Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical for a BPU Supra, my clutch is starting to go. I don't race the car or give it much abuse, but no one drives a Supra slowly. I need recommendations from the experts.

I was leaning toward a RPS stage 2 clutch or an ACT street clutch. However, since I will also need to replace my flywheel, should I consider a different clutch with a lightened flywheel? For example, if I went with the Mueller lightened flywheel, would I need a different clutch (like the RPS stage 3)? Is the clatter from a lightened flywheel and issue?

In summary . . .
Is there much benefit from a lightened flywheel at BPU or BPU+s?
Is clatter from the flywheel too much to stomach?
Finally, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks in advance for all your feelback,
Chris
Irving, TX

·
Banned
336 Posts
This all depends on what your hp level will be in a year from now.. maybe less..

If you're going to go single anytime soon, then go with a Twin/Triple plate clutch now or with the AZ Clutch.

If you're going to stay bpu for a while, then you're better off with the RPS Spring hub clutch and a light weight flywheel (doesnt matter which, they're all the same). The AZ Clutch is great for all types of driving from what ive been told by many people who have the clutch installed, but the part about it not having a lightweight flywheel doesnt turn me on to it. Thats why i got a OS Giken Triple clutch with the lightweight flywheel.

Honestly, MOST of the time, the chatter doesnt bug me at all. I hardly notice it. With the stereo going, i never know its there. However, there are times that is does get on the annoying side. Drivethru's are a perfect example of when they get pretty noisy. But alas, the way the rpm's just FLY and making the engine sound so much better IMHO, i could never go back to a stock flywheel again. Thats just me tho.

Also, when you hear the rattle/chatter at first, it sounds like theres something wrong with the car. Its fine and supposed to do that. So when you pull up to someone and the chatter is doing its thing.. If they ask whats wrong with your car, know that they arent in the know when it comes to supras.. If someone knows what a lightweight flywheel on a supra sounds like, they'll know better then to fuck with you..

Just some early morning thoughts...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Jack.

To answer your question, I don't plan on going single anytime soon. For now the car is just a cream puff BPU with only 14,000 miles on it. Later on, I will probably put on an intercooler, cam gears, etc. for some extra fun.

In regards to the lightened flywheel . . .
How much performance do you estimate it would give? Are we talking more ponies, quicker spool, or both?

Thanks again,
Chris

·
Banned
336 Posts
Yes to everything! I honestly love it to death. When a couple of the guys with stock clutch drove my car, just trying to reverse it, they were revving the car to 3500rpm! When i asked them why, they said at the same pressure to the pedals on their stock clutch, it'd be just over 1k rpm. Its a huge difference IMHO.

I havent dyno'd my car, but ive seen other dyno's with before/after of ~15RWHP, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Just make sure you can live with the noise. Its not unheard of for people to go back to the stock flywheel because they dont like the sound of the clutch. I think it sounds racey myself =)

Also, DEFINETLY put on a cam gear (its 120 bucks or so, you only need the exhaust side) since its cheap and very good gains (dyno proven 8-15rwhp). FMIC wont ever hurt =) When choosing your fmic, make sure you know your goals ahead of time. I got myself the HKS Type-S, which is the smaller front mount thats "rated" at 550hp. Well, people with the Type-S have dyno'd over 650rwhp, so its a pretty good flowing one. However, if i was to go with a big single, i'd switch to a larger greddy. Oh and for cam gear, try to get the Jun unit if possible, its the best out of all the ones out right now. I have the HKS and have 0 problems with it, but jun one is better designed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent! I'm taking good notes over here. I love the idea of making power quicker, and a few extra ponies never hurt. I wish that I had a better idea of how much clatter we're talking about.
Thanks again,
Chris

·
Banned
336 Posts
I'll be taking some movies of the car sounds so people can get an idea of how bad it can be. Look for it within the week in the general forum.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help, Jack. I appreciate it.

If anyone else has other input, let me know.

J

·
0 Posts
i think the rps stage 3 sprung hub is a good choice. the newest issue of turbo has nils lfeuven's supra with over 670 rwhp using this clutch. plus i believe the mueller flywheel is one of the lightest ones you can get. stock flywheel ~34 lbs. mueller ~14 lbs. i believe you get 2-3 hp for every lb. you take off the driveline. it helps reduce the lag also. so in theory you should get about 40-50 whp form just the flywheel:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the posts. For now I am leaning toward the RPS Stage 3 w/ lightened flywheel.

On a money saving note, has anyone tried to resurface the stock flywheel and then use it with the RPS stage 2 clutch? I realize that I wouldn't get the quick spool and extra power, but it would save me some cash.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Chris,

For BPU my recommendation is a stock flywheel and a TRD Single Disc clutch. (same as RPS Stage 2). Absolutely no question. This has been called "the little clutch that could." It's based on a stock Toyota clutch disc with an upgraded pressure plate, so it engages smooth as stock. It can easily hold upto 550rwtq and I've seen some holding over 600rwtq.

Stock twins? Hell yeah get a stage 2. I run a stage 3 only because I'm planning to go single and will need the enhanced torque holding capacity for when I run 30psi.

Flywheel? Stock flywheel all the way. I had a lightweight flywheel (TRD Twin Disc clutch w/ lw flywheel). Loved the clutch (smoother than my RPS stage 3, with the same holding capacity), hated the flywheel. Sure it's kinda nice when it revs quicker in neutral, but it's useless in real driving and it rattles like a damned tractor at stoplights. It gets old real quick. That's why I sold it to a friend for an insanely low price and got myself a new stock flywheel and RPS Stage 3.

You're in Irving, TX? Me too. Have we met at the Starbucks meets or are you new?

Get yourself on the TxMKIV mailing list to know what's going on in TX, etc... goto www.TxMKIV.com and see the instructions there.. there's also a member's registry there.

Andi

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Andi. We've had a chance to talk up a Starbuck a couple of times, but it has been a while. Remember, I drive the White Supra with really low miles . . . 1995 with 14K . . . I think that I had 12,000 when I met up with you guys last year. My wife and I just sold our condo in Dallas to get into a new home in Valley Ranch. Love the area.

More questions though . . .
Can I re-surface my stock flywheel and then just purchase the RPS Stage 2? Or is re-surfacing not an option?

If I do choose the higher performance option (RPS stage 3 w/ Mueller flywheel), won't it give me more options in the future (no plans to go single now, but you never know). I have also heard that bumping the idle RPMs to 1000 makes the flywheel tolerable. This isn't my daily driver, so maybe it is something I should consder? But if it really does sound like a tractor . . . ???

Any other thoughts?

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
snausa said:
Hey Andi. We've had a chance to talk up a Starbuck a couple of times, but it has been a while. Remember, I drive the White Supra with really low miles . . . 1995 with 14K . . . I think that I had 12,000 when I met up with you guys last year. My wife and I just sold our condo in Dallas to get into a new home in Valley Ranch. Love the area.

Cool..

More questions though . . .
Can I re-surface my stock flywheel and then just purchase the RPS Stage 2? Or is re-surfacing not an option?

Resurfacing isn't an option... the stock flywheel is a two piece sprung and oiled unit.. nobody around here can resurface it and the tolerances are so tight you shouldn't really resurface it anyway.

If I do choose the higher performance option (RPS stage 3 w/ Mueller flywheel), won't it give me more options in the future (no plans to go single now, but you never know). I have also heard that bumping the idle RPMs to 1000 makes the flywheel tolerable. This isn't my daily driver, so maybe it is something I should consder? But if it really does sound like a tractor . . . ???

Any other thoughts?
I just hate lightweight flywheels on Supras, period... you heard my car back when I had the TRD Twin Disc didn't you?

I went with an RPS Stage 3 because I plan to go single, but I still combined it with a stock flywheel... IMHO that's the best setup for a single turbo... unless you plan to drag race and slip it hard off the line, then I'd say Arizona clutch. Either way... stock flywheel.

Andi

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear ya, but is a little clatter not worth the quicker spool and extra ponies (as few as they may be)? Again, I'm just talking from the mixed feedback, not personal experience.

Thanks for your feedback on resurfacing. It looks like I've just got to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Andi, as always you have been very helpful.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
snausa said:
I hear ya, but is a little clatter not worth the quicker spool and extra ponies (as few as they may be)? Again, I'm just talking from the mixed feedback, not personal experience.

Thanks for your feedback on resurfacing. It looks like I've just got to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Andi, as always you have been very helpful.
IMHO, no it's not worth the few extra ponies. And I -am- talking from personal experience.. just MHO..

Andi

·
Banned
336 Posts
I for one think its worth it in a BIG way =) I dont mind the noise like andi does. Just me tho =) And the performance gains were very noticable on my car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jack. Between you and Andi, I have plenty to consider. Since it is not a daily driver, I may just take my chances on a lightened flywheel. It won't cost me that much more money.
Have a good weekend.

J

·
0 Posts
HELL YEAH ITS WORHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i've got the sprung hub and lightweight flywheel. THE NOISE ISN'T THAT BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you listen to a stock stereo system on the supra with not even medium volume you will never notice it. The only time i ever hear it is when i have the turbo timer on. a little bit of noise for a lot of power and less lag, HELL YEAH IT'S WORTH IT:D

J

·
0 Posts
OH YEAH, a new stock flywheel is like $450 so you might as well pay $50 more for one that weighs in at a 20 lb. savings!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts