Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just took my 88t out for a drive and all of a sudden i get a weird whine sound (kind of like a BOV) whenever i start to accelerate and the boost would be kicking in that ive never heard before... so i turn around and then all of a sudden i start to get the sound of an old trucks exhaust (kind of like a low exhaust rumble at idle and then almost like an old muscle car when you rev the engine from idle)... i have absolutly no clue what just happend but the sound seems to be coming from either the turbo or exaust manifold... please help.

G

·
88SupraTurbo said:
i just took my 88t out for a drive and all of a sudden i get a weird whine sound (kind of like a BOV) whenever i start to accelerate and the boost would be kicking in that ive never heard before... so i turn around and then all of a sudden i start to get the sound of an old trucks exhaust (kind of like a low exhaust rumble at idle and then almost like an old muscle car when you rev the engine from idle)... i have absolutly no clue what just happend but the sound seems to be coming from either the turbo or exaust manifold... please help.
You need to give us more information. We can't go off of sound. If your BOV is going out, it will "flutter" upon release. If your turbo is dying, you will see oil in your intake and blue smoke coming from your exhaust.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Lol, sounds to me like someone has an exhaust leak and pretty damn close to the turbo!

Your car should be fine, not that i'm guaranteeing anything, but that's basically how you'd describe a car running open downpipe. Check all of the bolts on the back of the turbo housing-to-downpipe, turbo elbow, cat front and rear etc. I'm sure your exhaust has either rusted through or something has worked its way very lose.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am not getting any weird smoke... i already checked that. the only time i hear the sound while driving is if i start to accelerate at all and as soon as i take my foot off i dont hear it anymore. While in neutral the idle seems to be at regular RPM's but with somewhat of a low exhausy rumble.... kind of like an old truck with bottles or a muscle car but just not as loud and then when i rev it at all the sound sound is somewhat like an old 305 engine with holes in the exhaust pipes.... i honestly cant describe it any other way... if it was the turbo or the bov that was going would i hear this different sound even when in neutral? i know this probably doesnt help much but the car seems to be running perfectly fine except for the fact that it is now not sounding the same. how about a clogged cat? i dont have a clue what that would sound like but im just trying to find out what it could possibly be. thanks alot for any helpful replies.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone else have any ideas? everything seems nice and tight. if the exhaust manifold gasket was no more good would that make that noise?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i think i may have possibly pin pointed where the exhause leak is coming from...... behind the left(turbo side) cam cover? there is a strong steady stream of what seems like exhaust coming from between just under the cam cover and the firewall.... what could possibly leaking exhaust back there?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
That's where your exhaust manifold connects to the block, your best bet would be to get a new metal gasket for it and retorque all of the bolts with a new gasket installed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
That's where your exhaust manifold connects to the block, your best bet would be to get a new metal gasket for it and retorque all of the bolts with a new gasket installed.
It connects to the head..

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
oh man, prepare to have the time of your life replacing that gasket! :D

i suggest you take a chair with you and do this by yourself - in regards to the well being of others....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im pretty sure its coming from the egr plate... i cant see how a leaking exhause manifold gasket would be pushing the exaust behind the engine and up between the firewall and valve cover... is the egr gasket hard to replace?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
88SupraTurbo said:
im pretty sure its coming from the egr plate... i cant see how a leaking exhause manifold gasket would be pushing the exaust behind the engine and up between the firewall and valve cover... is the egr gasket hard to replace?
no, but the exhaust manifold gasket is, for sure. requires taking the turbo off, blood and fit throwing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts