MR-S, S2K, and Miata. Unfortunately, I have no experience with either of them, so the best I can do is reinforce your current interest!

On another note, I'd like to say that I have always been impressed with your Supra. Would you mind sharing some pics of it? If you don't want to hijack your own thread, could you PM me some pics? The most I have seen of it was the front end shot. A beautiful car. The black really sets it off. Certainly one of the better Supras I have seen including MKIV's.

God Bless,

It's nice to hear others come up with the same cars that I did to back up my thoughts. Same as I said to G, maybe I shouldn't be trying to convince myself an S2000 is too nice a car for me to be thinking about. But I don't want to rule out the MR-S or Miata as unworthy in comparison. I'll be honest, I'm leaning alot towards one of the these three. The S2000 looks to be the nicest of them but I'd love to hear about the MR-S and Miata too. Both of them are cheaper than the S2000.

Here's a few recent pics of my Supra. It's currently in the body shop right now because of an accident last month. That's part of what prompted my thinking about this thread and one of the two incidents I mentioned in my first post. I'm using my mom's Pilot to get to school and getting a ride to work at the moment. It's not a pain in the ass to get where I need to go but it would be really nice if I didn't have to worry about that kind of thing.

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming.

· Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miata or S2000. i would recommend a 2001+ sport model

It has a 6 speed and LSD. The S2000 is nicer but parts are more expensive and also hard to work on IMO. Miatas are cheaper, easy to work on cars.

I'm not too worried about difficulty of working on the car. I didn't find it too hard to work on yet anyway. I helped my friend with his S2k installing his springs/shocks, exhaust, HIDs, and other general stuff. I do most all of the work on my Supra anyway.

I might want my car detailed sometime soon, Ganesh. Let me drive your Miata next time you're here. I know it's auto, but still. :)

· NFA Pimp
8,281 Posts
Per your requirements, 4 banger, RWD, the S2k would be my top pick. Change the requirments around a little, I would get an Integra or a Civic hatch and leave it stock as possible with the exception of wheels.

Right now I am pooping in a 00 Accord V6 and couldn't be happier. Parts of me want's to get another car, but then I look at the payments and insurance (about a grand) for a new sports car and think otherwise. Haven't had a car payment in 6 years.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
im in the same boat as you. i love daily driving my supra but its expensive as heck with the gas prices. ive decided to go with miata early next year. use it as my daily and x-cross car. they go for really cheap too. 2000 to 3000.

· Wangan Nasty
2,128 Posts
I'm not too worried about difficulty of working on the car. I didn't find it too hard to work on yet anyway. I helped my friend with his S2k installing his springs/shocks, exhaust, HIDs, and other general stuff. I do most all of the work on my Supra anyway.

I might want my car detailed sometime soon, Ganesh. Let me drive your Miata next time you're here. I know it's auto, but still. :)
Ya no problem, just give me a call or PM.

· Ready. Set. Gone.
8,236 Posts
I agree that a Miata may be your best bet given the money you currently have available. Driving Ganesh's is a great idea. Don't let him drive you around as he will probably take you on some crazy midnight touge run. :lol: :lol:

Very nice MKIII, Joe. Keep up the good work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.