Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Universal Ambassador ^*^
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a paisley carbon fiber front lip with maybe about 8 to 10 mils of clear on top of the carbon fiber. It has a beautiful sheen to it, except the clear is cracking everyone and the clear is coming off. I was told by several people that I could sand it down and re-clear coat it. What types of sand paper should I use that will best sand down the remaining clear without hurting the carbon fiber part below it. If any has another suggestion I am all ears. Thankx everyone for your time.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
honestly just take it to a reputable body shop...

here is the issue... carbon fiber has resin and a gel coat on top of it... when sanding you wont know if you are going through clear or gel, so it is possible for you to reach the weave and completely destroy the product

a bodyshop will be able to fix spiderwebbing by using a paint remover to take the top layer of clear off, then buff it and recoat it using a better brand of coat

·
Universal Ambassador ^*^
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swearitsstock said:
honestly just take it to a reputable body shop...

here is the issue... carbon fiber has resin and a gel coat on top of it... when sanding you wont know if you are going through clear or gel, so it is possible for you to reach the weave and completely destroy the product

a bodyshop will be able to fix spiderwebbing by using a paint remover to take the top layer of clear off, then buff it and recoat it using a better brand of coat
The piece cost me 700 dollars. I dont wanna spend almost half the price of the product just to fix clear. Thats what it would seem like it would cost. Do U know how much something like this could cost?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts