Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I wanted to post my emissions readings from 2 summers ago,
She has basically been in storage in my garage since she has failed the test.
(only the occassional neighbourhood blast to keep things good)...

But I really want the car to pass now so i can put a sticker on the plate and drive when ever i want...

Here are the readings again from 2 years ago:

ASM25 TEST

LIMIT READING
HC ppm 62 201 FAIL
CO% .35 .47 FAIL
NO ppm 684 656 PASS

RPM 2655 VALID
DILUTION 15.06 VALID

CURB IDLE TEST

LIMIT READING
HC ppm 200 148 FAIL
CO% 1.00.35 .27 FAIL

RPM 1342 VALID
DILUTION 15.47 VALID

Thanks again for your ideas

J

·
Unclipped Fury
767 Posts
do you have an SAFC or fuel cpu? If so, lessen the fuel by a few % in the region thats being tested. The NOX will go up a little, but the HC will come down. Also, before you go to get the car tested, take the car for a nice cruise, ensuring to heat the cat.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
can we say PIG RICH!!

The High HC means unburnt fuel, unless your timing is all goofed up you are just showering the engine in fuel. Too much of it I might add :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mikkee123 said:
do you have an SAFC or fuel cpu? If so, lessen the fuel by a few % in the region thats being tested. The NOX will go up a little, but the HC will come down. Also, before you go to get the car tested, take the car for a nice cruise, ensuring to heat the cat.
Hi mikkee123,

No i dont have an SAFC or fuel control.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
figgie said:
can we say PIG RICH!!

The High HC means unburnt fuel, unless your timing is all goofed up you are just showering the engine in fuel. Too much of it I might add :)
Hey Figgie,

I advanced the timing to 12 degrees a while back, also i have a BOV that is vented to atmosphere... I did plan on setting the timing back to 5 degrees before testing. Would the BOV be a problem?

Any suggestions on what to check to bring the fuel down.

The car has BPU upgrades

Thanks

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Blue89Turbo said:
Hey Figgie,

I advanced the timing to 12 degrees a while back, also i have a BOV that is vented to atmosphere... I did plan on setting the timing back to 5 degrees before testing. Would the BOV be a problem?

Any suggestions on what to check to bring the fuel down.

The car has BPU upgrades

Thanks

well a "BAD" bov would let unmetered air in and actually make you run LEAN.

the TSRM states 10 btdc not 5. My opinion slide some alcohol into the gas tank (about a gallow or two tops) and see what happens.

You could always put hte 440 injectors back on and the stock AFM too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
figgie said:
well a "BAD" bov would let unmetered air in and actually make you run LEAN.

the TSRM states 10 btdc not 5. My opinion slide some alcohol into the gas tank (about a gallow or two tops) and see what happens.

You could always put hte 440 injectors back on and the stock AFM too.

I am sure the bov is working ok i can hear it releasing pressure and see the valve moving inside when revving the engine from the engine bay...

I was debating turning the timing back to 5 and adding some isopropyl rubbing alcohol to a tank 1/8 full...how much alcohol is the question?

Just so you know i did not go as far as injectors or afm "yet" - my next step was afm...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frank1 said:
Why the high idle? Given those readings and the high idle I'd almost think the engine wasn't warm...
Hey Frank,

You know, you have a good point, I never noticed that but that idle is definitely not my regular idle speed when warm...

Well I plan on driving her straight to the emissions place (~80 hwy kms) and having her tested, Also i plan on turning the timing to 5 degrees and pouring some alcohol into the tank...

I hope that will do it

·
Registered
199 Posts
As for the idle, the higher the better (I believe 1500 is max allowable for this exact reason), I forget why but when I got mine to pass we set the idle as high as possible. Also the proper timing will make a huge difference in HC. The alcohol will help, but make sure that you have fresh oil, old oil causes problems too.

All of this info came from my mechanic and it passed adjusting the timing took care of 80% of the problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Maybe some of u guys can help me out too. I just put my car in for inspection and emmissions and it failed emmissions. the nox is too high. My mechanic says it because i got rid of the first cat when i put an after market downpipe on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have a cooleeze down pipe with a radon tech high flow cat and blitz exhaust. Is there anyway i can lower the nox with having to go back to a stock down pipe?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LordLo said:
Do the basic tune up and then see what happens.
Ok, i did some basic tune up stuff

new plugs
oil/filter change
put a timing gun on #6 and realized that the timing was way advanced, i mean probably 20 deg. i tried to turn it back but with the cps turned all the way back i can only get her to ~15 deg...

can anyone explain why i cant turn the timing back to 5 or 10 ??

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys,

Well I did it, I passed after the car has been garaged for about 3 years.

I changed the plugs, oil and filter, turned timing back (15 degrees - as low as i could get it)
low octane fuel and 2 small bottles of alcohol!

I am stoked - now i can finally get her insured when i want - no worries.

Here are the readings this time:

@40kmh
hc limit 54 reading 45
co limit 0.3 reading 0.01
no limit 595 reading 79

idle
hc limit 200 reading 34
co limit 1 reading 0.01

SWEET!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts