Supra Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sky is the limit. First thing I'd recommend is sorting out that all the rubber in the suspension arms is still good. Put it up on a lift and unload the suspension arms, look for cracks or memory warpage. If that all looks fine then get a decent stand alone ECU, MoTeC or EMU. Stay away from AEM. Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc. factory ECUs are getting old and the caps randomly fail. You're gonna need to buy one at some point anyway, and a good tune will keep the motor running longer than if you try to bandaid a mod with something like an SAFC.
Sort out the suspension, coilovers or whatever you want. Stock struts are probably leaking on that thing.
Next mod would be Nissan 370Z six speed swap.
Then start going after power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the input! I see the merit in a transmission swap, but I plan to simply use the car more as a grand tourer. Would like to just get it up to 500hp while maintaining reliability. I take delivery of the car this Wednesday so I’ll start taking a closer look at what needs to be sorted. Fortunately the dealer did a bit of work including a new timing belt, so that helps. Really excited to get started!

Sky is the limit. First thing I'd recommend is sorting out that all the rubber in the suspension arms is still good. Put it up on a lift and unload the suspension arms, look for cracks or memory warpage. If that all looks fine then get a decent stand alone ECU, MoTeC or EMU. Stay away from AEM. Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc. factory ECUs are getting old and the caps randomly fail. You're gonna need to buy one at some point anyway, and a good tune will keep the motor running longer than if you try to bandaid a mod with something like an SAFC.
Sort out the suspension, coilovers or whatever you want. Stock struts are probably leaking on that thing.
Next mod would be Nissan 370Z six speed swap.
Then start going after power.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it's a 94/95 it's exempt from OBD inspection. Throw away the ancient stock ECU, get a new harness if the stock one is hacked up. I wouldn't advise making performance upgrades before changing that ECU. You'll quickly find that you need many piggy back modules to support the stock ECU for 500whp. You don't want to go down that road with a 25yr old computer & wiring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the advice! That makes sense. The car is bone stock so fortunately I don’t have to undo any previous hack jobs. I’ll start looking at ECUs. I live in Florida so no inspections needed.

If it's a 94/95 it's exempt from OBD inspection. Throw away the ancient stock ECU, get a new harness if the stock one is hacked up. I wouldn't advise making performance upgrades before changing that ECU. You'll quickly find that you need many piggy back modules to support the stock ECU for 500whp. You don't want to go down that road with a 25yr old computer & wiring.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts