Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I need some supra forums help!

I just recently finished my build and ran into a major setback as my tuner and I started the car for the first time last night. The motor and everything else under the hood are brand new.

Long story short, as we got the car fired up it ran for about 10-15 seconds and I noticed it was puking a white milky substance out of the radiator. Meaning the coolant and oil are mixing. Now, the motor is Brand new and built by an extremely reputable engine builder.

I checked every line I could think of to see if I crossed any oil with coolant lines and they were all perfect. I then thought, maybe the oil cooler is bad. So I pulled the intake manifold off, and bypassed the oil cooler. I then flushed the radiator, drained the oil and filled the car back up with water and brand new oil to see if by me deleting the oil cooler would stop the oil and coolant from mixing.

Well I got it back together and started the car, and again instantly the car started puking a coolant oil mixture. Are there any lines that I truely could have messed up? I'm really not leaning to it being a head gasket as its new. I mean it's mixing within seconds, I would guess a headgasket problem would take some time to mix, no? It just really has me baffled, like the car is trolley pumping oil and coolant together

Any help is greatly appreciated!

***OK UPDATE 7-12-16***

Precision Tuning pulled the head off today and the head gasket was indeed on BACKWARDS AND UPSIDE DOWN.

Now my question is, do you think the bottom end is hurt? Or do you think the car will be ok if I put a new head gasket on and flush the motor with new oil and flush the rad?

I need your guys help!

***UPDATE 7-31-16***

Ok got the car back together and after 5 oil changes and coolant flushes the car runs great! Thank you for all the help!

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
It crossed my mind that the head gasket could be on backwards since there have been more than a couple reports here of people doing that and similar outcome. But with what you say is an extremely reputable engine builder, that's a long shot. Unless extremely reputable but not experienced with 2JZ's. Who built it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It crossed my mind that the head gasket could be on backwards since there have been more than a couple reports here of people doing that and similar outcome. But with what you say is an extremely reputable engine builder, that's a long shot. Unless extremely reputable but not experienced with 2JZ's. Who built it?
Isn't there a dowel pin the gasket sits in? I thought it could only go on one way? Morgantini Racing Engines in PA built it. He has done numerous 1000hp 2jz's and is a true craftsman. I can't see him messing up but at this point I really don't know nick

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
true, that sounds highly unlikely for somebody like that. Not sure what else but I'll think on it while others chime in.

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
Head gasket only goes on one way.

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more and more I read the more it points to the head gasket being in backwards. Only reason I say that is because, within seconds the radiator fills with oil and oil pan is milky. I mean within seconds lol. Heads coming off this week it's driving me nuts now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Head gasket only goes on one way.

Steve
Are you sure? The more I read the more people keep saying it can be on backwards.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it helps at all, the head of the block is perfect. Both were decked prior to being put together. Both were thoroughly inspected.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
I think Nick may be correct in his assessment. There have been instances when guys installed the head gasket backwards. In fact, the first time I saw it happen was Bryce Danna's car at SILV98 or 99.

Ken.

·
2,275 Posts
+1 for backwards head gasket, a friend just experienced something very similar.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
it don't matter how good the person or how long hi's been on the business ppl make mistakes sometimes !!
either your head gasket is backwards or you have a crack head ... and if you paid someone to build or assemble this engine for you ?
might as well call the shop and tell them you having a problem with it before they give you some bullshit

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks you guys! The shop who built the motor is a good friend and will make good on it. I'm pulling the head off this week

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump!!!! Updated in the original post!

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Coolant mixing in the oil will absolutely damage bearings (really it will damage any friction surface in the engine). That being said I have cleaned out engines with blown head gaskets and reassembled and they ran fine for years but I have never attempted this on a big power build.

I really can't tell you this will be ok. It may be, it may be shot. One of those things.

·
2,275 Posts
Coolant mixing in the oil will absolutely damage bearings (really it will damage any friction surface in the engine). That being said I have cleaned out engines with blown head gaskets and reassembled and they ran fine for years but I have never attempted this on a big power build.

I really can't tell you this will be ok. It may be, it may be shot. One of those things.
I think you'll be okay if you guys caught it quick enough, like Carman said coolant can damage bearings, as long as you flushed the motor with clean oil and new filter. Other than that, I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys, like I said the car only ran for SECONDS. I didn't do anything more. As soon as I caught it I drained everything and pulled the head.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
600 Posts
You'll be fine.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Seconds idling really shouldn't cause enough damage to anything to necessitate more than a proper flush and fill.

Coolant is difficult to flush out completely. I generally don't feel good about it until about 3 drain and fills. Depends on the engine though. Just check it again after a few seconds of idling. If you notice it's milky at all, drain and fill again. Don't stress anything until the oil is clean. Change your filter each time too.

Again it's not a guarantee but it's usually ok.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those of you who care, we got the head back on the car and after 5 oil changes and coolant flushes the car sounds great.

·
2,275 Posts
For those of you who care, we got the head back on the car and after 5 oil changes and coolant flushes the car sounds great.
Great news!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts