Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help, noticing problems

ive had my 94 for about 2 years now and never really noticed this. ive taken the car in before to delearships n got the thing serviced and maintenanced and everything. but now ive noticed that my car has been acting a little funny.
1. my rpm kind of bounces at idle. i figured this might be a boost leak but had my turbo hoses replaced before so im not sure what it is. it doesnt bounce dramtically n sound isnt too much different but it goes down about 1/2 cm every other second.

2. not sure how high my idle is suppose to be but it was at 1.2 and now i set it back down to .8 n i hear my intake maf meter or something over on the passenger front spinning. sounds like a fan

3. the other day wen i was out cruising my heater went from the lowest setting to the highest. that was the wierdest and not to long after that my check engine light came on.

4. now i noticed a pretty big spot on my driveway of motor oil. i have my car sitting for a couple days straight usually but not sure why its this much now.

5. last and hopefully only one left is that my car puffs out pretty big clouds of smoke (white) when i turn it on. when it warms up it goes away but still clouds but tiny ones. i have a downpipe so not sure if that is what causes it.

please i need help i want to take it in and get all this checked up on but i wanted to run it by the supra guru's and see if im just being paranoid

thanks so much in advance
jason

·
Grocery Getter
439 Posts
I think i can answer two questions for ya
1. The black stuff that is coming out of your exhaust is b/c you are probably running rich due to your mods. Same thing happens to me, although if you notice that black smoke is coming out when you are driving that is real bad.

2. I had a slight variance when my car was idleing, and i change my spark plugs to NGK. If you have bosch or something like that throw them out, they are hurting you more than helping

if it is a real high mileage car your turbos might just be going. That is about all i know hope it helped:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
booooooooooooooooossssssssssssttttttttttttt

thanks for the info but its white smoke coming out of the exhaust while idling....... also i think it is because of my mods though

thanks in advance need more info please
jason

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive had my 94 for about 2 years now and never really noticed this. ive taken the car in before to delearships n got the thing serviced and maintenanced and everything. but now ive noticed that my car has been acting a little funny.
1. my rpm kind of bounces at idle. i figured this might be a boost leak but had my turbo hoses replaced before so im not sure what it is. it doesnt bounce dramtically n sound isnt too much different but it goes down about 1/2 cm every other second.

2. not sure how high my idle is suppose to be but it was at 1.2 and now i set it back down to .8 n i hear my intake maf meter or something over on the passenger front spinning. sounds like a fan

3. the other day wen i was out cruising my heater went from the lowest setting to the highest. that was the wierdest and not to long after that my check engine light came on.

4. now i noticed a pretty big spot on my driveway of motor oil. i have my car sitting for a couple days straight usually but not sure why its this much now.

5. last and hopefully only one left is that my car puffs out pretty big clouds of smoke (white) when i turn it on. when it warms up it goes away but still clouds but tiny ones. i have a downpipe so not sure if that is what causes it.

please i need help i want to take it in and get all this checked up on but i wanted to run it by the supra guru's and see if im just being paranoid

thanks so much in advance
jason

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
white smoke is not good !souds like your getting oil and anitfreez mixed up in the motor! chech the radiator or overflow tank to see if you see brown glops of oil !asap!
CHINEEZE TWIN TURBO said:
booooooooooooooooossssssssssssttttttttttttt

thanks for the info but its white smoke coming out of the exhaust while idling....... also i think it is because of my mods though

thanks in advance need more info please
jason

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i need help soon because of my soon to arrive mods that are being put on next week
i really want to get all this stuff fixed or found out what is really go on.... please help
im sorry but im sort of desperate
sorry
jason

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i found out something else thats rather wierd...... after i set my idle back to 0.8, i noticed that when i revved my rpm at idle or going to idle dropped to 0.4 and pretty close to stalling

i know this cant be normal...
please i need to know whats wrong

thanks again
jason

p.s. ranger498 i checked out the coolant overflow and there wasnt oil globs but i was pretty low on coolant so thanks for the advice....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had some advise to change the spark plugs to mayb ngk i think he said
but see if that might work
can any one second that advise or know what other remedies might help
thanks

·
¿Got Boost?
96 Posts
I'm no expert...but...just fill you in on what i know. As far as the bouncing at low idle...that seems to be a common problem. There was a bunch of emails about that on the ca-mkiv mailing list. It happened to me a couple of time but it would return to normal after a day. You can try resetting your ecu or getting new sparks like you said. The puff of white smoke is no surprise...its probably your valve stem seals going bad like half the other Supras here, including mine. Don't worry too much on that one, but get them replaced eventually. The other two, I can't really help you there, but you should really check out where that oils leaking from.

James

M

·
0 Posts
If you don't turbo time properly, you will get a white "cokey" substance in the exhuast.

S

·
0 Posts
about the oil leak.. have no idea.. I would recommend to clean the engine with a degreaser, and then a couple of days later go under you'r car and try to see where the leak is coming from.. could be from the valve cover.. or something else.. if it's that small this would be a good way to find it. about the idle I have the same problem.. and I am pretty sure it's probably a vaccum leak somewhere.. how do I know.. when boostin' I can feel the turbos kickin' in but also feel a bit of sporadic loss of power.. every now and then.. (turbos are fine.. visually inspected) for the white puff of smoke in the mornings, I can bet it's bad valve stem seals.. u do have a '94 w/ possibly high mileage.. for this there are several posts in this forum on how to go about this... I let my morning puff of smoke go for about a year.. it only got worse, to the point I was even puffin' at stop lights upon accelerating.. (nothing happened performance wise, while I had the steams bad) got sick of it took it to Toyota, had it fixed.. I do feel the car is stronger.. think it's because the oil passing the seals through time were fouling the plugs.. hope this helps..

R

·
0 Posts
concerning idle, idle should be 600 rpm. your idle dropping and stalling sounds like a problem I used to have. if u have an aftermarket bov, tighten it up. that solved my idle problem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jason, Jonas's car also puff a big white cloud when start up. As for the idling I do have that problem but it's nothing serious.

As for the oil, you should have that checked out. that can lead to some serious problems.;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is denso iridium spark plugs good, local car shop suggested those to me or should i just stick with ngk
i brought my car to the shop n having them look at my oil leak, look for a boost leak, n mayb findout why im smoking.
thanks for all the info
and somemore wouldnt hurt
jason

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the oil leak is already being checked out
thanks sherman for the info
i think i do have a boost leak because i tightened my bolt for the bov n still idling funny
wat spark plugs should i get ngk or denso iridium..... n e others
thanks again
jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
White smoke is almost always engine coolant just as blue smoke is oil and black smoke is too much fuel(rich mixture). If your radiator and/or coolant overflow reservoir was low, then you are most likely eating engine coolant. If the coolant isn't dripping on the ground then it's going out the tailpipe. On most cars I'd say you've got a head gasket either going or gone for sure. Here's a good way to check for a leaking head gasket:

A) start the car after letting it set unitil it is cold, overnight will do. Remove your radiator cap and make sure the coolant level is full. Look for bubbles rising to the top of the radiator. Goose the throttle a couple times. Don't let the car run too long, < 5 minutes, as the engine heats up the engine coolant expands and will start to run out of the radiator onto the ground. This doesn't always work because your head gasket may be leaking between cylinders instead of between a cylinder and a water jacket in the block.

B) perform a cylinder leak down test. Either have a shop do it or buy a cylinder compresson guage. Remove one spark plug at a time, thread in your compression guage into the spark plug hole, disable the ignition system, turn the engine over, record the compression of each cylinder in turn. Do this when the engine is bone cold. If you have a leaky head gasket, you'll note either one or two cylinders have lower compression than the others. They usually be significantly lower, say 20-30% lower. This will always tell you if you have a head gasket leaking.

C) there is a tool that many auto shops have which attaches to your radiator and can pressurize the cooling system. If you have a leaky head gasket, this pressure tester will begin to loose pressure as coolant escapes the head gasket. This is a good test as well.

Check your oil cap where you add oil to the engine block. If you have any white foam or milky substance in that cap, you definitely have a head gasket leaking.

I don't remember, from my '94 TT, but if the turbos are have water cooled bearings, then you could have a turbo leaking water into the intake or exhaust. This would be last resort in checking.

Those are just some of my educated guesses. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

--MrGoodWrench

J

·
0 Posts
blue smoke and white smoke look identical if youre not looking at the smoke very carefully. chnaces are when you start youre car you dont get to look at the puff of smoke very carefully. have someone start the car for you in the morning and observe the smoke puff very closely to see if it is a light blue color. if it is i would say its probably youre valve stem seals

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you so much for that info both of you guys, i will have the shop check out my compression n have them check for a leaky head gasket.......i hope its not because i think it was just condensation because it was always late at night or early morning where i would start my car.... but today when i took it to the shop i didnt notice any smoke..... but i will have to check just in case
thanks
jason

1 - 20 of 26 Posts