Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and dolls...

I have been talking to a guy on eBay (link) that claims he moved to Budapest and needs to sell his '97 TT. He says that the car is in storage in Portland, ME and that it will be delivered to me by DTD Transport. The VIN he gave me came back clean and everything seems to be legit, but he only wants $18,000 for a car that should be worth over $30k, so it just feels like a scam. He had a webpage on an auction site in germany hosting the pictures and details but he has since deleted the page.

This is what he tells me to do...

He will close the transaction only through eBay, because he is out of the country and can't take care of things himself. The transaction will be through eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection. Here is how the process works:
- we agree on the price,
- eBay starts the transaction through eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program,
- they send me payment instructions,
- I send the money to eBay,
- they confirm the funds were received,
- He ships the car and gives me tracking information,
- I receive the car and accept it,
- they pay him my money.
If the car is not like described to me, I will have to ship it back in 30 business days on his expense.

The whole thing sounds too good to be true.

If you have seen this car or know who it belongs to please help me out. I have added some pictures below to help ID the car. I also included the carfax report. The car has a custom hand-rolled sheet metal wide body that was fabricated by JRD Tuning in Atlanta, GA (I included a few pics from thier website on the project)

The VIN number is JT2DE82A5V1000836 and it has ~43,000 miles. The pictures speak for the rest.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I figured that a car this badass had to have been spotted somewhere. CarFax reported that the car was kept in the NC/GA area for the majority of it's life and then it was inspected in Indiana but it's most recent emissions test was in TX.

If you can help me ID this car I will be forever greatful :hail:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Damn, I keep posting under my brother's name lol.

Anyways, it seems like you will be covered with the buyer protection so I say go ahead and jump on it ONLY IF you can buy it through ebay.com

·
Registered
504 Posts
Simple solution, Tell him you have cash & will pick up the car in person, NO deposite or any money up front , you will pay in full upon delivery/pick up. advise him you can come get it tomorrow.
If it's a scam he won't go for that, he will want some sort of deposite, Most scamers want only the transportation fee & say you can pay for the car after it is delivered.. quick easy cash for them.. you'll never see the car..

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
ITS A SCAM!!! Thats HOTSOUP. The bodywork on that car is worth more than $18000.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Total scam. Think about it...You can't find a 47k mile 93 auto with a salvage title that has no interior or paint for $18k. I posted a while back some asshole was trying to sell my 94tt on ebay. He was using pics of my car and had a similar story. I contacted him and he said it was in NY. But when I went to the garage my car was still there:) .

·
Inline for the win
4,747 Posts
The owner of that car lives in Texas. Its a scam bigtime. I saw it last summer when the previous owner had at a meet from indiana.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
Yup, Hotsoup has a website of his own with all the pictures and details on his Supra. I definitely remember it because he is one of the only guys I know who made his own widebody kit with custom metal fenders! If I recall correctly, he actually was thinking of selling it at one point, but for a heck of a lot more then $18K. Maybe someone else knows, but I could have swore I saw a thread or something with his car for sale, priced around $53K? This was at least a couple years ago.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Threads like this remind me of why scammers continue to do what they do... there is always someone ready to fall for it.

·
Inline for the win
4,747 Posts
Yup, Hotsoup has a website of his own with all the pictures and details on his Supra. I definitely remember it because he is one of the only guys I know who made his own widebody kit with custom metal fenders! If I recall correctly, he actually was thinking of selling it at one point, but for a heck of a lot more then $18K. Maybe someone else knows, but I could have swore I saw a thread or something with his car for sale, priced around $53K? This was at least a couple years ago.

Hotsoup screeename is Jason from NC. '93 RR auto car.

rjhosking is Ryan from Atl who owned this '97 TT TRD sheetmetal wideboy. His license plate was HOTSOUP, not screename. The website was widebodysupra.com which I believe doesn't work any more.

The newest owner in Texas is having the car built and I doubt he is selling at the moment as it just 3.4L stroker installed at ABM.

DP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts