Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally stock 55K miles on the supra. What are the first mods? planning to get it to 1k horsepower. Budget being at least 15k USD if possible

·
Registered
283 Posts
I assume it's a manual 6 speed and has a TT engine?

Are you planning to farm any of the work out or can you wield a spanner okay?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is this for highway running, or 1/4 mile drag racing?
For the engine and drivetrain, your best bet is to talk to the local shops that participate in the uphill dune drags. Some of them build some pretty insane meth powered highway beast Patrol and Land Cruiser that outrun modified Lambos. I understand there is some friction between you and UAE, but there are some great shops there. Might want to reach out to some of them. There are some traditional drag racing shops in Bahrain also.

·
500hp+
482 Posts
I honestly would recommend only going as far as BPU if you are planning to purchase a stock car, you will have better luck retaining the value of the car.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
These cars are too valuable if they are truly stock. Just look at the prices. You are looking for big issues building to 1000 hp. Stuff breaks and parts are harder to find (sometimes impossible), so be aware that a 22 year old car, no matter how well maintained, is going to need replacement parts. Little things that break, or even bigger things. I would buy the Supra, but buy another, newer car to build to 1000 HP.

·
Low Mile Supras
646 Posts
Wow you’re pretty brave to be permanently cutting the value of that thing in half (people say they can go back to stock but once you build the engine it will never happen). Not trying to be pessimistic, but at this point in the MKIV’s legendary status, I’d buy a low mile modded car instead and change it to suit your style.

·
Registered
246 Posts
the question is how many of us who did modify our supra regreding the decision .
I did my with 50k on the clock and love it every minute of it .
most of the people buying supra for its iconic stories power and looks
I would rather enjoy it and very time I drive have smile on my face then have garage queen to look at
but ever body got its own point of view .

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
And why do you need 1000 HP? It's rear wheel drive car and that much power on the road is dangerous at best. Just look at all the high horsepower corvettes, mustangs, etc. that crash from losing traction.

And, keeping a 1000 hp car running without out breaking anything is questionable at best. The more you drive it, the more likely you are to break something.

·
Registered
237 Posts
OP is Qatari. If you're not familiar with some of the cars (and dune climb) that are built in the GCC they don't really give a shit about money advice. Look at videos from Peter Bjorck on youtube. These guys are doing wheelies going up huge sand dunes. They're basically tractor pulls, uphill, gassers inside an SUV or pick-up chassis.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Interesting stance some are taking with regards to power OP is seeing, 10-15 years ago this would have been 180 degrees on these forums. Personally, I could care less about the value and modify it to enjoy it. Having experienced my current 6 speed as a stock car, IMO it was good.. but the modifications brought it to the next level. Unless you are buying with intentions to somehow one day possibly make money from it, of which there are much better investments to be made, do as you wish and enjoy it while it lasts.

·
Administrator
8,578 Posts
I would modify a quicksilver, rsp, 1a1 with 10 miles on the odometer, do donuts in a parking lot, slam gears on the highway, put it away dirty. Have fun, these cars should not be worshipped as monetary investments. I dont envy anyone who chooses to do that with their cars.

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
244 Posts
I can see both sides. In the end, I think it comes down to reason, age, money to spend, etc. I've owned my 87 Turbo for 25 years and it's stock. That works for me. I have modded Toyota 4x4s, 4Runners, my 77 Bandit Edition Trans Am. All were fun in their own way, in their own time.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm glad I modified my car, but I was already daily driving for 5 years BPU and racked up tons of miles, man if I could go back !!! I would of bought a beater and drove Supra only on weekends.

I just thought my coworker (he is 25 years old) was crazy spending 8k to turbo his S2000. I reflected back: I was spending every pay check on a part of some sort to mod my mustang in my 20's

·
Registered
792 Posts
Call a local tuner, they are very helpful. You can ship the car too..

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you do 100% of the work yourself, a remotely reliable 1000whp out of a Supra will cost the price of the car + ~20k.
That's assuming you have access to the machining equipment & knowledge to fully build a 3.0. Because the stock bottom GTE won't survive.
Paying a shop will cost around double that.

I know because i'm going through the process right now..

There's a sticky in this section for build cost breakdowns

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey everyone! Since he disappeared, I’ll gladly hijack the post. I literally have just bought a 56k mile stock TT but it’s auto. I don’t want to go nuts (I know you can’t on that transmission anyway) but would definitely like to add some upgrades. I’ll do some searching and look at the sticky posts but always good to hear opinions. ECU, intake, exhaust, FMIC, and upgraded piping? Thanks in advance for any advice. Really excited to be an owner!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts