Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help! The bolt for the ECU harness broke off . Half of the ECU bolt broke off in the ECU. :mad: Anyone have had this happen? Any recommendation as to how I can remove the broken bolt? Also, IF I was able to remove the broken piece, I'll probably need to chase the thread with a tap. Anyone know the size of the tap I need to get?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You might have to take the ecu out and do it the regular way. Drill it out with a drill out. First you drill a hole in the center of the bolt and then use the drill out to get it out. Looks like a drill bit with reverse threads. You screw it into the hole and when it catches it will unscrew the bolt. Unscrew by hand. Don't put the drill out in a drill and hit the power. That's probably a poor description but the drill outs are what you need if you can't get it out any other way. If you don't feel comfortable, take it down to a machine shop or to a mechanic and they will get it out.

For figuring out bolt sizes I picked up a few things the other day that are useful. At pep boys I found a little tool that measures thread pitches. They had one for metric and standard. And I got a little handle held caliper to measure sizes. For example, say the bolt is 12mm x 1.25. Measure the bolt diameter with the caliper. 12mm. Then use the other tool to measure the thread pitch. 1.25. Works great. What I did in the past was take the bolt down to lowes or home depot to find the size. They usually have a size chart where you can screw nuts and bolts into to figure out the size. Then go get your tap.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I'll try the drill out. Just in case that doesn't work, what type of shops would perform this kind of service?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! JC from UPFD fixed the ECU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts